EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Rv Surround Sound  (Read 3738 times)

slickcdb

• ---
Rv Surround Sound
« on: February 27, 2008, 07:59:25 PM »
I wasn't lucky enough to buy a trailer with surround allready in it.  I dont really want a 5 speaker setup because, well that just a lot of stuff to try and hide in a travel trailer.  I really like the Bose 321 system but i dont want to pay 2grand on it either.  what are some of you all using?  preferably a 3 speaker setup but i'm open to any ideas.  I thought about a 5 speaker setup and just not using the back speakers.  and suggestions?

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
Re: Rv Surround Sound
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »
You didn't say if you wanted a complete tuner/amplifier/speaker system, or just an amplifier/speaker system. Either way, almost anything you will find now will be a "5.1" (2-fronts, 2-rears, 1 center, and 1 sub). It's perfectly o.k. to not use the rear speakers if that's your choice, but then it wouldn't be surround, would it?   ;) I picked up a Durabrand 5.1 at WalMart a couple years ago for $47 (no, that's not a mistake), that I'll put up against that Bose system anytime. Amp and speakers only; fed by the TV, DVD, and XM Radio. Shop around - you'll find something you'll probably like better than the Bose for a lot less $$$'s - WalMart, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.
How small is your trailer that you can't stick up some tiny satellite speakers?
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 09:26:12 PM »
I really like the Bose 321 system but i dont want to pay 2grand on it either.

Then I've got some good news - The Bose 3-2-1 is "only" $999 and can sometimes be found for as little as $900.

We have a Sony system that works well - there are several price ranges of Sony systems. Panasonic too. Should be able to get a real nice one for $300-$500. Frankly, though, some of the $79-$149 systems in the electronics stores (e.g. Best Buy, Circuit City) are quite good - decent quality sound is relatively inexpensive these days.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
I just finished an installation of a Philips 5.1 surround dvd/tuner/6-speaker combo that I got through the awards program for using my VISA card so I don't know what it would cost retail.  I'm guessing at about $100 or less.  In the confines of the coach it sounds awesome.  I can't wait to do the LCD/TV conversion some day.   

All of the speaker wires are hidden behind the moldings at the top of the side walls along with the original coach wiring.  I made the sub woofer easily pluggable and normally stow it under the bed when not in use.   lou
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 11:32:12 AM »
There are some wireless rear speaker systems available too. But I tend to agree that the rear speakers don't add much in a long, narrow RV where the speaker is rarely centered anyway.  After 3-4 months of experimenting with balancing front/rear and side/side, we disabled the rear speakers on our system. It was OK for music but we were never happy with the tv sound performance thru the rear speakers.

We recently upgrade tvs and find that the simulated surround sound offered by both Sony and Samsung works quite well using the tvs own front speakers, so now we don't even use the home theater system with the tvs.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:06:57 PM »
Gary, I agree, the best performance is with music.  Even then, you have to have it balanced correctly and occupy the only seat in the coach that enjoys that perspective.

However, when used in conjunction with the TV and tuned to a NASCAR race, when those cars make that first turn over the drivers side visor, race down the front stretch over the couch along the slide-out, dive into turn three across the dinette, power through the refrigerator in turn four and race down the back stretch, the sound is eerily realistic.

The above is said tongue in cheek of course. :P :P  The cars never come close to the refrigerator...... ;D ;D

lou

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 01:41:39 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D

Great writing!  ;D
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »
The cars never come close to the refrigerator......
True Lou. Only you do! ;D  BTW, do you leave the bathroom door open for the pit stops?
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 07:36:20 PM »
Karl, as the Geico gecko would say, the prior post was a pure dramatization, of course.. :D ;D :D ;D

However, should we ever find ourselves in the same campground, I can assure you that the refridgerator will be stocked with cheap vodka, premium tonic water, quality single malt scotch and bottled water (not sure what the water is for).  The door to the "pit stop" will  be propped open with all sorts of Petty Enterprises and DEI memorabilia....

I look forward to meeting you some day,  lou

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 07:44:41 PM »
I look forward to meeting you some day,
Likewise, Lou! Heck, I may even have some single malt of my own to add to the coffers. Oh; water is for washing, topping off batteries, and the occasional ice cube. :D

Hosted by Over The Network