Full lunar eclipse on Feb. 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
See this article for the details, but it's going to be in the early evening hours for those of us in the western part of the country (8:00pm MST).  The next total eclipse for the Americas isn't until December 20?21, 2010.

For you photographers, try getting a time sequence.  Set up on a tripod and take a shot about every 15 minutes starting at the beginning of the penumbra shadow, and continuing until the moon finally leaves the earth's shadow.  Then use your favorite editing program to put all the shots into a single image.  Remember that the moon will apparently move from east to west during the eclipse, but it's actually moving west to east with respect to the earth's shadow.  Should make a very nice image, worthy of APOD.

Just a little sample of time-lapse photography.

All you need is a camera, a light source and a little patience.  ???

Image courtesy of APOD.

carson FL

Attachments

• winter_solstice_pivato_800c.jpg
    winter_solstice_pivato_800c.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 66
Don't forget, tonight's the night.  Last chance until 2012.

In Lancaster CA we'll be lucky to see any sky tonight.  Had serious wind last night and huge black clouds around noon today that eventually turned into a short hail storm and now some rain.  Oh well...they need the rain.

ArdraF

Ned, I wish that I could see it, but it looks like the cloud cover has moved into East Texas so I doubt that we can see it here in Beaumont.  Hope someone takes some pictures and posts them so we can at least see that.  Thanks for the information.

Dan

It's been mostly clear all day, but now it's starting to cloud up in El Mirage.  The forecast for tonight is rather cloudy :(  At least the predicted rain showers didn't materialize.

Ned, high clouds moving over Boise, tonight. May see it, anyway! Will let you know.

Ray D  ;D

Dau & her husband are outside setting up the telescope as it is about to start.  Too cold for me, it's about 27F out, and I'm not aclimitized to the cold yet, just back from St Petes

California beach town.....rained this a.m. then this afternoon the wind started blowing like a banshee, which means the clouds have all blown away but more storms are expected. Maybe the eclipse will happen in between the clouds???

Wendy
Bolsa Chica State Beach, California

Yep it is getting cooler here too already down to 57F but I will brave the cold and go and watch the eclipse.  Oh sever clear here tonight.

The clouds are just clearing out now at 1923MST and we can see the partial eclipse through the thin cloud cover.  It looks like it will be clear for totality in a half hour or so.

Not exactly a clear shot, but the eclipse - partial - is visible at this time. Like some of the rest, hoping it holds for totality.  :-\

7:31, Mtn time.

Ray D  ;D

7:58 PM, fairly clear shot. Best I can tell, totality in Boise, Idaho. Dull orange moon!  ;D

Kick in the posterior!  ;D

Thanks again for the heads-up, Ned.  ;D

Watched intermittent stages through thin high clouds and only got a 3 decent shots of the penumbral stage.  Totality was barely visible through the thin clouds in binoculars but the photos didn't turn out at all.  Just not enough light.

Attachments

• Eclipse2 (Medium).JPG
    Eclipse2 (Medium).JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom