dash air conditioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsy-jim

I recently purchased a 2004 Dutch Star.  I maybe expecting more than the unit can deliver, but should the dash air really cool the driver area?  I get some cool air but it is not cold even in max air as in a car.  We are driving in Florida and it has been in the 80's but I am not sure what to expect.  Is it time to have a professional look at it and if so is anything unique to the Spartan Cummins combo.
Thanks for your help
Jim & Viv

Many of us run the genset and roof air when A/C is desirred.  Not only does it work better but is more efficient.  Another benefit is it helps extend the usefull life of the genset as it is getting run under load.

Ron said:
Many of us run the genset and roof air when A/C is desirred.  Not only does it work better but is more efficient.  Another benefit is it helps extend the usefull life of the genset as it is getting run under load.

Ron,

How often would you advise running your genset?

We try to make a point of running the genset once a month.  In the summer with the AC running and in the winter with electric heater running.  Non use of the genset can cause problems.

Mick,

Take note of Ron's other comment to put a load on the generator while running. (i.e. turn on stuff that consumes lots of power.)

Your dash a/c vents should blow nice cold air, just like your car. However, it won't cool the whole interior like in the much smaller car, especially if the sun is beating in that huge windshield.  That's why most of us run the genny and the house a/c system (at least the front zone) when it is hot out. That will cool the interior nicely and it is efficient as well.

Also, it might be a good idea to check the freon or whatever is used in the A/C for coolant.  We've had it leak out and the first sign is that it doesn't seem to cool much when we think it should.

ArdraF

gypsy-jim said:
I recently purchased a 2004 Dutch Star.  I maybe expecting more than the unit can deliver, but should the dash air really cool the driver area?  I get some cool air but it is not cold even in max air as in a car.  We are driving in Florida and it has been in the 80's but I am not sure what to expect.  Is it time to have a professional look at it and if so is anything unique to the Spartan Cummins combo.
Thanks for your help
Jim & Viv

Jim,

Your dash air should be able to cool the driver's area but it certainly won't cool the whole coach. Running the genset and the roof air will be a much better solution.

Mick & Pat said:
Ron,

How often would you advise running your genset?

Mick,

Usually Ownen will recommend running the genset at least 30 minutes/month for proper maintenance. If you don't and have a problem within the warranty period you just might have to pay for the repairs.

Are you still in the area???

Ron said:

That's how we do it.  The only problem we've come across so far is when the navigator goes to sleep on the sofa with iPod and the driver starts freezing and he can't wake me up change the air.

cuts_up said:
That's how we do it.  The only problem we've come across so far is when the navigator goes to sleep on the sofa with iPod and the driver starts freezing and he can't wake me up change the air.

The navigator needs some training to turn the AC temp up to say 78 before taking a nap. ;D ;D ;D ;D

The typical automotive dash air is capable of 21000 BTUH.  In the max position you should definitely get cold air. You can get replacement coolant at auto supply stores in a kit with instructions.  Or get professional help.
Art

King -
you should have added that if the coolant is low - there's a leak and should be fixed ASAP.
A/C is a closed system, have a qualified technician check for leaks and repair it, then recharge system.
this may require a complete evacuation, test, repair and re-charge - this can be costly, so go to a qualified
technician for this work.

Thank you all for your help.  We have it scheduled for repair next Monday although the mechanic said it was not the coolant.  I will let you know after paying the bill

Back
Top Bottom