Verizon likely to add overage charge to BBA plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexSian

There's a good chance that Verizon broadbandaccess plans starting sometime in early March will have an overage charge attached to them for every MB beyond 5 GB in a billing month.

If you have been thinking about getting verizon service, it might be best to do it quickly.

EVDOalex said:
There's a good chance that Verizon broadbandaccess plans starting sometime in early March will have an overage charge attached to them for every MB beyond 5 GB in a billing month.

Does that mean that current subscribers will be grandfathered in and not have to pay the surcharge? Do you have an idea what the packet size I see when I look at my activity means, i.e. size in bytes or bits? Knowing what a packet is would help me determine whether approximately 160 MB per day is something I might often exceed. Is the 5 GB cutoff for downloads or for a combination of downloads and uploads?

Thanks. Richard

The 5 GB is total data transfer, up and down.  Let me assure you, Richard, that for someone like you  the 5 GB figure is probably 5-10x your typical usage. Maybe even more.  You have to download entire DVD movies regularly to come even close to that figure. 

For example, a typical email (no attachments) is 2-10 KB. With a typical digital picture attached it might be 100-500 KB. Surfing the web might be anywhere from 100kb to 400KB per page view. Sounds like a lot, but a gigabyte is over a 1,000,000 KB, so 5 GB is still a huge amount of email and page views.

I'm not sure where you are seeing a packet count. Verizon presents the usage data in bytes, not packets every pace I can think of.

RV Roamer said:
The 5 GB is total data transfer, up and down. 

I'm not sure where you are seeing a packet count. Verizon presents the usage data in bytes, not packets every pace I can think of.

Gary, thanks for the information. I am not presently using Verizon's Broadband service but am considering it. The packets I see are from the usage information that I see for the WiFi service here at Voyager RV Resort. I thought that 5 GB would be more than I normally use since I have never downloaded a DVD. My usage consists of e-mail, RVForum and Internet surfing.

I have attached a screen shot of my WiFi usage.

Richard

Attachments

• Voyager Status.JPG
    Voyager Status.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 13
A TCP/IP packet is typically about 1500 bytes, but can be changed for different types of network connections.  Unless you've run a program to optimize your connection properties, you can assume the 1500 bytes as the packet size.  I don't know why the WiFi connection status shows activity in packets as my Ethernet connection shows actual bytes.

RLSharp said:
Does that mean that current subscribers will be grandfathered in and not have to pay the surcharge?
thats the theory behind my early warning.
if you get a contract NOW, instead of after the overage charges are in affect, you may avoid the overage charges.

Alex:

Any idea if that includes the unlimited broadband for PDA's? I usually turn the option on and off as we travel.

Jeff Cousins said:
Alex: Any idea if that includes the unlimited broadband for PDA's? I usually turn the option on and off as we travel.
in the past, the terms of service for PDA data plans and dedicated device plans were always the same. i suspect that will continue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom