ClassB vs Truck Camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strikenmike

Greetings from Danville, IL

My wife and I intend to begin RVing in about two years.  We are not big "campers" so we plan to do more "touring", 6-7 trips per year of perhaps 2 week duration.

We started our quest by looking at Class B motorhomes by Roadtrek , Pleasureway, Gulfstream, etc.  These are very impressive units.  We really liked the efficiency of the new Sprinter-Based motorhomes with their good gas mileage.  We estimate that we can get into an end-of-year model for about $80K.

Problem #1...our Class B motorhome would we sitting in storage a lot.  In the meantime, I like to fish (haul boat), hunt, etc which requires a truck.  These factors plus the cost involved in purchasing a Class B rig, has lead us to seriously consider a Truck Camper (Lance or S &S).

The truck camper would provide the added bonus of having a good truck for my other hobbies.  It is more maneuverable, easier to store and less expensive to buy.

Problem #2...Everyone tells me that I need to buy a monster truck (3500HD with dual rear tires) in order to be comfortable hauling a TC down the highway.  If I do that, my costs will be about $70K  for the truck and camper w/options.  This would provide A Lot more truck than I need for fishing.

Now we are the horns of a dilemma! 

I realize that only Linda and I can make this decision, but I would truly appreciate it if you would share with us why you chose the Class B motorhome/van camper, and if you considered a TC.

Thanks for any input you may have.

My wife and I got a Sprinter conversion by Airstream.  We got it for several reasons.  I drive it every day; gets 22 mpg, tows 5000 pounds, gas everything we want.  We like the idea that if it is raining when we get somewhere we do not have to brave the elements to get to the living area.  It is easy to drive, hook up takes all of 5 minutes (including unrolling the awning).  It is not for everyone but it sure meets our needs.  Oh, it is also a great commuting vehicle.

Go look at some truck campers to see what you would be willing to live in for two weeks, but I think your friends are right: you need a 3500 class truck for most of the nice truck campers on the market today. They are heavy, and top heavy at that, so you need extra stabilizers (anti-swaybars) as well as plenty of weight carrying capacity. An F350 with the Camper Package is the sort of truck you need unless you choose a very minimal camper.

The Sprinter -based Class B's would be a better choice for you. Take a look at rigs like the Itasca Navion, especially the diesel. Nice modest size motorhome that will tow 3500 lbs besides and the diesel gives pretty good mileage.

I also seriously considered a truck camper vs. a Class B.  But when I started adding up the cost for all the equipment needed; I decided to go with a nice used van conversion.  I also liked the fact that when it is pouring down rain; I don't have to get out of the truck  to go into the camper.  My Sportsmobile is nice too; in the fact it doesn't LOOK like a camper; so I don't have to keep it in my backyard in storage.  Everybody on my block with an RV has to keep it underwraps; either in the sideyard or in the backyard. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom