Nearly time to start moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathan

We're planning on leaving Happy Trails mid-March, head West to Indio for a few days, then we want to take 101 up the California coast on our way to Junction City Oregon.  I'm told taking the RV on 101 spoils the journey for the driver, better to leave it somewhere and go in the toad.  Any views on that, and other stopping places on the way to Oregon would be ppreciated.

Terry

Terry:

Highway 101 should be just fine.  I think you're hearing about Highway 1.  Highway 1 can be white-knuckle territory in some spots, but OK in others.  There are many beautiful Oregon State Parks along 101 in Oregon.  That highway is also quite beautiful through the California Redwoods. 

Margi

Hi Terry!

Redwood National Park is on U.S. 101 and a great place to stop.  Benbow Inn is near Garberville on 101 and it has an RV park and golf course.  CA 1 is the white knuckle route.  The only good news about it is that you would northbound and, as such, on the inside edge of the cliffs.  ;)

ArdraF

Terry

As others have mentioned you don't want to travel Route 1, NOT FOR MOTORHOMES. Last summer we picked up US 101 north of San Francisco and drove it all the way to Astoria, OR (northern border of OR). Easy driving without any concerns. Many great places to stay and see. For the most part we drove 40 miles and parked 3 nites. Did lots of sightseeing and eating oysters.

Some of our memorable campgrounds along the way were Mad River Rapids, Arcata, CA, Shoreline RV Park, Crescent City, CA,  Charleston Marina & RV Park, Charleston, OR, Winchester Bay Marina, Winchester Bay, OR and Pacific Shores RV Park (Outdoor Resorts), Newport, OR . Russ has also stayed at the Newport Harbor RV Park-right next to the Rogue Brewery and it's distillery ;D. He liked that also. if you stay at Crescent City, it is downtown on the ocean, get a site in the first row, you are facing the ocean without obstruction.

Hi Terry and Lillianne,,
So sorry to miss you this winter due to our Mexican adventure.  We would have loved for you to see our new home in Yuma.  God willling we will all have another chance for a get together. 

Your trip up the coast should indeed include Winchester Bay and the lighthouses in the area, especially after dark. I enjoyed the Rogue Brewery (beer side, too) in Newport.

Betty

Terry,

As others have mentioned it's the 1 that is not for RVs. The 101 is fine. We took it from Vallejo to the pass to Eugene 3 years ago and it was fabulous. Very nice road and scenery that is very photographic! From Vallejo we crossed over the wine country to the 101. I'm not sure but it might have been Rt.37 that we took out of Vallejo to the 101. From there north it was a great road.

Jim

.... it might have been Rt.37 that we took out of Vallejo to the 101.

You have a good memory Jim. Hwy 37 to HWY 101 it is.

If Terry & Liliane are going to be in that area (Vallejo), they won't be more than an hour from us, and I hope we'll be able to meet. Terry, be sure to keep us updated on your itinerary and planned route. Thanks.

Tom,

Wish I could say it was my memory. I checked SA and saw the main route. ;D ;D It was a wonderful drive up the coast. I hope they do get to see you. We sure enjoyed our visit!

Terry and Lilliane, we're so sorry to have missed you this trip, but as Betty said, hopefully on your next trip.  Also sorry you're going up to Oregon so early ( :D) as we're planning that for May on our way further north for the summer.  Anyway, have a safe trip there and back home and we'll see you when we see you.

Daisy

Ron said:
Sounds like we will get to the Phoenix area before Terry & Lilliane head out.  Probably be seeing the Phoenix crowd next week.

Sounds like it is time for another party. ;D

Daisy said:
Terry and Lilliane, we're so sorry to have missed you this trip, but as Betty said, hopefully on your next trip.  Also sorry you're going up to Oregon so early ( :D) as we're planning that for May on our way further north for the summer.  Anyway, have a safe trip there and back home and we'll see you when we see you.

Hi Fred and Daisy, we'll be spending July and August on Vancouver Island and in BC.  Any chance of meeting up somewhere?  Terry 
[edit]Fixed quote tag.[/edit]

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I?ve plotted all your suggestions on the map, now all we have to do ? is do it!  I hope the back end of March/early April isn?t too soon though?

Sensible advice seems we should avoid doing Route 1 from Paso Robles to Monterey in the MH, so leave that at Paso Robles, drive Rte 1 in the Grand Vitara, then return to the MH via 101?  Is Hearst Castle worth a visit?

We missed seeing you this winter Betty and Terry, but we?ve followed your adventures day by day ? awesome trip.  God willing we?ll see you (and your new home) next winter.

Terry N

Do we really need an excuse Jeff.  Just been to lunch with Phil - Jack in the Box - burger and coke!  Please don't tell Liliane.

Where will ou be staying Ron?

Terry

Yes, Terry, Hearst Castle is definitely worth the visit.  They offer several tours.  Please do remember this is the Colonists version of a castle.  ;)  But the Hearsts loved things like Flemish tapestries so they imported a lot of stuff.  It and Biltmore in Asheville NC are our two largest castles and both were monumental construction jobs partly because of their locations.  And both the Hearsts and the Vanderbilts were interesting families who played major roles in our history.

The southern part of CA 1 is fine for RVs, just not that portion north of SF.

ArdraF

Terry and Lilliane:

Let's see if we can't have a get-together in July or August, since we'll be in Sequim, just across the Strait from you.  Would love to make it happen.  We'll be there for the summer, visiting son and family in Port Angeles.  Let's keep in touch.

Daisy

Yes Daisy and Fred, great idea.  All being well we intend to take the ferry from P.Angees to Victoria around 3 July.  Terry

Back
Top Bottom