State of Residency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gottasmilealot

How do your full time nomad type folks determine your state of residency for tax filing purposes if your home is "everywhere"?  Just curious.

Gottasmilealot said:
How do your full time nomad type folks determine your state of residency for tax filing purposes if your home is "everywhere"?  Just curious.

Keith:

We chose South Dakota because of low tax rates, easily residence requirements, and simple, low-cost, drivers licenses, and vehicle registration and insurance.

You can choose a state that you like. Or you can choose a state where you'll pay the least amount of money for taxes, vehicle registration, etc. Some states have no income tax. Others have very low vehicle registration fees. Decide what's best for you and do your homework. You can find info in the library here and by searching previous discussions.

Wendy
Blythe CA

Jeff Cousins said:
Keith:

We chose South Dakota because of low tax rates, easily residence requirements, and simple, low-cost, drivers licenses, and vehicle registration and insurance.
Same considerations when we chose TX plus the Escapees headquarters are there and the escapees mail service.  Additionally if your MH is currently registered in another state TX does not charge sales tax even if you never paid sales tax previously.  Either state is good.

Anyone ever looked into either Delaware or Nevada, two additional states with no income taxes?

Bob

There is a lot to look at in deciding what state to call home. NV, even tho they have no income tax, has a high vehicle registration fee. A friend of ours was registered in CA at a fee of 880/yr. He moved to NV and his registration went to 2200! I would not even consider AZ.

I, being a bred & born Texan, wanted to become a Texas resident for tax, insurance, and registration purposes. After a lot of research, I found the best place to go was South Dakota.

Another consideration when considering residence is health insurance.

In Nevada it depends on the county you live in... I think Clark (Las Vegas, Lauglin) is the worst for registration but have not checked them all.. Vehicle registration funds the education system, such as it is

The article on fulltiming dismisses Alaska as a domicile choice on account of the stiff requirements related to the Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD).

It is true that applying for the PFD requires you to attest to physical presence in the state for most of the year (I think it's 11 of the 12 months except under special circumstances), and it is also true that making a false statement on your filing is considered a felony (and these are vigorously pursued and prosecuted),  it is also worthy to note that one may be an Alaska resident without choosing to apply for the PFD.

BobG said:
Anyone ever looked into either Delaware or Nevada, two additional states with no income taxes?

Bob

Delaware has a income tax but no sales tax

Back
Top Bottom