Formaldehyde

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strikenmike

Greetings:

Are there certain brands of TC's that are known to be good or bad in regards to formaldehyde problems?

Thanks,
Mike

Any product that contains formaldehyde or anthing ending in hyde is bad.  Many of us use nothing at all.  However if you feel you must then Pure Power is OK.

Ron,

He's not asking about toilet chemicals. He's asking about formaldehyde in materials used in the manufacture of truck campers.

Tom said:
Ron,

He's not asking about toilet chemicals. He's asking about formaldehyde in materials used in the manufacture of truck campers.

Whoops, guess I miss interrpeted what the initials TC stood for.  In any case excessive Formaldehyde can be bad as FEMA has finally admitted. :(

Strikenmike said:
Greetings:

Are there certain brands of TC's that are known to be good or bad in regards to formaldehyde problems?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

I think you'll find formaldehyde is used in almost all RV's. I have been in many Lance TC's and it hasn't been really bad but it's still there. Resolution is frequent ventilation until it is gone. Very warm weather and an closed unit will create a problem.

Mike, if you go into an RV that has been closed up and your eyes start burning, chances are that's formaldehyde and you might want to leave.

ArdraF

Last summer when i was looking at new 5th wheels some had so much ( i don't think they had been ventilated) that i couldn't stay long enough to look them over.
i think this is a result on the construction adhesives that are being used now. the FEMA trailers were just an example, they are constructed on the same lines using the same materials. but were rushed to the end users so quickly that the glues hadn't cured and the fumes ventilated.

I suspect the many FEMA trailers were built with cheaper inferior materials that had more formaldehyde problems than normal.

Glen,

From what I've heard, not necessarily the gospel, the FEMA trailers were built using whatever was left over and inferior. I do know that all RV's are built with products that contain formaldyhyde. I have a summer job with an RV dealership and there are some rigs I cannot enter without ventilating for quite some time. Others I can enter immediately and do whatever is required of my job. Most of the time it's the trailers that are wreaking of formaldehyde where motor coaches have very little present. I do feel it at times. If someone buys a rig that causes watering of the eyes and irritation of the nose and throat, get out and ventilate!!! Over time the effect will subside but it takes longer in some rigs than others.

Jim, do you have any first hand knowledge of truck campers.  I assume that the construction process is very similar, and that similar materials are used.  I have been considering the purchase of either a Lance or S&S (made in Montana) truck camper.  The ones we have inspected at the dealerships seemed fine, but come to think of it, the doors were open when we approached the unit.

Thanks again,
Mike

Strikenmike said:
Jim, do you have any first hand knowledge of truck campers.  I assume that the construction process is very similar, and that similar materials are used.  I have been considering the purchase of either a Lance or S&S (made in Montana) truck camper.  The ones we have inspected at the dealerships seemed fine, but come to think of it, the doors were open when we approached the unit.

Thanks again,
Mike

Mike,

The dealership where I have a summer job did carry Lance. I think it's about the best out there but it does have formaldehyde. Usually it isn't as bad as other rigs but, on hot summer days, the fumes can build up. Once you buy a rig you should try to ventilate it as much as possible for a couple of weeks, or more if you can. The effects dissipate over time.

In case you're wondering, the reason they dropped Lance is due to price increases. The market niche is rather small and folks just don't want to spend the dollars for a Lance. We did sell a lot of them before the last increase.

Back
Top Bottom