97 Southwind 35s or 99 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3512?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with Scotty - it's too early in your search to get target fixation. Keep looking around - there are literally hundreds  good RVs available in the size and price range you are considering. And the price difference in the years before 2002 will be small, so you are better off with a newer rig for a modest increase in price.

If it were not for the chassis difference, I'd pick the Southwind over the GB in a heartbeat. Southwind makes a very nice rig (so does its corporate sister, Pace Arrow), nicer than the Georgie Boy Pursuit (more like the GB Cruisemaster series).  I'm not anti-Chevy, but if I were you, I would ignore the Chevy chassis RVs prior to the 2001 model year when the Workhorse improvements began to come online.

You are correct about the Chevy's narrow track  - one of the first improvements that Workhorse made was to widen the track substantially. They also designed new airbags for the IFS, replaced the notoriously bad steering bell crank with a new design, increased the axle load capacity and made 19.5" wheels standard. I believe you will find the 97 Southwind has 16" wheels

You are also right that more Ford dealers will service a motorhome chassis than will Chevy dealers. And yes, the 99 Ford V10 (first year) was not the best - subsequent years were more powerful and more economical.

All in all, I would suggest skipping both of these and increasing the budget a bit and shopping for a 2000-2001 Ford chassis motorhome and concentrate on Southwind, Pace Arrow, Bounder, Winnebago/Itasca, and Dolphin. Also watch for the Workhorse W20/W22 chassis with the 8.L V8 and Allison transmission, which came out in late 2000 and revolutionized the gas chassis motorhome. That chassis is head and shoulders above the Ford  of the same years - Ford did not catch up again until around 2005. Expect to pay about $1000 more for a Workhorse W series chassis. They are rare in 2000 models and only slightly more available in 2001, but there are a few around.

Gary- Thanks. All good info. I'm still going to drive both of these units just for comparison sake. I'm one of the guys that needs the seat-of-the-pants impression. We are also going to drive a 2002 27' Winnebago Sighseer (Workhorse) and a 2005 30' Damon Daybreak (Ford)

If you don't mind me plugging for more info... what is so bad about that earlier Chevy chassis, besides the items you've already stated? Structural?

bob-n said:
Gary- Thanks. All good info. I'm still going to drive both of these units just for comparison sake. I'm one of the guys that needs the seat-of-the-pants impression. We are also going to drive a 2002 27' Winnebago Sighseer (Workhorse) and a 2005 30' Damon Daybreak (Ford)

If you don't mind me plugging for more info... what is so bad about that earlier Chevy chassis, besides the items you've already stated? Structural?

We had an 83' Pace Arrow with a Chev P-30 chassis and although we liked the Pace and drove it 113,00 miles it had its problems. The narrow track, short wheelbase and heavily loaded chassis made it a bear to handle. I spent a lot of money adding all the band aids to improve handling but if the wind got over 15-20mph Sue refused to drive. Also the exhaust manifolds were always warping from the heat and the useful load was a few hundred pounds.

Thanks Jeff. I know from working at the Chevy dealer years ago the 454 in the P chassis liked to digest exhaust manifolds. We used to stock them things... and me being a skinny boy got stuck installing them constantly.

bob-n said:
I think I should buy in Texas, then make a vacation out of getting back to WI. I'm way overdue.

When I was shopping, TX was like hitting the motherload when it came to used RV's!  And that was just what I was seeing listed online.  PPL Motorhomes (a large consignment dealer) was a favorite site of mine to check, their inventory was refreshed so often.  I was actually figuring out how to get there from IL, if the right rig appeared on their lot.  Didn't end up happening that way, but it would be a nice excuse for a vacation!  8)  Especially considering this endless winter we are having in the Midwest.

what is so bad about that earlier Chevy chassis, besides the items you've already stated? Structural?

Jeff gave you some of it and you know about the 454 problems. . Another weakness is that the chassis structurally was not adequate for larger motorhomes, e.g. that 35 foot Southwind. Fleetwood added the tag axle to make up for the lack of weigh capacity, but it is still less than ideal in terms of structural strength, shock absorbing, body roll control, etc.  Other weaknesses include a short wheel base (rule of thumb is that the wheelbase should be 50% or more of the overall length), small tires and brakes, mediocre quality components in the front end and in the dashboard a/c system.

It was fairly typical for its time, but it had been outpaced by the RV industry's need for a platform that would support the larger coaches their customers demanded. Chevrolet did not invest money to fix the known quality problems, let alone increasing the size & capacity for larger RVs. Chevy knew it, and finally decided to sell out rather than invest what it took to make it right.  Or even adequate.  Those were not happy years for the Chevy RV chassis.

Gentlemen, this thread should be kept and marked for the archives.

Much information. I really appreciate the breakdown of the model years for Ford/Chevy.

Ok. I did it. Start at 9 am.

First I drove the 99 Georgie Boy / Ford Chassis. I rode and drove like @$%^. Tons of rattles, shakes, etc. The most disturbing was the steering column seemed to go side to side over bumps. Didn't like it. Power was ok but overall a "no". Some little issues here and there also like bad speedo, dead batteries, etc.

Next was the trip down to Camping world. Drove the 97 Southwind. It seemed a little short on power, but rode like a Cadillac. Very smooth and stable (I didn't expect that). Had a steering "girdle" of some sorts (I forgot the name) on the control arms. Banks power pack, air bag assist. VERY well maintained (records still with it) and I got to talk to the original owner. Still something wasn't sitting 100% for me.. probably the age.

Then drove a 02 Winnebago 27' sightseer on Workhorse and Chevy 8.1 power. That thing felt like a sports car compared to the Southwind, but seemed to sway more, probably due to the higher chassis / seating position. Also didn't have the amenities that we were really looking for.

Looked at a 05 Damon next. Looked to have some water damage inside (minor) but that was a deal killer right there.

Went back and had them put the 97 Southwind up on the chassis rack and went over it personally with a fine tooth comb. The rig was perfect. They got very close to the price I was willing to pay, but I didn't sign on it. 19.5 rubber. 9 new tires, 20K GVW and 4,500 remaining chassis load capacity. Very clean underneath. This was a museum quality coach. Yes, it was that nice.

They *JUST* took in a 2001.5 Fleetwood Bounder 36S with 59K miles (more miles than I like). Wasn't cleaned or anything yet, Ford power. Drove that one and it was quite good. Stable. Power was ok, wish it had the 8.1 power though. Had some minor issues, etc. and they made me an offer that was very low on it.

I was now in a pickle. I'm not a fan of the 01 Bounder front end, but other things I really liked on it. The southwind was a VERY nice coach, but the age bothered me. Well, a couple of ladies were also looking at the Southwind. They put a deposit on it while I was hemming and hawing, so they made my decision very easy.

I bought the 2001.5 Bounder. End at 7:30 pm (2.5 hours after close) Quite a long day for the family (my poor 5 year old daughter is a trooper)

Thanks all for the advice. I agree with AZRickD. Some of this info would make a great sticky or FAQ.

Congratulations on the Bounder.  I am confident you will enjoy it more than eany of the other coaches you mentioned.  Happy travels.

I think it should fit us fine. Things on it we didn't really need (like washer / dryer) are there, but buying used you get what you get.

It really was an exhausting day

Alright, now let's get down to business!  ;D  When do you take delivery?  Gotta see some pics too.  Any big plans for this upcoming camping "year" (for those of us who don't get the nice weather year 'round).  Congrats!

We're probably not going to take delivery for a couple weeks at least. There is a little paint work being done on the left rear doors due to light damage (very minor) and it still needs the go through and full interior and exterior detailing. The windshield is also getting replaced due to a couple little stone chips. I imagine all that jazz is going to take more than a week.

We spent some time today trying to decide where to go first. I'd like to keep very close to home first, just for a quick weekend jaunt to get used to everything. There is a lot to learn on this big jump from the popper to an A, and I'd rather be close to home in case I really mess something up, flying without a net and all. ;D

Bob, your enthusiasm reminds me of myself about four years ago.

I purchased a used Bounder then (a '97) with a specific purpose in mind.  Note my logon ID.  I was on a quest.

My first trip was a 1700 mile family reunion trip.  After implementing the many safety suggestions, convienence improvements, and maintenance procedures that I learned from all these fine and friendly folks here on the forum, my second trip was a flawless and fantastic trip of 14,000 miles to Alaska.

Keep an eye and ear on the forum and you will have many years of enjoyment from your NEW Bounder.
Welcome aboard, lou

I noticed the login name a while back but didn't want to pry, but I figured I was wearing some well worn shoes  ;D

Second trip will either be from our home in WI to my Dad's place in Lake of the Ozarks, or maybe him and I will travel to SC to see my uncle whose health is slowly sliding.

I plan on hanging out here permanently. There is some great info here. I've spent just shy of 8 hours on here since I registered a few days ago. I'm sure some fairly interesting stories will come from the first couple trips.

Thanks again for the advice

Bob

I've been traveling quite a bit for work the last couple weeks, so I figured I'd drop in for a quick update.

I went back to see the Bounder last Friday. They have been working on it, doing a little paint repair, etc. that was on "the list". It was now much brighter outside and saw quite a few things that bothered me, such as lots of scrapes, etc all over the interior, all corners of the slide seal had quite a bit of light coming through, and a horrible smell inside that wasn't there before (like the tanks were overfull) just to mention a few of the biggies. There were a lot more, but those were the major ones.

I talked with my wife and we pulled back out of the deal. Come to find out neither of us was excited about getting this coach. After quite a long discussion Friday night, we agreed the only one we both really liked was the 97 southwind. Just so happens that the deal on that coach fell apart. We took the chassis items into consideration, and figured that if it isn't right, it will make us appreciate the next coach that much more.

We went back on Saturday and bought it. I take delivery March 15. I did re-drive it (without air in the bags for worst case scenario) and it seemed fine, even over very rough roads and a pretty good wind. The big decision maker for us was the appearance of this coach.... it truly looks like the previous owners loved it. They were extremely meticulous, whereas the Bounder lookd tired and beat (hope that comes across ok) In talking with the previous owners of the 97 Southwind again it gave us the confidence we needed in this unit.

Good decision or not, time will be the judge. Until then we got the coach we both really like.

Bob

bob-n said:
Good decision or not, time will be the judge. Until then we got the coach we both really like.

Bob,

The criteria you just listed makes the most sense of any to me.  Congrats...Sounds like it was meant to be....

Betty

Isn't it funny how things change over short periods of time?  ;)  Sounds like what happened when we bought our stick house.  Looked at it, loved it, couldn't afford it, and the seller accepted another offer later that day.  Meanwhile we made another offer on a house we liked but weren't crazy about, but alas we were beat out on that one too at the last minute.  Come to find out the deal fell through on the first house and it was available again + we had found some extra money, and *voila* we ended up with the house we wanted and have been happy ever since.  ;)  Here's hoping the same is true with you and your soon-to-be-new-to-you Southwind!

We had a similar thing with our house also. It was the second one we looked at when we started shopping and we liked it, but hated the view out the back in the winter(on a hill, large woded lot overlooking a subdivision)

We found ourselves comparing all other houses to this one (we looked at nearly 100 houses!!), so we got it figuring the view was something that we could live with. The trees filled in for the summer and it was the right decision.

hope I'm right 2x....

Congratulations Bob,  I think you made the right choice.

It always helps when the spouse is in agreement on something this big.

Buyers remorse can be a terrible thing.  Best of luck to you.

lou

Back
Top Bottom