Julian to Borrego Springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carl L said:
You climb 6000 feet going into Julian and then lose 4500 feet quickly.   CA-79 and 78 to Julian is two lane mountain road.   CA78 toward Borrego Springs via Yaqui Pass is twisty mountain road.   I would camp at Borrego Springs and do Julian as a day trip in the car.  Better weather, less fuel used.   Besides Julian will be cold and off season.  Borrego will be pleasant and in season.   Lots of good back country exploring -- jeep tours available.
carl how far would it be if they went from julian to san deigo wild animal park, it did not seem to far to me, that is if they are interested.

slumbert55 said:
carl how far would it be if they went from julian to san deigo wild animal park, it did not seem to far to me, that is if they are interested.

34 miles along CA-78.  However, I would base in Escondido or even San Diego for that excursion, not Borrego Springs.

Arrived today in Borrego Springs, Peg Leg monument area. The drive from El Centro was an easy drive, 4 lane divided for most of the drive. Took the car to Santa Ysabel and Juian. Yeah, the road was curvy and up and down, but have done harder drives. I would consider driving the coach next time, tho I might get a lot of cars behind me mad :D

BernieD said:
Arrived today in Borrego Springs, Peg Leg monument area. The drive from El Centro was an easy drive, 4 lane divided for most of the drive. Took the car to Santa Ysabel and Juian. Yeah, the road was curvy and up and down, but have done harder drives. I would consider driving the coach next time, tho I might get a lot of cars behind me mad :D

Bernie,

Glad you arrived at Anza. Please don't tell too many people. We don't want that place getting crowded! :) Yes, you can do it in a coach but it's a lot of work and just spoils the trip.

Jim Dick said:
Bernie,

Glad you arrived at Anza. Please don't tell too many people. We don't want that place getting crowded! :) Yes, you can do it in a coach but it's a lot of work and just spoils the trip.

Not only that I bet it makes the copilot a bit uneasy. ;D

Jim Dick said:
Bernie,

Jim

Hey, I was too busy with the steering wheel and brakes to enjoy the trip. Doubt if I could have enjoyed it much less in the coach :-\

BernieD said:
Jim

Hey, I was too busy with the steering wheel and brakes to enjoy the trip. Doubt if I could have enjoyed it much less in the coach :-\

That's the problem with S22. ;D The driver misses a lot trying to keep from running over the cliff! Fortunately there are pull offs where people can stop and enjoy the view.

Now you have to do the hike that Terry & I do whenever we are in Anza. Near the top of S22 there is a trail that leads all the way back down to a parking area just as you turn left out of Borrego Springs to head up the mountain. I think it's about a 5 mile hike. There is an area about half way down that has just about every type of cactus that grows in that area. It's really pretty. We've done it at least 3 or 4 times. It's pretty strenuous considering you are coming down some pretty steep areas. Can only imagine what it would be like to go up the trail!!!

Jim

>>Now you have to do the hike that Terry & I do whenever we are in Anza.<<

I really miss that hike, can't find anyone else that will do it with me, and won't do it by myself in case I got hurt.

We probably did that run both ways more than twenty - thirty times from El Centro to Julian, one of our favorite day off destinations.

We did it in our 23' Leprechaun C with the three kids laying on the front queen overhead and looking out the front window. No wonder they love roller coasters! ::)

Jim Dick said:
Now you have to do the hike that Terry & I do whenever we are in Anza. Near the top of S22 there is a trail that leads all the way back down to a parking area just as you turn left out of Borrego Springs to head up the mountain.

Jim

Did something like that today in the XTerra, a trail highly recommended by one of the Visitor Center volunteers. Drove back up to the top of S22 and took the Grapevine Canyon road back down to Yaqui Wells. Not very technical and doable in 2 wheel drive, but a lot easier than hiking.

Terry,

We'll do it again, my friend, whenever we can get back out there. It sure is a pretty view from up above! I agree one should not do it alone. It sure is remote once you pass the first peak!

How about the Calcite Mine?? ;D ;D Guess we'll have to skip that great trip. Truck is much too big for that climb now. Guess we could hike it but that would take all day. :)

Jim

>>How about the Calcite Mine??<<

The last time we tried it, I think it was with you, we almost didn't make it due to road deterioration's...I think we both need Jeep Rubicons with factory lockers & lift kits....haven't had muck luck convincing Betty though.<G>

Terry A. Brewer said:
Jim

>>How about the Calcite Mine??<<

The last time we tried it, I think it was with you, we almost didn't make it due to road deterioration's...I think we both need Jeep Rubicons with factory lockers & lift kits....haven't had muck luck convincing Betty though.<G>

Yes, we did it with you. If you remember, when you went to check on the next trail the Ranger told you the Calcite Mine trail was not drivable! Who needs a Jeep? We had GV's!!! ;D ;D I imagine that trail has deteriorated even more by now. Sure would not want to end up in that gully!!!

BernieD said:
Jim

Did something like that today in the XTerra, a trail highly recommended by one of the Visitor Center volunteers. Drove back up to the top of S22 and took the Grapevine Canyon road back down to Yaqui Wells. Not very technical and doable in 2 wheel drive, but a lot easier than hiking.

The best  4 wheeling touring area in Anza Borrego is the Split-Mountain/Fish Creek drainage.  Lots of stuff to see -- for example the Anticline, the oyster beds, and Sandstone Cyn, a slot canyon.

BernieD said:
Jim

Bernie,

That might be the other one Terry & I did only we did it in the other direction. Now that makes a big difference near the bottom as there was a very steep and short climb that took some planning to accomplish. Make sure you get to Font's point. It's on S22 back towards the Salton Sea. Only a couple of miles or less from Peg Leg Smith monument. It's definitely worth the trip. You will follow a dry wash most of the way.

Carl,

Will have to remember that one. Don't think we've been there. We did do the trail from Henderson Canyon that is across the creek from the horse camp. Not bad till you get to the water crossing. ;D

Carl

An update FYI to your AB data base. The ranger informed us that AB now has over 700,000 acres. ;)

Jim Dick said:
That might be the other one Terry & I did only we did it in the other direction. Now that makes a big difference near the bottom as there was a very steep and short climb that took some planning to accomplish.

Jim

From the top down, don't remember anything like that. Must look a lot different looking UP :D

Make sure you get to Font's point. It's on S22 back towards the Salton Sea. Only a couple of miles or less from Peg Leg Smith monument. It's definitely worth the trip. You will follow a dry wash most of the way.

Did that, outstanding views. Our only complaint, and that covers nearly all the trips that we have taken so far, is the roughness of the roads. Very wavy and the park has no funds for road maintenance.

Drove out to Coyote Canyon today and got as far as 3rd crossing. The crossing was crossable, but wouldn't attempt the road a couple of hundred yards up the wash without another vehicle along. We were passed by a Toyota factory team training new recruits in FJ Cruisers, about a dozen of them. They planned to drive the whole route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom