Do you play "dress up as an Englishman" in the USA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Whilst working at a campground in the UK last year, I encountered my first "Country & Western Week".

What an eye opener that was !!!!

A couple of times each year, 3 large campgrounds are overwhelmed by "cowboys and indians" - the main event being in September.

I was driving people around the one campground in a minibus - and it was strange having adult males climb into the bus dressed as red indians, with painted faces and dressed just like out of a cowboy movie - whilst wearing a full sized buffalo head and skin !!

Here is a link to various photos from last year - BREAN COUNTRY AND WESTERN WEEK

So - the question has to be - is there anywhere in the USA that you all meet up and dress like the English in bowler hats and 3-piece pinstripe suits, whilst carrying your brolly and a copy of The Times  ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Paul

LOL Paul, I'm not aware of anyone who here who dresses in a bowler. OTOH most folks pretend they're from Ireland around St. Paddy's day. I'll be wearing (and eating) my leek on St. David's day.

BTW which way do the horses go around roundabouts? Straight over the top?

Did the chap wearing a sombrero attend the wrong event?

People dressed like cowboys is something you see everyday in Texas.  It's part of many people's wardrobes whether they are actually cowboys or not.  The only Englishman's attire I've seen copied is Sid Vicious.   

You're just not paying attention Ron.

Attachments

• Indian.jpg
    Indian.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Indian2.jpg
    Indian2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 50
Well Ron, I have seen folks "Dressed up like Indians" two different kinds, at some of the places I've stopped at

But then one of them was the daughter of the Chief

Only after Chris bought them and took them back to the coach. She also tried to take this guy back, but he wasn't going to fit in the coach. She bought this one for me - in case I feel lonely.

Attachments

• Mounty.jpg
    Mounty.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Re hatter lost.jpg
    Re hatter lost.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 41
Tom said:
Only after Chris bought them and took them back to the coach. She also tried to take this guy back, but he wasn't going to fit in the coach. She bought this one for me - in case I feel lonely.

Why you could have tied him on the roof of the Burb. ;D ;D

I snapped a shot of this real cowboy at QZ. He's a member of the Framily.

Attachments

• roping.jpg
    roping.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 60
So - the question has to be - is there anywhere in the USA that you all meet up and dress like the English in bowler hats and 3-piece pinstripe suits, whilst carrying your brolly and a copy of The Times 

Why yes, many spots.  But not the 20th Century denizen of the City.  More like the 15th-16th Century denizens of, say, Sussex or Warwickshire:  see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_fair

I'm not aware of anyone who here who dresses in a bowler

A few weeks ago I would have agreed, but I've recently seen on TV several men with bowlers and one in person.  These were ordinary folks, not in costume.  Guess bowlers may be making a comeback, just like other hats.

ArdraF

Ah yes Carl, lots of Renaissance faires around.

Tom said:
I snapped a shot of this real cowboy at QZ. He's a member of the Framily.

Believe me, folks ... you're not ever gonna meet a more *real* cowboy than George Akers.  When our Lab, Dusty, gouged a big hunk of skin out of her side he reached into the tack compartment of his horse trailer, smeared some pink goo on her wound, and she was good as new in two days!  Bein' a cowboy is more than a vocation or avocation to George ... it's a religion in the best sense of that word.  :)  And, can he tell stories around a campfire!  :D

Margi

A "real" cowboy he is Margi, and you're also not going to meet a nicer guy than George.

I imagine "English Day" at a campground would lead to certain problems, what with Americans being less familiar with driving in the wrong direction through the campground.  In 40' tankers no less.

I think it'd be fun, though.  I'll dress up as Sherlock Holmes.

Back
Top Bottom