Four Wheel Drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strikenmike

My wife and I are planning to buy a truck camper (Lance 845 or 950).  I am going crazy trying to determine the proper truck without breaking the bank.  I am probably going to end up with a 3500 series truck with dulleys.  We intend to use our rig primarily four touring, as opposed to extended stay camping.  We will normally stop in public campgrounds.
Please share your thoughts about the necessity of having four wheel drive.  What about diesel power?

Thanks for your help.

If anyone has an opinion, I would be interested in why you think a truck camper is superior to a B-Class MH.  With this truck issue going the way it is, the cost is going to be quite similar.

I would lean towards a diesel. I have had both with truck campers, diesel is better.  4wd vs 2wd, I have 4wd, I have never needed it.  Back when I bought the truck I had a use for 4wd, but no longer.  Dually vs single.  Dually gives more stability.  I don't have it, but don't miss it either, it makes a difference but the single still works great.  90% of my driving is with camper off. 

Watch your weight.  Buy the truck to fit the camper.  You are looking at a LAnce, the Harley Davidson of the TC world.  Good unit, but others are too, look around, you may find another with same floorplan and better weight or price. 

Look at TorkLift for tie downs, and also for additional springs.  They make a unit called a Super Spring, easy to install, and helpd the ride.  Another good addition is to change out the bump stops.  The truck will sit down a bit, but the overloads won't hit the stops.  The overloads don't really come into action until that happens, so, bigger ones tame the ride even more. 

I agree with the diesel.  I tow either 4x4 or AWD.  I rarely needed them on the road for the past 80000 miles.  However there have been a few places that allowed you to drive on the beach, or in the desert and that ever inticing little dirt backroad.

I primarily have 4x4, AWD because our stick house is in an area that can receive lots of snow.

Russ

Snow is something you need to consider in Illinois. A dually is near useless in the stuff without a lot of weight, the load is spread over a large area (four tires) and chains often cannot be fitted. The tire may be too close to the spring. Unless you plan to haul large loads, I would suggest staying with single rear wheels.
I like 4wd for those occasional muddy campgrounds and for winter driving but it is an expensive set of chains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom