1993 Georgie Boy Swinger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zorro623

We are looking to purchase our first MH in the next month or two.  After tons of research, we more or less know what things we'd like, now we need to figure out which models/years are reliable or quality built.  What do you think of the following?  It's a little older than we were hoping to get, but it seems to have all the features that we were looking for.  We are willing to spend a little more for a MH, but if this does the trick, why spend more?  What things should we look out for with this particular model/brand? 

http://www.funrving.com/Hidden/InventoryDetails/1993/Class%20A/Georgie%20Boy/Swinger/31/tabid/3282/invid/214371/Default.aspx

Initially we were looking at Class Cs, but have found that many Class As will serve our purposes as well.  There will be at least 3 of us traveling in this unit for a 3 week trip from Michigan to Florida and back up the East Coast in June (about 4000 miles).  So reliability is very important (especially with our being newbies).  Don't want a 3 week trip that includes sitting at a service center!

Thanks!

The GB Swinger is a low-mid range coach, not the cheapest but not the high end either. It has been a popular model, combining a moderate price with reasonable amenities, Georgie Boy is not a brand you hear a lot of complaints about.

The NADA RV Guide lists the model 3125 at $9180 - $11,060 retail and I would try to pay near the low end of that range for a "good deal".  The ad doesn't mention mileage, but that price range is for about 80,000 miles. Lower mileage would command $250-$750 more and would be worth it, in my opinion.  The model 3125 is rated a 31 footer and model 2995 a 30 footer, so I'm not sure which this is. The model 2995 is priced about $500 lower.

Buying an older motorhome always has the risk of some early time in the service center. I would plan on taking several short trips to shake out on latent problems before embarking on a 3 week family vacation. I would also plan on replacing all belts, hoses, filters and fluids unless there are maintenance records showing some or all of this has been done on a regular basis. Tires too are likely to require replacement - a 93 is likely to be at end of life for its second set of tires (7 years typical life span, regardless of tread wear).

Back
Top Bottom