Looking for RV home plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cricketdaddy

I have recently seen some ads for MH communities which have small houses built with attached MH garages. These garages have full hookups and can easily be used as a guest house for visitors. This seems like an ideal retirement home for my wife and me. Anybody know of any outfit selling plans for do-it-yourself building?

You can get some ideas HERE and maybe contact the construction company for details. And Uncle Howard's RV Buildings appears to be a source for plans.

If what you want is a home with an attached RV port (garage), that is pretty straight forward and any local builder should be able to fabricate it to your dimensions. Just make sure you make the port big enough - lack of room around the RV is the most common mistake. But if you want a building designed to use the RV itself as part of the living quarters, e.g. bedroom and kitchen, then that is more specialized and requires some architectural experience to do well.

Terry and I  included  an RV garage when we built  our regular stick home.  We placed it beside the 2 car garage and opened up part of the inside garage wall into the RV port.  We put in  full hookups and added windows that allow you to look outside while inside the motorhome.  We use the motorhome parked inside as guest quarters.  As Gary says any home can have the addition but when you design it allow for height of  garage door and room to walk around inside with the slides out.  We used many ideas presented to us by Jerry Fitzgerald as his home in Las Vegas also has and RV garage.  Because our garage was so high and wide it required a bit of extra engineering and steel beams across the front. We love it.

Betty

PS we made our own floor plan,as opposed to a company that does them.

Gary, thanks for the starting points. Seems like some pretty steep prices for plans but Betty's got the right idea, I believe. I'm thinking of having somebody draft plans for the motorhome garage alone, with full hookups, and then buy one of those log cabin kits that are popular and reasonably priced.

This is not an immediate project but I'm planning for the next few years. The wife and I are beginning the task of serious downsizing of our stash of stuff. We want a home base near the family but a clean shot at the great American highways.

More discussion and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Why not a stick house with a parking place adjacent with hookups for the motorhome? A lot more economical than building a stick house AND an RV garage. And you don't have to worry about buying a bigger RV that doesn't fit in the garage !!

Wendy
San Onofre SB

Wendy,

That is an extremely sensible suggestion and if we stay in Southern California that's precisely what we'll do. I didn't mention in the original note that there is some thought being given to our moving up to San Andreas in the Northern California foothills and they get some weather up there which would make the garage a better option.

I see you're at San Onofre SB. Enjoy this beautiful weather we're having.

Thanks for the option!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom