EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Re: Importing an RV into the UK  (Read 70074 times)

AJHales

• ---
  • Little Haven-More than a destination
Re: Importing an RV into the UK
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:02:31 PM »
I have found this forum to be very inspiring and full of useful information. Despite all the information on importing an RV into the UK, I do not feel I have the expertise or the time to do it on my own. There are several companies offering to help me and I wonder if anyone has any experience most notably with Tim Rodway of RV Imports.
Thanks,
Andy
Andy
If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin.
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:28:08 PM »
What does RV Imports offer to do that you couldn't do on your own? Would that be the part about visiting the U.S., finding and buying the RV, then wandering around the U.S. for long enough to avoid VAT at the UK end?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 12:30:25 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Hopefully in a few years time I will be able to put into practice all of the wonderful adventures I have read about and after a suitably long long exploation of North America I can return with a magnificent RV without paying Duty or VAT! BUT here & now I must still put the hours in at work which leaves me little time which i would rather not spend on the bureacracy of UK  importing. I guess I am scared it will take up time I do not have & with my lack of experience I will  get it wrong leaving me with a vehicle in UK docks that is illegal on UK roads.
Andy
Andy
If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin.
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »
Understood Andy. Just be sure that work doesn't override your life and you run out of time to live your dream. It took many of us a long time to realize this could happen and some of us took action early.

I recall a few years ago running into an old boss of mine, an aggressive, overpowering character in his working life. I commented that he was not the guy I remember working with and that he was now so different and relaxed. His reply was "One day I realized that what was really important was the percentage of my life that's remaining. That's the day I retired and bought a boat."

Trust you received my email and hope you were wearing &/or eating a leek on March 1.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 07:29:34 PM by Tom »

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:07:25 AM »
I hear you load and clear Tom.javascript:void(0); Life is there to be enjoyed and I don't want to that put off until tomorrow.javascript:void(0);
Didn't get a chance to eat a leek on St Davids Day (1.3.08), but did enjoy some lava bread wrapped in mature smoked bacon.
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »
Andy

I'm researching some worrying info at the moment which, if correct, will put a stop to ALL RVs being imported into the UK from 2012.

You may have to plan that trip pretty soon.  :o

I will let you know when I know more.

Paul

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 08:30:45 AM »
Thanks Paul I wasn't aware of that.
javascript:void(0);
 The original plan was to buy a "nice" RV circa 2011 and start taking longer holidays touring around europe before going over to the USA in 2013/14 to buy our "dream" RVjavascript:void(0); and discover North America for over 12 months so allowing us to bring the RV back with us and not pay Duty & VAT. However, as Tom stated earlier, life is too short and there are more important things than work. The "new" plan is to buy now and tour North America in 2011. As I am working full time I don't want to "waste" my valuable free time sorting out Duty, VAT & road licensing an RV Import, hence the option of using RV Imports.
   Tim (from RV Imports) organizes trips over to the states, helps you chose your RV, imports it, licenses it over here and does the electrics (plugs , headlights etc). This would obviously mean I can spend more time with the family (and the RV when it arrives) and less time organizing the import. I can only take so much time off and this looked like the best solution, but if anyone else has any suggestions I would greatly appreciated it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 08:32:49 AM by AJHales »
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »

Andy

forgive my "straight to the point" reply BUT.....

why buy now if you arent going to do the tour until 2011? - and what use is there in speaking with rv imports until then (if at all) ?

if you are wanting a few holidays between now and 2011 then it will be cheaper to rent as you wont have the depreciation to worry about (you get to see if you like it and/or the USA too before you buy).

then, as long as you are back in the UK by april 2012, you could visit the US as planned in 2011, buy your RV and do a 12 month tour - which will qualify for VAT and Duty Free (if perk is still around then of course).

when 2011/2012 comes around you wont be working and will have the time to sort out the import etc (it really isnt that bad).

Paul

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 10:41:03 AM »
I'm also curious how much RV Imports charges for this service. Maybe I just found a new source of retirement income.

forestboy

• ---
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
Hi Guy
Tim Rodway lives about 3 miles from me and I know him quite well.
He is a decent bloke who does this part time to supplement his income.
I've not heard anyone say anything bad about him in fact quite the oppossite most people who deal with him sing his praises.
He offered to import a new Monaco Cayman for me for the problem was I could buy the Monaco 10k cheaper than he could because he's stuck with 1 supplier where as I could shop around and play 1 against the other.
He wanted 5k for his trouble on top off shipping costs and about 1.5k for UK conversions.
There is no reason you can't do this yourself if you do your homework.
It appears quite daunting at first but once you get into it it's not that terrifying and once it's in the UK there are plenty off people to do the conversions.
Cheers
Rory & Jan
2004 Damon in UK
Yamaha FJR1300
Kawasaki 650 Versys
2005 National Dolphin 5355 USA
2007 Saturn VUE toad

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »
Unemotionally Paul you are right. Rent now, save me money and buy in 2011 when I am going to get full use out of the RV. :(
BUT emotionally I want to start the dream NOW  ;D or at least sooner than 2011.
I want to join the RV Family. Become part of the RV lifestyle if only for long weekends and the odd week here and there. I know I'm being impatient and that will cost me money in depreciation etc, but can you see my point of view? :-\
Tom, the ball park figures I've been told to work to, but not written in stone are for 50,000 sterling look for a $70,000 RV. Price to include shipping,Duty,VAT, MOT & Tax (probably only 6 months) and full UK electric conversion (240v and headlamps). I think this isn't bad value for money, but then again it would probably take me ten times longer to do, plus I get peace of mind.
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 11:43:13 AM »
Thanks Rory for the feedback on Tim  :) as I had found him most helpful.
Andy
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »
Andy,

Just to be sure I interpret the numbers correctly, you pay 50,000 quid ($100,000) for which you get a $70,000 RV. Everything you listed is included in the 50,000 quid. Given the shipping cost, duty and VAT, that doesn't sound like a bad deal. You end up with a "legal", licensed RV ready to go in the UK and, like you said, you don't need to take a year off work.

BTW the way the $US is going, you might get it for less (or get more RV For your money) if you wait a short while.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:57:08 AM by Tom »

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 01:45:58 PM »
So the story so far... if I cann't/wont wait until 2011 then with my limited amount of free time getting the help of Tim from RV Imports seems like a good idea. Now Tim will help advise me on which RV to buy, but it would be useful if people could recommend dealers to visit when we go out to Florida in April. 8)
Rory I think Tim is using more than one dealer now,but I would still like to get a feel for what is on offer and at what price at a few places.
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 01:51:04 PM »
So you still visit the U.S., make the choice of RV, and make the actual purchase? Or does Tim actually buy it for you?

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 02:19:01 PM »

Andy

I guess I have a distrust of dealers and dont like giving my money away if I can help it.

From what Rory stated, this Tim will likely charge you 5,000 for helping plus 1,500 for the conversion.  :o :o :o

Why not give us an idea what you want :-

petrol or diesel (probably petrol for the funds you have)
length (any restrictions on parking at home etc)
slides (probably as many as possible)
to sleep (how many must the RV sleep and whether adults, kids etc)
colour (white with graphics easiest)

TBH Andy, if you take a look at a few dealer websites and knock 25% off, you can be looking at an RV displayed at c$90,000 on the lot.

You can get a brand new 2008 gas RV for that much ($90k - 25%).

That's $67,500 to buy plus $1,000 to have someone drive to docks plus $4,000 shipping and $20,000 (10,500 approx) for UK taxes - thats $92,500.

You started with $98,000 (70,000), so take off the $92,500 and you have $7,500 for conversion - thats 3,700 !!

Your conversion will set you back a maximum of 2,000 inc new TVs.

If you want someone to complete the 10 minutes worth of paperwork, collect the RV from Southampton and deliver it for conversion - you should be paying A LOT less than Tims 5k.

1,000 should be more than enough for anyone - in fact, give me the nod when you're ready.  ;D

Paul

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »
A grey area Tom. Tim organizes trips over to the States when he has enough interest (I think he is coming over tomorrow with 2 couples). It's a 3 day trip and he organizes flight, accommodation and which dealers to see. But he is also happy to let you to make your own arrangements. I'm still finding out the best way to do it and I'm not 100% sure ??? if what I have said is right, but it is to the best of my knowledge. :)
When we plan to go Tim will not be going, but he will advise us where to go and will get the vehicle checked out before we buy (don't know how, haven't asked yet).
I'll keep everyone informed as to the exact details when I know more.
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 02:40:54 PM »
Paul I might well take you up on that offer ;D
As I understand it:- 50k gets you (via Tim) a fully modified,MOT & taxed uk road legal $70k imported RV.
If I'm luck and I talk to my bank manager nicely $70k will cost me 37,995 (http://www.currenciesdirect.com/uk/#
Currencies Direct - Foreign Exchange Broker's) lets call it 38k.
Add Duty and Vat.
38 + 10% = 41.8
41.8 + 17.5% = 49.115.
That doesn't leave a lot for shipping and uk conversion? :-\
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 02:48:06 PM »
As for the interesting stuff ;D
We are looking for an A class about 30 feet long (preferably smaller not larger). Must have slide outs. Plenty of light in the rear island double bedroom (or she will kill me). Leveling jacks, air con etc etc and at the price we are looking at probably gas which we will convert to LPG.
Let me pause for a while with a silly grin on my face as I picture it ;D

Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

forestboy

• ---
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 03:29:25 PM »
Andy
I was in Florida in January
Flight 320 return
Car Hire 100 week
Motel 150 week
Fuel 40 week
Compare that to the savings I made.
I used it as a holiday and a chance to look at RVs I did a lot of miles and visited  large and small dealers and a couple of private sales I arranged from the UK.
I bought a RV which was advertised at $125000 for $70000 (35k) it is petrol 2006 4000 miles and mint, it would cost 100k plus in the UK. There has never been a better time to buy an RV especially with the exchange rate at the moment. My advise would be go on your own look at Tim's choices by all means but I guarentee you'll do a better deal and the savings are massive. Use the NADA guide and buy at the bottom price. One word of warning those guys now how to deal and you must be hard and be prepared to walk out no matter how much you like a vehicle. They will come after you and ithey don't there are thousands for sale.
Also speak to the guys on this forum when you're there they'll give you good advise.
Good Luck
Cheers
Rory & Jan
2004 Damon in UK
Yamaha FJR1300
Kawasaki 650 Versys
2007 Saturn VUE toad

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 03:53:23 PM »
Good advice Ror.

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »
Thanks Rory,
Any notes on your trip would be greatly recieved (where to go, who to see etc.)
I know the exchange rates etc mean now is a great time to buy, but I won't be rushed (or bullied) into buying. I will definatly be taking my laptop with me & you will probably be sick of me by the time I do buy ::)
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 05:38:48 PM »
For 5k  i will arrange your flights, pick you up from the airport,take you around several dealers you could even stay with me in my new 5th wheel to get you in the RV mood then arrange the shipping and UK conversion.Wow money for old rope.Honestly do your homework and do it yourself  its very easy if i could do it anyone can
Ian
Ian and Doreen
Dodge 3500 Dually   Cedar Creek 5th Wheel

Cornwall UK   when not touring USA

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 05:42:49 PM »
For 5k  i will arrange your flights, pick you up from the airport,take you around several dealers ..

Hey Ian, wait in line  ;D

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 02:24:22 AM »

Hi Andy

I wouldnt use a bank for money transfer - try www.onlinefx.co.uk

Their rate today is approx 1.9763 which will give you just over $70,000 for 35,450 plus 30 transfer fee.

See - you've just managed to save 2,500 just by posting on a forum.

Stick with it and you'll see everything else can fall into place just as easily.

Good Luck

Paul

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 01:53:58 PM »
Thanks everybody :)

2,500 saved and firends made. Life really is sweet ;D

Just found out that the time share we had arranged to stay at has gone pear shaped, so unless another slot turns up soon we will be delaying our florida trip. :(

Tanya (my better half) was sold on the idea of using our timeshare so I wont even contemplate asking her if we can stay anywhere else (Hotels etc.)

All good things come to those who wait ::)

I'll keep everyone up dated. Thanks again.

Andy
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Nathan

• ---
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »
Hi Andy

I'm a bit late jumping in, but here's my pennyworth.   We're on our fifth RV in the States (currently a 2008 Newmay Kountry Star).   When negotiating, the advice we were given was start by looking for a one third discount, and do not settle for less than 28% - and that worked with all of them.   Once the salesman is hooked casually mention a few extras - they often have more leeway with those than with straight cash.   If you're buying in Florida, Lazy Days come to mind, being the biggest on that coast.   Not our choice (we prefer the West Coast) but we did buy a 5th wheel for a Brit friend from them, got a very good deal on price, then asked them to transport it to Jacksonville for the ferry to Southampton, which they did free of charge.   Then when he had problems with the awning in North Wales, they shipped a new one to him without any hassle at all.

Best advice I've read in all the postings, is to come on over, look around all the RV dealers, enjoy the experience and have fun - a week in a motel (if you can't get the time share you mejntioned), a week's car rental, 400 each for the return flight, 1250 for the lot and you'll have a ball - and save a ton of money too.

Terry (enjoying the sun in Arizona)

forestboy

• ---
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »

Hi Andy

A reference for you I've just booked flights for next week with return flights in June 310 each that includes 20 off for regular fliers through Expedia.com.
Booked a nice hotel 10 miles outside Tampa for a few days while we sort out the RV $110 (55)ish for 2 nights for 2 including breakfast.
Cheers
Rory & Jan
2004 Damon in UK
Yamaha FJR1300
Kawasaki 650 Versys
2007 Saturn VUE toad

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 08:42:06 AM »
Thanks for your advice Terry.
I/we intend on having fun buying the RV and not getting too stressed about it. We have decided only to buy if it feels right and to enjoy having a holiday in Florida. 8)

you said:-
" When negotiating, the advice we were given was start by looking for a one third discount, and do not settle for less than 28% - and that worked with all of them. "
Is that for a new RV or does that apply to second hand RV's as well?

Rory,
Thanks for the advice on flights, but I had already booked them via travelocity which is why we are staying an extra day (big savings$$$$),
If you say you have flexible travel options they produce a grid which shows the different prices for different days.

We are leaving on March 30th so any more advice greatly accepted.

Can't wait 8)

Andy
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 10:48:32 AM »
We are leaving on March 30th so any more advice greatly accepted.

Just be sure to bring sweaters, overcoats and snow boots. Florida gets pretty cold that time of year.

Nah, just kidding. After (not so) sunny South Wales, you'll think you're on the Med  ;D

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 07:04:40 AM »
Thanks Tom,
Looking forward to some nice weather in florida, but you can't beat Cardiff on a winning Grand Slam weekend!! ;D
The last time we won the Grand Slam  was just before the last time we went to Florida. I wonder if the welsh rugby union(WRU) would pay me to go each year!! 8)
Now if I could find a nice A Class about 30 feet or less for under $75K life would be complete. ;)
Andy
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 12:03:54 PM »
... you can't beat Cardiff on a winning Grand Slam weekend!!

That's for sure Andy. But I hope you're not spoiling my enjoyment of recorded rugby when we get home from vacation  ??? I believe I've missed two weekends of 6-nations games and can't wait to see them later this week. They hadn't yet won the Triple Crown when we left home, and now you're talking Grand Slam  :o  I'm surprised my oldest son hasn't called me, but he knows that, even when we're home, I see the games delayed.

BTW I understand that Tiger Bay (aka Butetown) has changed significantly since the days when Shirley Bassey grew up there. Used to be a very bad area, and I understand they've renamed it Cardiff Bay to help with the new upscale image.

Nathan

• ---
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 01:08:48 PM »
Andy

That's for a new MH, but up to two tears old you should still be able to get around gthe same.  Have a safe flight, an enjoyable time in Florida (as Tom said, take your woolies!!!), and ship your new MH back home safely!   

Terry (now at Indio Outdoor Resorts Motor Coach Country Club - wonderful) - ours is the first MH on the right side, facing the waterfront) ;D

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
Tom,

Sorry if I spoilt your enjoyment of the match(s). In my defense I did leave it until 2 days after the last match before posting  :-\

I just couldn't keep quiet any longer ;D ;D

Nathan, couldn't quite work out your message
Andy

That's for a new MH, but up to two tears old you should still be able to get around gthe same. 

Looking forward to Florida no matter what the weather. Fingers crossed both the weather and the dealers will be kind to me!! :)

Is there anyone from the forum in or around Orlando/Tampa the week we are there (30.03.08) who could give me a few pointers?

Andy 8)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:11:36 PM by AJHales »
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 11:49:53 AM »
No problem Andy, and I could tell you were overflowing with joy. Can't wait to get home tomorrow and see the games. I just hope the DVR worked and actually recorded them. I consciously haven't looked at the scores online.

I think Terry (Nathan) was saying that $75K is a bit low for a new motorhome, but you should be able to get a 2-year old one for that price.

The clock is ticking for you since you're going to be in Tampa March 30. Unfortunately, I'm about as far from Florida as you currently are so, regrettably, I can't be there.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:53:21 AM by Tom »

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 03:55:48 AM »
Tom, Sorry you wont be able to "pop over" to see me in Tampa, but it's the thought that counts!! ;D

I like the idea of buying second hand RV as ,hopefully, all the bugs will have been sorted out by the previous owner.

I was also thinking of car prices in the UK where there is a huge hunk of depreciation in the first year or two. Is this the same for motorhomes in the US?
Andy
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 09:40:48 AM »
Andy,

The biggest drop in depreciation on a new motorhome or car happens as you drive off the dealership.

In case we haven't previously told you, check out used car and RV prices at NADA price guides. When looking at RV prices, don't add any options and use the lower $ number.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:45:43 AM by Tom »

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 05:56:12 PM »
Hi Andy
we will be in Lazydays Rallypark just chilling out from the 31st for the week,you are welcome to to come around for a coffee,if you want a cuppa tea bring your own T bags,(best bring them from the UK)also got Bud.You can see how we do it and give you a few pointers to help you in the right direction
Ian & Doreen
Ian and Doreen

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 10:55:39 AM »
Ian & Doreen,

Thank you very much for the invitation ;D

Do you want us to bring anything over with us? Is the Rallypark next door to the dealership? I'm hoping to call in at Lazydays on either Monday or tuesday of that week, so it would be great to meet up.

We haven't decided if it will be just me or all three of us (my wife,Tanya and step son, James might fancy a rest by the pool if it's the Monday).

What's the best way to get in touch with you when we get over?

Tom,
Thanks for the heads up on RV pricing. I was amazed to find out that NADA e-guide cd-rom ONLY cost $175!!  :o
But that did include postage!! :P

I'm glad it's free on-line..for the time being!!! ;)

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and especialy thanks to everyone who takes the time to post a reply...they are all most gratefully appreciated ;)

Andy
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 11:17:30 AM by AJHales »
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 12:12:40 PM »
Andy/Ian,

Be sure to snap some photos when you get together and upload them here for others to see. TIA.

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »
Hi Andy
Rally park is joined to the dealership,we will be there on monday 31st onwards for the week.Doreen is partial to Cadbury's whole nut chocolate so that would be a surprise.Rallypark has a nice pool and hot tub ,i will pm you my phone number or get Matt to give me a phone call or call into the Rallypark office they will give you our site number.Only too glad to help and look forward to seeing you
Ian
Ian and Doreen

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »
Doreen is partial to Cadbury's whole nut chocolate ...

Was that a subtle hint Ian  ;D

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2008, 03:17:15 PM »
Well i thought cod,chips and mushy peas would go cold ;D ;D
Although when we go back at the end of the month we will miss Golden Corral and the Grand China buffetts .Also Andy will have to try the Parksdale Farm stawberry shortcake while he is here
Ian and Doreen

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 03:20:23 PM »
I'd have had faggots and laverbred on my list rather than chocolate  ;D  Peas to go with the faggots we can buy here, as well as baby clams, which pass for cockles, to go with the laverbred.

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 04:24:02 PM »
I'd have had faggots and laverbred on my list rather than chocolate  ;D  Peas to go with the faggots we can buy here, as well as baby clams, which pass for cockles, to go with the laverbred.

Se habla Ingles aqui?
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 05:29:12 PM »
Aqui is spoken to Ingles  ???  If you say so Carl.

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »
No, whut I said was, "Itself speaks English here".   

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »
Diolch yn fawr (see prounciation below) to everyone.

http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/welsh/thanksvm_cy.mp3

Right I'm taking orders... mushy peas are a no no - too messy if the pot pops. Same goes for faggots. Laver bread and oysters might be a bit fishy & I don't want to attract Customs.
Doreen is partial to Cadbury's whole nut chocolate

Now that I can do!!.

How about a nice pint of Brains SA as a gift offering? ;D

Pasg Hapus / Happy Easter,

Andy

PS I am ashamed to say I know only a handful of welsh phrases, my children know a few more.... so know requests for welsh translations please!! ::)
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

forestboy

• ---
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2008, 07:44:21 PM »
Quote from: Ian H .Also Andy will have to try the Parksdale Farm stawberry shortcake while he is here
[/quote

We went to Parksdale a couple of days ago what a place never seen anything like it and strawberries to die for.
Cheers
Rory & Jan
2004 Damon in UK
Yamaha FJR1300
Kawasaki 650 Versys
2007 Saturn VUE toad

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2008, 07:47:39 PM »
Andy,

The real test is if you can sing Hen wlad fy nhadau as well as us Taffs can sing God save the Queen  ;D  But you have to sing it with hwyl (aka religious fervour).

BTW I saw the Triple Crown game against Ireland, but for some reason the Grand Slam game against France at the Millennium stadium didn't record. This morning my wife called her father in Morriston (Swansea) and he said he had it on DVD for me, and the DVD is in the mail. Phew!

I talked with my oldest son and he was playing tour guide for visitors in Amsterdam that weekend. He saw the game on TV in a bar there.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Re: Importing an RV into the UK
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
Laver bread and oysters might be a bit fishy & I don't want to attract Customs.

You can buy laberbred in cans. Not as good as the fresh stuff from the cockle ladies in Penclawdd or Swansea market, but still pretty good. Whenever we get visitors from the homeland, they always bring an extra case loaded with laverbred, otherwise we threaten to not pick them up at the airport.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2008, 08:35:18 PM »
..."Itself speaks English here".

Ah, I thought you were speaking Spanish. My mistake.

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 05:54:10 AM »
Tom,

I remember having some friends over on the way back from a canoe trip. As we went outside to unpack our neighbours came out with some visitors speaking welsh (he was boss of S4C at the time) and one of them said "oh, REAL ONES"!!  :P

They always took the mick that I was fiercly patriotic (especialy regarding the Rugby) , but could hardly speak a word of welsh!!

I could blame my school for not didn't teach it, but my french(which they did teach) isn't much better ::) ::)

Diolch,
Andy
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2008, 08:57:36 AM »
Andy,

Hope you realize I was only teasing.

My mother's side of the family was Welsh and my father's side originally came from Monmouthshire, a county that was sometimes claimed by Wales and sometimes by England. So my Dad used to say he didn't know which nationality he was. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time with two aunts on my mother's side, and they only spoke Welsh. Used to go to chapel 3 times on Sunday - all Welsh baptist.

I have fond memories of the French onion farmers from the Brittany coast crossing the channel and going door to door around the valleys on their bicycles selling their onions. They spoke only their Bretan dialect and many of the housewives answering the door spoke only Welsh. Since a number of words are similar and the grammar is almost the same, they could "converse" to some extent.

By the time I got to grammar school in Port Talbot, a town that had swelled with thousands of "foreigners" from England to man the huge steel plant, Welsh had become a second language. But the words and music of Welsh hymns and folk songs never go away, and I'm known to spontaneously break into a rendition of sospan fach, calon lan, or Cwm Rhondda.

Recently I've been downloading podcasts from BBC Wales and getting some total immersion in some of the all-Welsh programmes.

BTW the unique 'Cardiff accent' gave rise to the joke among valley folks that Cardiff, capital city of Wales, was really a part of England  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:58:01 AM by Tom »

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2008, 09:37:22 AM »
Andy
I have been a forum member many years, I also work at Lazy Days in sales.  If you have not yet made an introduction in sales, I would be glad to help you.  If you have, I am still glad to help and look forward to meeting you.  Please ask for me at the reception desk.  (Bill Whetstone)

I try not to mix work and forum, so forgive me Admins.

Oh, you have a hotel booked, but let me mention that we have an arrangement with Hampton Inn right across the street.  Make your reservation thru us and you get a pretty nice discount.

Also, the references made above for the strawberries and the buffets are great.  If you would like to try Cuban food, I can make another recommend, La Septima, on Parsons, about 6 miles away.  One of my favorites!
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »
I try not to mix work and forum, so forgive me Admins.

No need for apologies Bill. We've all known you long enough to know you're not here trying to sell anything.

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »
I am!  i want to see my name on thier Friends and Family board in reception.They recon the Crown Club meals are pretty good just cant seem to spend enough to get there though
Ian and Doreen

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »
Hey Bill
i forgot to mention ,they seem to have addressed the service problems very well and i was very impressed with warranty repairs on my trailer,a big improvement on my experiences in 2005.I was very impressed with the service given by Johnny Valdez on delivery and items that needed sorting.Matt Sibbick as always a first class salesman.Well done Lazy Days

Now give me the money  ;D ;D ;D
Ian
Ian and Doreen

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »
I saw the Triple Crown game against Ireland, but for some reason the Grand Slam game against France at the Millennium stadium didn't record.

Andy,

The DVD arrived in the mail today. What a wonderful grand slam game and a fitting end to the 6-nations tournament. France looked quite amateur in all phases of their game.

Next stop is the tour of South Africa to play the world cup winners.

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2008, 12:35:55 PM »
The Springboks should be fun ;D

Maybe we could organise an RV swop with some South Africians ? ::)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:37:41 PM by AJHales »
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »
Maybe we could organise an RV swop with some South Africians ?

Dunno about SA Andy but, if we were looking for a swap with some Wallabies supporters, here's what we'd get. So be careful what you wish for  ;D

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2008, 12:15:57 PM »
Thanks everybody for there help.

Next stop Florida. 8)

I'll be sure too let you all know how I get on  ;D

Andy
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »
Have a safe trip Andy be seeing you next week
Ian
Ian and Doreen

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2008, 08:16:33 AM »
Went to Lazy Days yesterday, with the plan to call on lots of people, but like the best laid plans of mice and men it went pear shaped ???

To cut a long story short we saw nobody, but we did get to have a good look around.

Didn't see anything that we liked and could afford  ;D

We may call in again later this week in which case we look forward to meeting everyone ;D

Don't know when I will next be in a Wi-Fi zone, but I will do my best to keep in touch.

Thanks everybody :)

Haven't needed my cardigan yet Tom 8) , wished I'd brought more sun tan!!

Andy
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »
Just keep on looking Andy, you'll find something sooner or later. Meanwhile, remember to leave the cheque book behind while you're window shopping.

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2008, 03:05:21 PM »
Andy
we are on site 244 Rallypark cant miss us got a British Flag tag on the front of the 5th wheel ,we are off to Fort De Soto tommorrow (thursday) to do some fishing on the pier .They got a very nice beach plus a popular campsite,if fishing is your bag your all welcome to join us .
Ian
Ian and Doreen

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2008, 01:29:50 PM »
Andy
Don't forget, those are sticker prices. 
Matt and I had lunch today, you need us, we are here.

Bill
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

Our holiday  8) is almost ended and we are flying home tomorrow :'(  .

I have called in to pick up my emails in readiness for getting back to work  :(

To cut a long story short, in between having a family holiday, we did find an RV that Tanya fell in love with, a GulfStream Sunvoyager 8292.  unfortunately it wasn't at Lazydays, but that is just the way the cookie crumbles.

Thanks everybody for all your help, sorry I didn't see anybody , too little time, too much to do....we will just have to come out again for much longer!!! Maybe for our next RV (3 years time - see earlier postin ;D ), but hopefully much sooner  ;)

Now I just need to get it over to the UK, registered and get the electrics converted.. Suggestions anybody?!! :P

THANKS EVERYBODY, THIS FORUM HAS BEEN A GREAT HELP & GIVEN ME THE COURAGE TO STOP THINKING ABOUT MY DREAM AND START LIVING IT!!

Andy &Tanya  :-*
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2008, 03:58:35 PM »
Congratulations on the Gulfstream Andy. Hope you have a lot of fun in it.

Don't forget to post photos and stop by the forum now and again to let us know where your travels take you.

We might have something in our library on converting to UK electrics, courtesy of one or more Brits who have blazed the trail before you. I believe that what most folks do is install a 240/120V transformer and leave most of the U.S. electrics alone. However, you'll need to switch the TVs out for PAL sets anyway. Hopefully, Paul (UK-RV) will see your post and jump in.

Say hi to the Taffs for us.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 04:04:28 PM by Tom »

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2008, 04:09:55 PM »
Its pouring with rain outside so it almost feels like home.....except i'm still in my shorts and t-shirt :D

I'll post photo's when I see my baby again (4-6 weeks depending on shipping schedule)  ;D
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »
LOL Andy, the rain is just preparing you for your return to (not so) sunny South Wales.

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2008, 09:10:51 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase Andy ,if Tanya is happy thats more than half the battle.If you take a visit to motorhomefacts.com a UK forum with a good RV section im,e sure someone will give you a contact for your conversion .Keep in touch on the forum and if you visit Cornwall be sure to look us up
Ian & Doreen
Ian and Doreen

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2008, 09:57:11 PM »
Congratulations on the Gulfstream Andy.  I am sure you will enjoy it.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2008, 03:41:51 AM »

Hi Andy

Well done on the purchase.

Electric Conversion

Buy a 230-110 Transformer from Airlink Transformers. We got the 5600 model.

DO NOT BOTHER to have all the RV converted to 230V - you cant do it all anyway (fridge/washer/microwave/etc) so it isn't worth doing at all in my opinion.

Contact Darren or Martin at Motorhome Medics in Cheltenham and they will connect the Transformer for you (plus all other work).

By keeping everything in the RV at 110V you are running it all as it was intended to be run - it wasn't designed to run half at 110V and half at 230V so why change it.

If you have an Energy Management System onboard it will operate fully as all the electrics will be monitored - if you change half to 230V it won't work as it should.

If you have a generator and wish to convert to 230V, you will need another Transformer for that (yet more expense) and extra wiring. If you keep everything at 110V the generator will work without any changes.

Motorhome Medics DID fit us a single 230V supply into the RV for emergency use. If you decide you want to convert to 230V later (an ill-informed buyer may insist on it) then it will be an easy and low cost job to do.

Televisions

You can buy multi-region and multi-voltage TVs in the USA (www.110220volts.com) BUT you need to be 110% sure of all the dimensions before you buy - we found out the hard way with one of the two TVs we purchased.

I would try (before you leave the USA) to get a supply of wood to match the TV cabinet for your RV and buy the TVs in the UK - the wood will be invaluable if you can't get a good size match.

Then, I would use a small 300W 110-230V transformer (for each TV) from Maplins at 30 - see Here

Lights & Fog Lamp

If you need amber lamps/lenses for the rear, try and source ones to match in the USA - much easier. Motorhome Medics will fit no problems (you will struggle to find a red fog lamp in USA so leave that til you get back).

Shipping

You can do this yourself very easily, but for less hassle I would contact Bernarr at RV Exports.

If you have a gas RV you can only ship with 1/4 tank fuel so you may have some driving around to do first. Diesel can be full.

Bernarr will empty and certify LPG tank for you (even if the way he does it is far from safe  :o).

UK Forum for RVers

Nearly all of the RVers have left motorhomefacts and can now be found at Motorhome Fun.

Facts costs 10/year whilst Fun is free.

Hope the above is of use.

Paul

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2008, 07:08:08 AM »
Thanks Paul. I should get that info into a file in our library so we can point folks to it in future.

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2008, 07:41:18 AM »
Hey Paul
i had a quick look at Motorhome Fun looks a good site but Doreen said if i spend any more time on forums i will be wearing the laptop as a necklace ;D ;D ;D
Ian and Doreen

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2008, 07:42:53 AM »
The direct link for that 5600 model Transformer is - HERE

I should add that nearly all RV owners in the UK are insistant that the vehicle should be converted to 230V - the debates can get fairly heated.

Unfortunately (I believe that) unless you are going to replace all your appliances within the RV at great cost, you will NEVER get a full 230V conversion and will end-up with a motorhome running two voltages. I'm not an electrician but I would imagine there must be some safety issues with this?

My view is that, as long as you have the option to install 230V sockets later-on, it is easier and cheaper to leave at 110V.

People will question using a "foreign" kettle and toaster but are happy to use the "foreign" microwave ;D. Remember, 110V kettles etc are available cheaply in the UK.

But, the final choice has to be yours.

Paul

PS Without getting into the usual arguments associated with UK forums, it would be good to have the views of someone in favour of going down the 230V conversion route.

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2008, 07:46:52 AM »

Hi Ian

Yes, MotorhomeFun is much better than Facts - and cheaper  ;D

One issue is that you have to put-up with Tom calling by but it's a small price to pay in order to save a tenner.

Paul

PS What are your thoughts on the 230V conversion issue. I know you converted the Revolution, but would you do it again?

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2008, 08:09:37 AM »
The file is now in the library here. Thanks again Paul.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2008, 08:11:51 AM »
One issue is that you have to put-up with Tom calling by ...

LOL Paul, just my attempts to keep everyone straight. But, of course, it's a losing battle  :(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 08:14:12 AM by Tom »

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2008, 08:45:23 AM »
This is what i did to the Revolution

I fitted an 8kva 240v to 110v transformer with dual 110v outlets to duplicate 50 amp service.
We used 110v throughout the coach (because it was full of 110v appliances) the only 240v was for the front TV which we ran a seperate power lead.

The rear TV ,sattelite reciever ,dvd etc was cheap items from ASDA (UK Wal Mart) and were dual votage 110v or 240v some were 12v and came with there own power pack.

Whilst talking to a Tech at Lazydays in 2005 he comented that the wireing may get hot because of the length of the 50Hz cycle compared to 60Hz cycle

My findings on this conversion and it seems most arguments on conversions tend not to mention are .

The A/C units make a lot of noise,as if they are working very hard  .This has been confirmed by other UK RVers so not just ours
The heat pumps were the same

The Microwave/convection oven makes noises,buzzing etc plus the timer is out of sync

The washer drier worked fine but timer was also out of sync

The EMS had gremlins ,i found it hard to control heat pumps to furnace etc

All these problems corrected themselves when on generator (the EMS took a while to sort its

Terrified of a fire (and i dont scare easily) i constantly felt the wireing ,and yes some of the heavy AMP wire got warm ,the rear heatpump burnt a wire,The ceramic heater wire got hot and burt through.

So is there any truth in what the Tech at Lazydays said or not ,i dont know im'e a practical chap not into science and can only post my experiences.

My thoughts on conversion are ,If i was going to keep the coach i would go for full conversion and i mean full conversion TV ,A/C Microwave and if the wire issue is proven i would get it rewired.Just see the thread on the RV fire .

As it was our plan to sell the Revolution and we already had the appliances we just did the bare minimum and the new owner did a full conversion.
Ian and Doreen

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2008, 09:17:47 AM »

I fitted an 8kva 240v to 110v transformer with dual 110v outlets to duplicate 50 amp service

Cheers Ian

Did you ever get enough (230V) power to run at 50 amps (110V)?

As I understood it, 16amps at 230V (generally the max you can get in the UK) would only give you just over 32amps at 110V.

I was told that even if you got above 16amps you would be in danger of burning the orange power hookup lead.

Confused.

Paul

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2008, 10:04:26 AM »
Hi Paul
We never had any problems with supply,although we never used the A/C  only in fan mode and stopped using the heatpumps
Ian and Doreen

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2008, 12:06:49 PM »

OK

We just turn on whatever we want to run and let the EMS work out what we can have.

We've used the air con heat without too many problems - if there are too many things on for the available amps the air con will blow cold instead of warm air.

We do know that we can't run both air conditioners together so don't even try - unless we're on the generator (which we try to avoid for obvious reasons*).

Paul

* price of diesel for anyone it wasnt obvious.

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »
Andy
Sorry we couldn't help you, wish you had stipped to say hello, maybe next time.  Best of luck with the Gulfstream, they make a pretty coach. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2008, 12:49:46 AM »
Paul,

Does the 50 cycle vs 60 cycle power enter into it?
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »
Does the 50 cycle vs 60 cycle power enter into it?

Hi Ron

Yes, the difference can cause minor "inconveniences" - such as the problems with clocks on various appliances as mentioned by Ian.

Unfortunately, there isn't too much you can do about that.

You would have to swop all the appliances to 230V to get around it, which is obviously expensive - asuming you find appliances to fit the holes the 110V stuff came out of.

Paul

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2008, 05:46:03 AM »
Induction motors, like those found in air conditioners, are always playing a game of 'catch-up'. That is, the armature is always trying to rotate fast enough to catch up with the rotating magnetic field of the stator. It can never do so, so the motor shaft will always turn somewhat slower than the theoretical maximum. That's why you typically see motor speeds of 1725 rpm or 3450 rpm - not an exact multiple of 60 Hz. When operating a 60 Hz motor at 50 Hz at the same voltage, it must work harder to handle the same size load, so it turns slower and uses more power, possibly causing overheating of the motor and the wiring going to it. Very simply, a 10hp/60Hz motor will only put out 8hp when running on 50Hz. Under load, such as the a/c compressor, it's drawing more current, working harder, and therefore making more noise. If the service factor of the motor is 1.2, running it at 50Hz should not present an overheating problem, but if it's only rated at a service factor of 1.0, it very well could overheat. Hopefully it will have a thermal cutout that will prevent motor damage or possible fire.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2008, 06:38:02 AM »
There you are
I knew someone would know why the A/C is noisey working on 50Hz,I knew why it was noisey but dont understand electricity that well  and that it didnt sound right .We never had cause to use the A/C in the UK although we did use the heatpumps,I should imagine if you used the A/C whilst wintering in Spain the noise would drive you mad by the end of the day,it just drones throughout the coach.After a while all the gremlins in the EMS ,timers,microwave etc start getting to you.
Although i loved the Revolution i wasn't sorry to see it go.
Ian
Ian and Doreen

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
Thanks Karl

Even I (mostly) understand that.

Paul

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2008, 11:27:30 AM »
Paul,
Think of it like a carrot on a stick. Tie the stick with a 10lb. carrot attached to your head or shoulder, out in front of you about 5 feet - this is the 60Hz carrot/stick combination. Now try running as fast as you can to catch it. No matter how fast you run, it will always be out of reach.  Replace the carrot with a 20lb. one (this is the 50Hz carrot/stick combination) and again try running as fast as you can to catch it. You still can't catch it, but because the 20lb. carrot is heavier, you expend the same amount of energy, but more of it is used up as heat (you get hotter, quicker), sacrificing speed in the process. That's what is meant by the motor always trying to play catch-up.

O.k., so it's not the best analogy in the world! ;D
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »

....Now try running....

Now you're just being silly!  ;D ;D

Anyone who knows me is fully aware I don't do running.  ;D

All this talk of healthy food and exercise makes me want a pie an a pint.

Paul

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2008, 09:12:33 AM »
LOL, Paul! :D

I did say it wasn't a very good analogy. In my case, replace the carrot with a glass of single malt or a pint of Guinness, and have me sitting in a recliner. ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2008, 09:42:49 AM »
Ian,

I added your list of issues as caveats at the end of the file here. Thanks for providing the list.

I had a few questions/clarifications:

The EMS had gremlins ,i found it hard to control heat pumps to furnace etc

Are you saying that you couldn't control the sequence in which appliances were blocked/allowed, or that the EMS just didn't work at all?

Terrified of a fire (and i dont scare easily) i constantly felt the wireing ,and yes some of the heavy AMP wire got warm ,the rear heatpump burnt a wire,The ceramic heater wire got hot and burt through.

That burned wire on the rear heat pump, was that inside the heat pump?

Was the ceramic heater one of those small portable ones? Where did the wire burn through? (Inside the heater, or at the plug?)

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2008, 07:11:58 AM »
Tom
the problem with the EMS was  when you turned on the rear heat pump the furnace fired up,turn on the furnace the fans worked on the A/C the same time you just didn't know what was going to happen next,when we ran on generator,original 110v 60Hz it would take 5 to 10 mins to sort itself out.

The whole lead on the ceramic heater got hot ,i could smell it first

On the heat pump if i remember correctly the wire was vissable when you took the inside cover off .

Ian and Doreen

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2008, 09:32:30 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications Ian, much appreciated.

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »
Home at last in sunny wales ;D where it is pouring with rain as normal  ;)

As promised here are some photo's of our RV. Already day dreaming of the moment we will finaly have it over here.

The photo's can be found here.

I couldn't attach the photo's as I think they are too big ???

Bernarr and  Cary from RV Exports are shipping it over for us as they came recommended by several people.

I hadn't realised that I didn't take a photo with both myself and Tanya in front of the RV. The man standing next to Tanya is Colin Barnley of Long view RV Superstores, who we found was very good.

Still haven't decided on the Electrics route.  ???

Now if  I could just get a long extension lead to the US I wouldn't have to worry about the Hz or the volts :D
[edit]Activated link.[/edit]

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:33:04 AM by Tom »
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2008, 10:34:03 AM »
Nice looking coach Andy. I can see you driving that down the narrow roads on the Gower peninsula  ;D

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2008, 10:47:02 AM »

Hi Ian

I have to say that we've not experienced the problems you mention.

The one time we had the air conditioner blowing cold last year it was a little louder than in the US, but we've had no problems with the heat pump side of it. It may switch from heat pump to furnace but that (I believe) is due to the outside temp being below 5C and it auto-switching to gas.

The washing machine and microwave timers are a little out, but as nobody who converts their electrics to 230V actually changes these items (from the 110V ones) they will have the same problem.

We have a ceramic heater which is often running for 10hrs a day and haven't had any issues with the lead/cable getting hot.

Paul

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2008, 11:00:52 AM »
Hi Paul
probably my bad luck.
Just said our good byes to Lindsay and Linda they just put thier Eagle in storage ,they fly back to Glasgow tonight.
Ours go into storage just over 2 weeks time  :'( :'( :'(
Some Brits here on Thousand Trails ,got 3 brit flags flying must go and say hi
Ian
Ian and Doreen

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »

About time too !!

It really wasn't on that you were all out there enjoying yourselves whilst Im here in the cold and rain.

I was going to start a new thread the other day to get a list of all the Brits currently touring the US - there must be a few out there at the moment.

Paul

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2008, 05:47:58 PM »
BTW Andy, when you head down the Gower, don't take this road over the hill from the Mumbles. Might be a bit tight.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »
Gee Tom that almost looks like the road in front of our house we lived in while in Japan. ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2008, 08:41:51 PM »
Ron,

I saw many reminders of the villages of Wales when I visited areas of Japan outside the large cities.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:44:56 PM by Tom »

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2008, 09:30:49 PM »
While we have never had the pleasure of visiting Wales your photo sure reminded me of our street Higashi Matsubara.  I bet you seen many similar streets in Japan.  They have a lot of them.

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2008, 05:26:26 PM »
I had to look twice at the photo as it reminded me very much of the road into Little Haven, a place my parents went for there summer holidays, and they took us when we were kids, and where we now take our kids. 8)

We used to stay at a cottage almost at the base of a hill like the one in the photo. It was at a juntion will the coastal road and they joined at a really wicked hairpin bend. We spent many hours watching people trying to reverse back up the hill after getting the corner wrong (the smell of burning clutches in the summer air).

It reminds me of a holiday which my parents thought was a disaster, and yet I remember it fondly as a holliday with loads of adventures Things went wrong and we had fun fixing them. ::)
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2008, 08:04:31 PM »
Tom,
I like the double yellow lines on both sides. Makes one wonder just how many people have tried to pass there. ::)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2008, 08:08:09 PM »
Err, Karl, the double yellow lines mean no parking  ;)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2008, 08:09:45 PM »
Aye Andy, lots of narrow lanes on hillsides like that throughout the UK. That one was the road from Bracelet Bay over to the Mumbles Road. You can see a small piece of Swansea Bay (with the tide out) in the distance. Had a nice walk with our friend that morning, starting from her place in Norton, down to The Mumbles, around the shoreline to Bracelet Bay, and over the top, eventually past Oystermouth castle. Not as magnificent as Cardiff Castle (Castell Caerdydd) of course.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:17:02 PM by Tom »

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »
They look like bike lanes to me.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2008, 08:17:37 PM »
They'd be small bikes with very skinny people riding them  ;D

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »
As long as they don't use their arms to signal turns they should be ok :)
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »
They look like bike lanes to me.

Cow paths.  90% of the roads in the UK were surveyed in by medieval cows.   Disoriented medieval cows.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2008, 01:52:30 AM »
In Wales they were sheep.

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2008, 03:13:37 PM »
In Wales they were sheep.

Of course. 

[I resist the temptation for sheep jokes.]

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2008, 09:50:05 AM »
You didn't resist, you just didn't post any.  Your mind was going a mile a minute.  Admit it.  (G) 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Nathan

• ---
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2008, 01:17:22 PM »
Paul

it's a good idea to find out how many of us Brits (er, and Swiss - my wife is from Geneva and she saw me typing this) are touring North America in our RVs.   We left our coach in Coburg, Oregon yesterday and fly out from Seattle to LHR tonight.   Missing it already, but we'll be back end of June to spend three months in Western Canada.   

Terry

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2008, 07:52:37 PM »
Paul

it's a good idea to find out how many of us Brits (er, and Swiss - my wife is from Geneva and she saw me typing this) are touring North America in our RVs.   We left our coach in Coburg, Oregon yesterday and fly out from Seattle to LHR tonight.   Missing it already, but we'll be back end of June to spend three months in Western Canada.   

Terry

Just relax when you come back across the border into the US ;D ;D ;D  Don't want you to stay away from us fro another 3 years.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2008, 07:41:17 AM »
Quick update:-

Our RV should have arrived last Saturday, but I have just heard that it was transfered to another vessel and wont be here until Thursday  :(

On the bright side I've just passed my heavy goods vehicle license test ( needed in the UK to drive vehicles over 7.5 tonnes) So at least when it does arrive I will be allowed to drive it  ;D

The weekend can't come soon enough  8)

Andy
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2008, 08:19:54 AM »
Congratulations on passing the HGV test Andy. Hopefully the second ship will come in on time and with all its cargo.

FWIW one reason I don't like traveling in the ocean at night is because ships occasionally lose containers overboard. They're like an iceberg (mostly below the surface) and can't be seen on radar. The shipping industry was talking some years ago about going to a water-soluble seal, so lost containers would eventually fill up with water and sink to the bottom :o 

Your coach is insured, right  ???  No worries then.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:23:03 AM by Tom »

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2008, 09:43:41 AM »
Congratulations on passing the HGV test Andy. Hopefully the second ship will come in on time and with all its cargo.

FWIW one reason I don't like traveling in the ocean at night is because ships occasionally lose containers overboard. They're like an iceberg (mostly below the surface) and can't be seen on radar. The shipping industry was talking some years ago about going to a water-soluble seal, so lost containers would eventually fill up with water and sink to the bottom :o 

But they do recover some of those containers even if the contents are a little soaked don't they. ??? ??? ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2008, 10:18:57 AM »
If they were on the west coast they'd have no chance of recovering the containers if, for example, they sank in 3,000-6,000  feet of water off Monterey Bay  :(

Does RV insurance including sinking at sea  ???
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:27:29 AM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2008, 08:09:32 AM »
The containers on this ship didn't do so well. Scroll down to see the photos.

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2008, 09:42:21 AM »
Just come off the phone from Bernarr Sargeant of RV Exports. MY RV is insured until I pick her up from Southampton ;D

I was sure it was insured, but all of a sudden I started to worry that I may have imagined it.  ::)

Happy now  ;D
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »
Apologies Andy, I didn't mean to give you a scare, or did I  ;D  Glad they were able to put your mind at ease.

Too bad the ship wasn't coming into Cardiff; That would have saved you some driving and fuel $$$.

BTW here's how they ship yachts.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:00:01 AM by Tom »

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2008, 10:58:35 AM »
Well she finally arrived last Thursday and we went down to pick her up from Southampton on friday.  ;D

I was a little worried after hearing horror stories about RV's being used by the sailors as living quarters, which makes the mind bogle  :o

SHE LOOKS FANTASTIC  ;D . Just as I remembered if not nicer.

All we need to do now is get the electrics converted for use in the UK by Motorhome Medics (who are also getting it UK registered for me) and we will be ready to roll. Hoping to have our first weekend away possibly first weekend in July. Hurrah 8)

Thanks to everyone for there help. It's been a lot of fun and a lot easier than I thought (Bernarr of RV Exports does all the hard work!!)

Andy & Tanya  8)
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »
Congratulations! Glad the coach arrived safely.

Be sure to post some photos and periodically post some stories of your travels.

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2008, 11:46:19 AM »
It will be my pleasure  ;D
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

The Limey

• ---
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2008, 04:24:51 PM »
Hi Andy
Glad you got it back ok

Regards Paul

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2008, 06:41:38 PM »
Glad your rig arrived safely.  I know you will get much enjoyment from it.

derek

• ---
  • Where ever I hang my hat. Thats my hat.
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2008, 02:59:01 PM »

[/quote]

Not nice Tom
Derek

Hosted by Over The Network