Re: Importing an RV into the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Rory,
Any notes on your trip would be greatly recieved (where to go, who to see etc.)
I know the exchange rates etc mean now is a great time to buy, but I won't be rushed (or bullied) into buying. I will definatly be taking my laptop with me & you will probably be sick of me by the time I do buy ::)

For ?5k  i will arrange your flights, pick you up from the airport,take you around several dealers you could even stay with me in my new 5th wheel to get you in the RV mood then arrange the shipping and UK conversion.Wow money for old rope.Honestly do your homework and do it yourself  its very easy if i could do it anyone can
Ian

For ?5k  i will arrange your flights, pick you up from the airport,take you around several dealers ..

Hey Ian, wait in line  ;D

Hi Andy

I wouldnt use a bank for money transfer - try www.onlinefx.co.uk

Their rate today is approx 1.9763 which will give you just over $70,000 for ?35,450 plus ?30 transfer fee.

See - you've just managed to save ?2,500 just by posting on a forum.

Stick with it and you'll see everything else can fall into place just as easily.

Good Luck

Paul

Thanks everybody :)

?2,500 saved and firends made. Life really is sweet ;D

Just found out that the time share we had arranged to stay at has gone pear shaped, so unless another slot turns up soon we will be delaying our florida trip. :(

Tanya (my better half) was sold on the idea of using our timeshare so I wont even contemplate asking her if we can stay anywhere else (Hotels etc.)

All good things come to those who wait ::)

I'll keep everyone up dated. Thanks again.

Andy

Hi Andy

I'm a bit late jumping in, but here's my pennyworth.  We're on our fifth RV in the States (currently a 2008 Newmay Kountry Star).  When negotiating, the advice we were given was start by looking for a one third discount, and do not settle for less than 28% - and that worked with all of them.  Once the salesman is hooked casually mention a few extras - they often have more leeway with those than with straight cash.  If you're buying in Florida, Lazy Days come to mind, being the biggest on that coast.  Not our choice (we prefer the West Coast) but we did buy a 5th wheel for a Brit friend from them, got a very good deal on price, then asked them to transport it to Jacksonville for the ferry to Southampton, which they did free of charge.  Then when he had problems with the awning in North Wales, they shipped a new one to him without any hassle at all.

Best advice I've read in all the postings, is to come on over, look around all the RV dealers, enjoy the experience and have fun - a week in a motel (if you can't get the time share you mejntioned), a week's car rental, ?400 each for the return flight, ?1250 for the lot and you'll have a ball - and save a ton of money too.

Terry (enjoying the sun in Arizona)

Hi Andy

A reference for you I've just booked flights for next week with return flights in June ?310 each that includes ?20 off for regular fliers through Expedia.com.
Booked a nice hotel 10 miles outside Tampa for a few days while we sort out the RV $110 (?55)ish for 2 nights for 2 including breakfast.

Thanks for your advice Terry.
I/we intend on having fun buying the RV and not getting too stressed about it. We have decided only to buy if it feels right and to enjoy having a holiday in Florida. 8)

you said:-
" When negotiating, the advice we were given was start by looking for a one third discount, and do not settle for less than 28% - and that worked with all of them. "
Is that for a new RV or does that apply to second hand RV's as well?

Rory,
Thanks for the advice on flights, but I had already booked them via travelocity which is why we are staying an extra day (big savings$$$$),
If you say you have flexible travel options they produce a grid which shows the different prices for different days.

We are leaving on March 30th so any more advice greatly accepted.

Can't wait 8)

Andy

We are leaving on March 30th so any more advice greatly accepted.

Just be sure to bring sweaters, overcoats and snow boots. Florida gets pretty cold that time of year.

Nah, just kidding. After (not so) sunny South Wales, you'll think you're on the Med  ;D

Thanks Tom,
Looking forward to some nice weather in florida, but you can't beat Cardiff on a winning Grand Slam weekend!! ;D
The last time we won the Grand Slam  was just before the last time we went to Florida. I wonder if the welsh rugby union(WRU) would pay me to go each year!! 8)
Now if I could find a nice A Class about 30 feet or less for under $75K life would be complete. ;)
Andy

... you can't beat Cardiff on a winning Grand Slam weekend!!

That's for sure Andy. But I hope you're not spoiling my enjoyment of recorded rugby when we get home from vacation  ??? I believe I've missed two weekends of 6-nations games and can't wait to see them later this week. They hadn't yet won the Triple Crown when we left home, and now you're talking Grand Slam  :eek:  I'm surprised my oldest son hasn't called me, but he knows that, even when we're home, I see the games delayed.

BTW I understand that Tiger Bay (aka Butetown) has changed significantly since the days when Shirley Bassey grew up there. Used to be a very bad area, and I understand they've renamed it Cardiff Bay to help with the new upscale image.

Andy

That's for a new MH, but up to two tears old you should still be able to get around gthe same.  Have a safe flight, an enjoyable time in Florida (as Tom said, take your woolies!!!), and ship your new MH back home safely! 

Terry (now at Indio Outdoor Resorts Motor Coach Country Club - wonderful) - ours is the first MH on the right side, facing the waterfront) ;D

Attachments

• Copy of indio panorama.jpg
    Copy of indio panorama.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 53
Tom,

Sorry if I spoilt your enjoyment of the match(s). In my defense I did leave it until 2 days after the last match before posting  :-\

I just couldn't keep quiet any longer ;D ;D

Nathan, couldn't quite work out your message
Nathan said:
Andy

That's for a new MH, but up to two tears old you should still be able to get around gthe same. 

Looking forward to Florida no matter what the weather. Fingers crossed both the weather and the dealers will be kind to me!! :)

Is there anyone from the forum in or around Orlando/Tampa the week we are there (30.03.08) who could give me a few pointers?

Andy 8)

No problem Andy, and I could tell you were overflowing with joy. Can't wait to get home tomorrow and see the games. I just hope the DVR worked and actually recorded them. I consciously haven't looked at the scores online.

I think Terry (Nathan) was saying that $75K is a bit low for a new motorhome, but you should be able to get a 2-year old one for that price.

The clock is ticking for you since you're going to be in Tampa March 30. Unfortunately, I'm about as far from Florida as you currently are so, regrettably, I can't be there.

Tom, Sorry you wont be able to "pop over" to see me in Tampa, but it's the thought that counts!! ;D

I like the idea of buying second hand RV as ,hopefully, all the bugs will have been sorted out by the previous owner.

I was also thinking of car prices in the UK where there is a huge hunk of depreciation in the first year or two. Is this the same for motorhomes in the US?
Andy

Andy,

The biggest drop in depreciation on a new motorhome or car happens as you drive off the dealership.

In case we haven't previously told you, check out used car and RV prices at NADA price guides. When looking at RV prices, don't add any options and use the lower $ number.

Hi Andy
we will be in Lazydays Rallypark just chilling out from the 31st for the week,you are welcome to to come around for a coffee,if you want a cuppa tea bring your own T bags,(best bring them from the UK)also got Bud.You can see how we do it and give you a few pointers to help you in the right direction
Ian & Doreen

Ian & Doreen,

Thank you very much for the invitation ;D

Do you want us to bring anything over with us? Is the Rallypark next door to the dealership? I'm hoping to call in at Lazydays on either Monday or tuesday of that week, so it would be great to meet up.

We haven't decided if it will be just me or all three of us (my wife,Tanya and step son, James might fancy a rest by the pool if it's the Monday).

What's the best way to get in touch with you when we get over?

Tom,
Thanks for the heads up on RV pricing. I was amazed to find out that NADA e-guide cd-rom ONLY cost $175!!  :eek:
But that did include postage!! :p

I'm glad it's free on-line..for the time being!!! ;)

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and especialy thanks to everyone who takes the time to post a reply...they are all most gratefully appreciated ;)

Andy

Andy/Ian,

Be sure to snap some photos when you get together and upload them here for others to see. TIA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom