Re: Importing an RV into the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJHales

I have found this forum to be very inspiring and full of useful information. Despite all the information on importing an RV into the UK, I do not feel I have the expertise or the time to do it on my own. There are several companies offering to help me and I wonder if anyone has any experience most notably with Tim Rodway of RV Imports.
Thanks,
Andy

What does RV Imports offer to do that you couldn't do on your own? Would that be the part about visiting the U.S., finding and buying the RV, then wandering around the U.S. for long enough to avoid VAT at the UK end?

Hopefully in a few years time I will be able to put into practice all of the wonderful adventures I have read about and after a suitably long long exploation of North America I can return with a magnificent RV without paying Duty or VAT! BUT here & now I must still put the hours in at work which leaves me little time which i would rather not spend on the bureacracy of UK  importing. I guess I am scared it will take up time I do not have & with my lack of experience I will  get it wrong leaving me with a vehicle in UK docks that is illegal on UK roads.
Andy

Understood Andy. Just be sure that work doesn't override your life and you run out of time to live your dream. It took many of us a long time to realize this could happen and some of us took action early.

I recall a few years ago running into an old boss of mine, an aggressive, overpowering character in his working life. I commented that he was not the guy I remember working with and that he was now so different and relaxed. His reply was "One day I realized that what was really important was the percentage of my life that's remaining. That's the day I retired and bought a boat."

Trust you received my email and hope you were wearing &/or eating a leek on March 1.

I hear you load and clear Tom.javascript:void(0); Life is there to be enjoyed and I don't want to that put off until tomorrow.javascript:void(0);
Didn't get a chance to eat a leek on St Davids Day (1.3.08), but did enjoy some lava bread wrapped in mature smoked bacon.

Andy

I'm researching some worrying info at the moment which, if correct, will put a stop to ALL RVs being imported into the UK from 2012.

You may have to plan that trip pretty soon.  :eek:

I will let you know when I know more.

Paul

Thanks Paul I wasn't aware of that.
javascript:void(0);
The original plan was to buy a "nice" RV circa 2011 and start taking longer holidays touring around europe before going over to the USA in 2013/14 to buy our "dream" RVjavascript:void(0); and discover North America for over 12 months so allowing us to bring the RV back with us and not pay Duty & VAT. However, as Tom stated earlier, life is too short and there are more important things than work. The "new" plan is to buy now and tour North America in 2011. As I am working full time I don't want to "waste" my valuable free time sorting out Duty, VAT & road licensing an RV Import, hence the option of using RV Imports.
   Tim (from RV Imports) organizes trips over to the states, helps you chose your RV, imports it, licenses it over here and does the electrics (plugs , headlights etc). This would obviously mean I can spend more time with the family (and the RV when it arrives) and less time organizing the import. I can only take so much time off and this looked like the best solution, but if anyone else has any suggestions I would greatly appreciated it.

Andy

forgive my "straight to the point" reply BUT.....

why buy now if you arent going to do the tour until 2011? - and what use is there in speaking with rv imports until then (if at all) ?

if you are wanting a few holidays between now and 2011 then it will be cheaper to rent as you wont have the depreciation to worry about (you get to see if you like it and/or the USA too before you buy).

then, as long as you are back in the UK by april 2012, you could visit the US as planned in 2011, buy your RV and do a 12 month tour - which will qualify for VAT and Duty Free (if perk is still around then of course).

when 2011/2012 comes around you wont be working and will have the time to sort out the import etc (it really isnt that bad).

Paul

I'm also curious how much RV Imports charges for this service. Maybe I just found a new source of retirement income.

Hi Guy
Tim Rodway lives about 3 miles from me and I know him quite well.
He is a decent bloke who does this part time to supplement his income.
I've not heard anyone say anything bad about him in fact quite the oppossite most people who deal with him sing his praises.
He offered to import a new Monaco Cayman for me for the problem was I could buy the Monaco ?10k cheaper than he could because he's stuck with 1 supplier where as I could shop around and play 1 against the other.
He wanted ?5k for his trouble on top off shipping costs and about ?1.5k for UK conversions.
There is no reason you can't do this yourself if you do your homework.
It appears quite daunting at first but once you get into it it's not that terrifying and once it's in the UK there are plenty off people to do the conversions.

Unemotionally Paul you are right. Rent now, save me money and buy in 2011 when I am going to get full use out of the RV. :(
BUT emotionally I want to start the dream NOW  ;D or at least sooner than 2011.
I want to join the RV Family. Become part of the RV lifestyle if only for long weekends and the odd week here and there. I know I'm being impatient and that will cost me money in depreciation etc, but can you see my point of view? :-\
Tom, the ball park figures I've been told to work to, but not written in stone are for ?50,000 sterling look for a $70,000 RV. Price to include shipping,Duty,VAT, MOT & Tax (probably only 6 months) and full UK electric conversion (240v and headlamps). I think this isn't bad value for money, but then again it would probably take me ten times longer to do, plus I get peace of mind.

Andy,

Just to be sure I interpret the numbers correctly, you pay 50,000 quid ($100,000) for which you get a $70,000 RV. Everything you listed is included in the 50,000 quid. Given the shipping cost, duty and VAT, that doesn't sound like a bad deal. You end up with a "legal", licensed RV ready to go in the UK and, like you said, you don't need to take a year off work.

BTW the way the $US is going, you might get it for less (or get more RV For your money) if you wait a short while.

So the story so far... if I cann't/wont wait until 2011 then with my limited amount of free time getting the help of Tim from RV Imports seems like a good idea. Now Tim will help advise me on which RV to buy, but it would be useful if people could recommend dealers to visit when we go out to Florida in April. 8)
Rory I think Tim is using more than one dealer now,but I would still like to get a feel for what is on offer and at what price at a few places.

So you still visit the U.S., make the choice of RV, and make the actual purchase? Or does Tim actually buy it for you?

Andy

I guess I have a distrust of dealers and dont like giving my money away if I can help it.

From what Rory stated, this Tim will likely charge you ?5,000 for helping plus ?1,500 for the conversion.  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why not give us an idea what you want :-

petrol or diesel (probably petrol for the funds you have)
length (any restrictions on parking at home etc)
slides (probably as many as possible)
to sleep (how many must the RV sleep and whether adults, kids etc)
colour (white with graphics easiest)

TBH Andy, if you take a look at a few dealer websites and knock 25% off, you can be looking at an RV displayed at c$90,000 on the lot.

You can get a brand new 2008 gas RV for that much ($90k - 25%).

That's $67,500 to buy plus $1,000 to have someone drive to docks plus $4,000 shipping and $20,000 (?10,500 approx) for UK taxes - thats $92,500.

You started with $98,000 (?70,000), so take off the $92,500 and you have $7,500 for conversion - thats ?3,700 !!

Your conversion will set you back a maximum of ?2,000 inc new TVs.

If you want someone to complete the 10 minutes worth of paperwork, collect the RV from Southampton and deliver it for conversion - you should be paying A LOT less than Tims ?5k.

?1,000 should be more than enough for anyone - in fact, give me the nod when you're ready.  ;D

Paul

A grey area Tom. Tim organizes trips over to the States when he has enough interest (I think he is coming over tomorrow with 2 couples). It's a 3 day trip and he organizes flight, accommodation and which dealers to see. But he is also happy to let you to make your own arrangements. I'm still finding out the best way to do it and I'm not 100% sure ??? if what I have said is right, but it is to the best of my knowledge. :)
When we plan to go Tim will not be going, but he will advise us where to go and will get the vehicle checked out before we buy (don't know how, haven't asked yet).
I'll keep everyone informed as to the exact details when I know more.

Paul I might well take you up on that offer ;D
As I understand it:- ?50k gets you (via Tim) a fully modified,MOT & taxed uk road legal $70k imported RV.
If I'm luck and I talk to my bank manager nicely $70k will cost me ?37,995 (http://www.currenciesdirect.com/uk/#
Currencies Direct - Foreign Exchange Broker's) lets call it ?38k.
Add Duty and Vat.
38 + 10% = 41.8
41.8 + 17.5% = 49.115.
That doesn't leave a lot for shipping and uk conversion? :-\

As for the interesting stuff ;D
We are looking for an A class about 30 feet long (preferably smaller not larger). Must have slide outs. Plenty of light in the rear island double bedroom (or she will kill me). Leveling jacks, air con etc etc and at the price we are looking at probably gas which we will convert to LPG.
Let me pause for a while with a silly grin on my face as I picture it ;D

Andy
I was in Florida in January
Flight ?320 return
Car Hire ?100 week
Motel ?150 week
Fuel ?40 week
Compare that to the savings I made.
I used it as a holiday and a chance to look at RVs I did a lot of miles and visited  large and small dealers and a couple of private sales I arranged from the UK.
I bought a RV which was advertised at $125000 for $70000 (?35k) it is petrol 2006 4000 miles and mint, it would cost ?100k plus in the UK. There has never been a better time to buy an RV especially with the exchange rate at the moment. My advise would be go on your own look at Tim's choices by all means but I guarentee you'll do a better deal and the savings are massive. Use the NADA guide and buy at the bottom price. One word of warning those guys now how to deal and you must be hard and be prepared to walk out no matter how much you like a vehicle. They will come after you and ithey don't there are thousands for sale.
Also speak to the guys on this forum when you're there they'll give you good advise.
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom