Julian to Borrego Springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wendycoke said:
Best easy, solo 4WD drive in Anza Borrego???

The safest would be Font's Point just east of Peg Leg Smith monument. Lots of folks take that trip so usually there'll be someone around if you get in trouble. Great for sunsets but take it during the day first so you know where you are going.

wendycoke said:

Wendy

We enjoyed the drive out to 3rd crossing, north on Di Giorgio Dr out of Borrego Springs into the park and follow trail. Beautiful scenery along the way. The ranger station can give you updated trail info and status. 2nd crossing may be a problem if water level is too high, otherwise an easy crossing. DO NOT drive past 3rd crossing, get out and walk a bit further up the trail if the water is down but you won't be able to drive alone and without extensive off-road gear after about 100 yds past the crossing. Still nice to explore. Pack a lunch, a few nice stopping points. We stopped on the way back at 1st crossing and had a nice lunch alongside the river( ???).

wendycoke said:

1.  Fonts Point as mentioned.  A lot of 2wd sedans make the run sucessfully.

2.  Fish Creek Drainage out of Split Mountain.  Gets well back and is heavily used so you are not likely to be there alone.  Go down to Ocotillio Wells on Hwy 78.  Turn south onto Split Mountain Rd. and go south on it till you see the trail into the Split Mt. gorge turn off the paveement there and head into the gorge.  Plan on a full day trip.  Take at least a gallon of water per person.  Lots to see starting with The Anticline.  Good dry wash sand for most of the trip.  No little rock crawling that is mandatory.  Sandstone canyon is a nice slot canyon but turn around at the first good wide spot to save your self some 16 point turning -- definitely before The Squeeze.

Regards,

Carl L 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Font's View sounds like a possibility.

Bernie, is the ride you mention out Coyote Canyon? We were at DiGiorgio and Henderson Canyon Rd today and the flowers are spectacular.

Thanks also for the advice. No need to get yourselves all in a tizzy, guys, we aren't planning on doing serious, hard core 4WDing, which is why I asked about easy solo trips. With as many people as there are in the park (I forgot it was spring break at a lot of California schools), I don't think many of the short 4WD roads will be deserted. And we do have some experience traveling in the desert.  ;)

Wendy
Anza Borrego SP

Wendy

Take the Seventeen Palms & Pumpkin Patch trail it starts at S-22 & Arroyo Salado Campground.

I recommend you buy the book "The Anza-Borrego Desert Region" by Lowell & Diana Lindsay.  You can get it at the Visitor's center.

Thanks Terry.

I bought the book yesterday at the VC.....spend more time reading and planning then I do actually "doing" anything :) 

Went on a volunteer-guided hike this morning at Truckhaven Rocks and after the hike, decided to drive down and check out the Arroyo Salada. Mike thinks we should take the motorhome there on Friday when we have to leave the campground. But if we did, it would be a great starting place to do 17 Palms, wouldn't it?

Wendy
Anza Borrego SP

wendycoke said:
Bernie, is the ride you mention out Coyote Canyon? We were at DiGiorgio and Henderson Canyon Rd today and the flowers are spectacular.
/quote]

Wendy

Our books are in the coach so can't describe it accurately. Coyote Canyon seems possilbe, but can't say for sure. We got our routing from one of the volunteers at the Ranger station.

From Henderson Canyon and Di Giorgio go north on Di Giorgio which takes you into the Park and follow the trail.

Wendy,

We need photos!!!! ;D ;D Here's Henderson Canyon in February, 2005.

Attachments

• Anza Borrego Flowers.JPG
    Anza Borrego Flowers.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 20
I've got pictures, I just need to figure out how to get them from the camera to the computer and then attach them to my message. Mike took a bunch of pictures, too. Maybe he'll help me when he gets up. I downloaded Picasa a couple of days ago and need to play with it so this is my chance.

Jim, your picture looks like it was about the same place we were yesterday but with more flowers. Locals say this is a very good bloom but nothing can compare with '05. If Anza Borrego was anything like Death Valley, it was a hundred-year bloom and we'll never see the like again in our lifetimes.

Wendy
flower-watching in Anza Borrego

Wendy,

If you figure out how to get them from the camera to your PC, here's how to attach photos to messages. Remember that there's a 200Kb file size limit on individual photos, a combined max of 2Mb and 12 photos per message. If you need to attach more than that, just reply to your own message and attach more photos to the reply.

Thanks Tom. I'm gonna give it a try today. It's way past time I learned how to do something with the digital pictures I take. You know, I never had trouble figuring out what to do and how to get prints with my film camera.

Wendy
ABDSP

Wendy,

Yes, that was the year of the 100 year bloom. Sure glad we were there. I'm betting what you have mostly is the Sand Verbena. It's the low growing purple flowers that we could not see in '05 due to the other, taller, blossoms. ;D The attached photo is Sand Verbena from 2001.

Attachments

• Anza Borrego021 (Medium).JPG
    Anza Borrego021 (Medium).JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 19
There's a huge variety of flowers blooming....sand verbena, desert dandelions, desert sunflowers, chicory, phacelia, chuparosa, heron's bill, lupine, desert trumpet, cryptantha, pincushion, encelia, cactus of all kinds, the list goes on. Me and my flower books have been very busy. I really do have to post some pictures tonight.

Wendy
ABDSP

wendycoke said:
There's a huge variety of flowers blooming....sand verbena, desert dandelions, desert sunflowers, chicory, phacelia, chuparosa, heron's bill, lupine, desert trumpet, cryptantha, pincushion, encelia, cactus of all kinds, the list goes on. Me and my flower books have been very busy. I really do have to post some pictures tonight.

Wendy
ABDSP

That's good news! Glad there are quite a few varieties. Looking forward to your photos. :)

wendycoke said:

Wendy
ABDSP

Oh GOODY!  ;D    We will be in ABDSP arriving on Thursday March 27 at Palm Canyon RV Resort.  Gotta crank up the new digital SLR.

Carl. It's starting to warm up (86 yesterday here in the campground) so the flowers may start to die off this week. But I'm sure there will still be plenty left when you get here and there's always the higher country. I'm sure that new camera will get a great workout.

Wendy
ABDSP

Wendy,

We are in Kernville, CA which is about 3500' elevation and set in a canyon with mountains all around.  You can see the "line of demarkation".  At certain levels flowers are blooming and above it nothing yet. But down here they are just starting to bloom.  Charlie and I went on a hike yesterday and I'm attaching a photo.

Marsha~

Attachments

• Charlie&Flowers.jpg
    Charlie&Flowers.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 20
Charlie's growing up !! And it looks like he's getting pollinated. Gordon ran free through the flowers yesterday (ousdie the park, of course) and had specks of yellow on his face and head.

Wendy
ABDSP

I warned Gordon that that cute little poodle is going to be bigger than he is when they meet again in Moab !! Maybe they can chase each other around in the big field and wear each other out !!

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom