Rexhall MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zorro623

Is anyone familiar with the Rexhall brand of RVs?  We're still trying to find our first RV and came across the following:

http://www.hwmotorhomes.com/database/inventory_item.asp?id=405349

It's a 1997 Rexhall Aerbus XL 2900.  It looks as though it would serve our needs and is in our price range (possibly slightly overpriced-but you folks know better!), but the dealer is quite a distance away from us (about 3 hrs).  So before we trek down to the Metro Detroit Area, we'd like to have an idea of what you folks thought of it.

Thanks for any input!

The floorplan is nearly identical to Thor Residency models of the same era (including my '94 except I have a 2-seat dinette between the couch and kitchen).  I wonder if they were a subsidiary of Thor back then (they're not listed on the Thor International site now).  The L-shaped sofa and bay windows are a great setup, and the primary reason I decided on a Residency.

That said, the unit is horribly overpriced.  www.NADAguides.com is your friend when evaluating prices.  According to a quick online quote I did (see attached photo), the low retail value is $18,560.  Even high retail is $22,365.  And unless there have been some major recent upgrades, you ought to be offering somewhere around or below retail.

I would not make the 3-hour drive just based on its price, or you'll be emotionally attached and more willing to overpay.  If you like that brand/model, then you can start limiting your online searches (eBay, rvtrader.com, rvtraderonline.com, and many others) to Rexhall Aerbus to narrow the field of possibilities.

Attachments

• rexhall.JPG
    rexhall.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 29
Rexhall has been an independent RV manufacturer for many years, though never a big name. They have a reputation as an innovator, e.g. they brought out the first full wall slides a couple years ahead of anybody else, came up with the side aisle floor plan, king size beds, etc. Their quality reputation is a bit unclear - they are a low volume manufacturer so problems tend to stand out more. Overall I would say they are average.

They now sell direct from the factory and there is no dealer network to hep you out. Most things, however, can be serviced anywhere. The appliances, engine and transmission, etc. are common components used in many Rvs and any dealer or shop can repair.

The retail value of that coach is no more than $22,000 as Scotty has illustrated, and that's only because of the extremely low mileage. Normally I'd say shoot for the low retail figure, but it does appear to be an exemplary coach. I'd call and see if they are willing to come down - tell them straight out that you aren't driving all that way to look if that's a firm price.

I have a 1996 Rexhall Aerbus 3500 XL that I am selling.  I have had it since March '08
and have been satisfied with it.  I like a lot of the features of this unit.  The facing couches
that convert into a large bed is very nice.  The king bed gives a lot of room.

The furnace is very quiet compared to my Holiday Rambler.  The shower/toilet room is
private and roomy.

Pardon, should have been 2007.  I wasn't trying to use the forum to sell, only attempting
to give perspective on Rexhall if requested.  It is a solid motor home.

I came across a Rexhall Rose Air Diesel.  I know nothing about Rexhall and am wondering if these newer models are discussed at all.  It is a 2007 and what I liked most about it is the awesome floorplan it has two full wall slideouts and seem to have really nice features but of course you can't buy based on appearance only.  One thing that struck me as odd is that it is listed as a 400 HP Cummins diesel but yet it is on a Workhorse Chassis and Allison Transmission.  Is this an odd combination???  Is it any good?  I don't know what the price is as of yet as it is listed at wholesale price and have asked for the price.  If any of you can give me insight on the Brand and then this strange engine and transmission combo...I would appreciate it..

Rexhall sells only direct from the factory.  The Workhorse diesel chassis they use is called the Workhorse UFO, which allows for either gas or diesel engine on the same chassis. Workhorse also makes an R series of diesel only chassis.

The Rose Air with the double full wall slide is a terrific floor plan. Rexhall pioneered full wall slides and is years ahead of other manufacturers in use of the technology.

Learn about Rexhall products HERE.

:)Purchased a new Rexhall 07 Rose Air in 3/10, great motor home, (sat on dealers lot for 3 years)  :mad:workhorse series 7 chassis sucks, have tried every thing known and stills drives like a worn out farm truck, all over the road. Any answers???? Have new tires, aliened, running 120 lbs air, weight balanced, This is our 2nd Rexhall, and 4th Motor Home and this thing drives like _____. Can not get an answer back from Work Horse. Need some help.

Welcome to the RV Forum, Doug1946.

Which Workhorse do you have? I don't recognize series 7 - it should be either a W-series (W16/W20/W22/W24) or P series.I'd guess a W22 or W24 on a Rose Air.

Typically the best 'fix" for this chassis is a panhard road, either the Davis Tru Trak bar (goes on front suspension) or Steer Safe track bar on the rear suspension. It takes the side-to-side slop out of the leaf springs.

See the article on Motorhome Handling in the forum Library.
http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/MH_Steering_Handling_%20Primer.pdf

It is Rexhall Rose Air, Cummings 400 diesiel pusher . Was told by dealer that steering was to tight, that it will get better with time,????? I need a simple fixs but for the money I want it to work, all ready have spend more than should for what I paid for Motor Home

Doug1946 said:
It is Rexhall Rose Air, Cummings 400 diesiel pusher . Was told by dealer that steering was to tight, that it will get better with time,????? I need a simple fixs but for the money I want it to work, all ready have spend more than should for what I paid for Motor Home

It will get better???? Wear and tear will make it worse. He REALLY meant "go away you will get used to it". Take it back and have a tech drive it, and not around the corner.
J

My brother is looking for a used coach, and has looked at a couple of Rexhalls lately. They are made in So Cal and there are quite a few around out there.  As Gary mentioned, they have been known as innovators since the early 90's.  Their current coaches are very different-looking.

Rexhall used all-steel cage construction and gel-coat siding, instead of Filon in the 90's, which can be a good news-bad news thing:  These features keep the coach better looking and more structurally solid than many comparable wood frame 15 year old coaches.  On the other hand, my brother has found that the appearance often makes the coaches appear to be in better condition than they really are when you start digging deeper. 

34footer said:
I was also puzzled with the series 7.
J

Doesn't Workhorse have a chassis that uses either a gas or diesel engine? It also had a diesel only chassis, not sure if it is still available. If you are near Lancaster, CA, the Rexhall factory is there and should be able to troubleshoot the problem.

Workhorse has the UFO chassis, which is either an 8.1L gas V8or a Cummins ISB diesel, and the R series, which uses a Cat C7. I'm not aware of any Workhorse that ever had the Cummins ISL, but he says he has one. And without knowing the chassis, I am clueless about what the problem might be. 

Maybe a call to the factory in Lancaster is the best solution. The other choice is a trip to Henderson's Line-up in Grants Pass, OR. They can work magic with any chassis handling problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom