Slide toppers/awning question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLCBFarrell

Hello, everyone!
We just purchased a new TT over the weekend. It has 2 slide-outs on it. Slide toppers are not on it, so we're having them added as soon as the TT comes into the dealer from the manufacturer. We've looked and looked at them, but not sure what is an absolute 'must have' or 'nice to have' feature on these. Good 'ol plain white is fine for us, but should we invest the extra money in either the covers that completely surround the vinyl when the slides are in, or the metal braces (for lack of a better word) that are supposed to help 'tent' the vinyl on the topper when the slide is out, in order to promote drainage? We do plan on doing some cold weather camping, but if it does snow, I doubt that we'd be worrying about a LOT of snow, if that makes a difference in our considerations. Obviously, we're not made of money, so want to be frugal but not to the point of not getting something we should have. We are also having a 23' awning added to this TT; at this point it looks like it will be a manually operated Carefree with a center support that will help support the awning in the rolled/up position but will also have a 'leg' that will stand on the ground to help support the roller bar while the awning is extended.
Does anyone have any input towards either the toppers or the awning that they would like to share, before these items are actually installed on our trailer?
Thanks for your help,
LuAnn and Mike

MLCBFarrell said:
. . . but should we invest the extra money in either the covers that completely surround the vinyl when the slides are in, or the metal braces (for lack of a better word) that are supposed to help 'tent' the vinyl on the topper when the slide is out, in order to promote drainage?

The cover will cost a bit more, but to me is the only way to go. Since purchase of my new used rig about 2 years ago, the only continuing problem was with the topper slide. It was one of those that once the slide was extended - the same awning continued down over the 2 slide windows. At least 4 or 5 times during heavier wind, that sucker would either come completely open -- or unfurl from the wind entering the roller from the front. There is nothing in RVing that is quite as exciting as pulling over on a crowded freeway w/little of no shoulder and trying to not only fix it, but also tie it down so it doesn't happen again before the next place to pull over with adequate room to work.  :mad:

Have attached a couple of pics of my new Carefree slide topper and protective cover. Have driven about 4 or 500 miles since having it installed by the Best guys at Quartzsite - and am very pleased so far. Note that I also had window awning placed vs. the old one that was part of the topper awning. When the slide is closed, there is "no way" the wind can get to the awning.

And after 10 years of full time RVing, I have decided not to pull down my regular awning unless absolutely necessary. The wind seems to watch me, and if I leave for any time at all, it will start blowing -- and always manage to rip the fabric somehow or other. Anyway, if you are careful and try to never leave it unattended, the extra length is probably OK. The former owner of my coach replaced this awning - and I have only had it down once in my 2 years of ownership.

Attachments

• NewAwningSmall(1).jpg
    NewAwningSmall(1).jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 57
  • NewAwningSmall(2).jpg
    NewAwningSmall(2).jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 65
Having Bob's type of slide awning is well worth it becasue they help keep off leaves, snow, and rain.  Even though you may not be in much snow, you would still stand the possibility of having the slide frozen in the outward position, so anything that can help prevent it from happening is worth the cost.  In Wyoming we once had to wait around until the sun thawed things enough for us to bring in the slide.  Jerry also had to push the ice off the slide which took quite a bit of effort.  I've heard that the slide awnings that go over the edge of the slide and down over the window have more problems tearing but haven't ever had them so perhaps someone else can comment on that.

Window awnings are wonderful.  When we ordered our current coach we got awnings over every single window.  They're used all the time, whereas the big patio awning is used the least.  In the desert southwest you have to be careful with awnings because we get a lot of high winds where north-south weather systems meet and you shouldn't ever go off and leave one unattended.  Smaller window awnings can be left out a lot more.

ArdraF

I feel that the best answer is two awnings.  First, the best slide out topper awning is where the awning roller is in a box and that metal box is attached to the RV body itself (not the slide out).  Then the extending canvas topper awning is attached to the slide out.  Second, any windows on the slide out should have their own separate awnings. 

OTOH, I don't know if this is possible on a TT so you'll probably have to use a topper awning like Bob showed you in his pictures.  BTW, this type will work fine.  You'll have no problems.  Go for it! Besides extra rain protection a topper keeps blowing leaves from accumulation on the slide out roof.  Under the normal "rules of life" leaves accumulate just prior to when you want to bring the slide in.

