Television

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mostek

Hey Guys. Has anyone attached a flat panel T.V. to the wall with an articulating arm on it. I was just curious about how one might go about installing it. How to attach it and what to stay away from doing. I plan on taking it down every time I travel so I am not worried about that being a problem.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Nick

I was thinking of taking a square board large enough to secure to a couple of studs and secure the TV arn to that.

If the board is well fastened to the wall, you can secure the TV with shock cords while traveling.  We installed a board in the cutout in the dash where the original TV was located and fastened an articulating VESA mount to it.  The TV stays mounted and secured with one shock cord to keep it from swinging out when moving.

I have done it, I replaced the CRT job in my bedroom with a Flat screen tv/monitor, Kind of wished I'd waited but as it turns out I really needed that monitor about 2 months after I installed it so it was a good thing it was there.

Here is what I have found

1: Make sure the base mounting bolts are screwed int a STRONG support. Many of the walls in a motor home are paper thin and won't take the weight, try to find a stud (I did, on the first try) The more screws that go into a stud the better but at least two of them need to,  Prefered is one side or top two

Two, Check the assorted bolts and screws OFTEN, like every time you stop.. Had one of the joints come apart on me.. Locktite is NOT a good idea here but the green might help.

Next, when the TV is in the "Store" position I have a pair of shock cords crossed in front of it, work right well, and I rigged a "hook" latch at the bottom.  So far, since doing that, I've not had a problem

Finally  Find a good use for all that storage space you now have.. I store a VCR, DVD player and a FTA receiver in mine :)

Your idea will work. I used a 3/4 in plywood sheet to fill the space between windows on either side, overhead cabinets above, and desk below. Right angle brackets on all four edges. Battens on the backside so we did not need to recess the nuts for the articulated arm. Bungee cords Keep the 30 inch monitor stable during travel.

The tv shelf that is there now does not seem sturdy at all. The tv will be mounted next to the door. On your right as you walk in. Between the door and the bedroom curtain/slide. I was thinking of securing it to the top plate and to two studs because there is nothing else there to secure it too. Do most of you leave it on the wall during transport or do you take it down?

Rigs that have a tv as standard equipment usually have a sturdy cabinet and/or other tie downs that keep the tv in place while in motion, so they can be left as is. I suspect that many folks here are in that category.  If yours does not have something like that, you need to make some tie downs or stow the tv away for travel.

Back
Top Bottom