JerryF

Hey, great replies so far! We appreciate the input.  :) We really would like to get window awnings, but they'll have to be a little further down the road when we get some more money. Right now, we're focusing on the big awning and the slider toppers. We just ordered an '08 Jayco 32BHDS. It's got 2 doors, and 2 slides. We want a longer awning than the one that comes standard on it, so that the second door that goes into the bathroom is also covered. And, it has no slide toppers at all and we knew right away that we wouldn't have a slide-out without slide toppers on it! So, the debate was over whether or not we needed the 'box' that covers the awning when the slide is in. We both really like the idea that the topper is covered when not in use.  We were really wanting to incorporate that same idea on the big main awning, but at 23', we are limited to vinyl and it appears that no guard is available in that length. So, we feel that the middle support arm is the best/only way to go. It has a bracket on it that will support the awning when it is closed, and the brace will help support the weight of the awning and roller tube when it is open with a leg that will extend down to the ground. Right now, we're waiting on comparison pricing between Dometic A&E and Carefree for both awning and toppers. So, are the two brands as comparable as they seem, and is there anything that we're missing? Anything that is a 'must have' or a 'don't worry about it'?
Thanks,
LuAnn and Mike

JerArdra said:
First, the best slide out topper awning is where the awning roller is in a box and that metal box is attached to the RV body itself (not the slide out).  Then the extending canvas topper awning is attached to the slide out. 

Why is that better, Jerry? If no wind can get to the slide while underway, why would it matter?

I'm parked at the Riverside RV Park in Laughlin, NV -- and it's about full. I have ridden my bike from one end of the park to the other and cannot find a single slide topper awning as you describe. Most of the MH's here are big rigs -- Monaco's, Prevosts, HR's, and such. Every topper awning that is covered is just like or similar to the one I had installed on my UNbig rig.

Will check out the dealership next door tomorrow to see if they have any for me to look at.

I much prefer the style that Bob and we have, where the roller is attached to the slideout and not the motorhome body.  When the slideout is retracted, there is no fabric exposed to catch the wind, whereas if the roller were on the body, there would always be some fabric exposed where it attached to the slideout.

Ned said:
I much prefer the style that Bob and we have, where the roller is attached to the slideout and not the motorhome body.  When the slideout is retracted, there is no fabric exposed to catch the wind, whereas if the roller were on the body, there would always be some fabric exposed where it attached to the slideout.

Ned

Our slide topper is mounted on the slide and we had a blowout a couple of years ago on our way to Moab. Our anti-billowing device was broken and didn't prevent the blowout.

The slideout cover that we have can't billow, as there is no exposed fabric.  When the slideout is in, the solid metal cover is against the side of the motorhome and there is no possible way for the fabric to come out.  This is our 3rd or 4th cover and it's the first intelligent design I've seen :)

My Zip Dee slide topper/windwo awning was prone to billowing. I replaced it with a Girard slide topper and separate electric window awning. No problems since.

If you buy slide-toppers without the box, how often do you have problems with billowing, tearing, etc.? I've seen a lot of RV's that don't have the box. I know that one that we looked at had an 'anti-billowing' feature, but we wonder how good that is. We're also reading that they are operated by a spring. Do these hold up fairly well over time? We're trying to figure out what the differences are between the Carefree Kover II and Kover III are at this time. They sound the same to us. We haven't been able to look at any in person, just online and through the catalogs. The problem we're having right now is the parts dept. trying to tell us that our 23' Carefree Fiesta awning would cost us about $300-400 more than what the manufacturer quoted to us over the phone. We can't figure out where he'd be getting the extra cost, since the hardware is supposed to be included with this model.
We'll keep you updated!
And, thank you SO much for all your help, info, and input while we try to figure this all out! It really helps to have you all available to us , right at our 'fingertips'!!

LuAnn and Mike

Bob,

Neither is better re mechanical problems.  Both work great.  The one I mentioned looks better and it puts all the weight on the coach, not the slide out.  If I were buying a MH it would not be an issue which type was installed.  If I were ordering a coah I would get the kind I mentioned.  BTW, I have the style that you have.  I never would pay to change.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom