EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Re: Importing an RV into the UK  (Read 70100 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Importing an RV into the UK
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »
Maybe we could organise an RV swop with some South Africians ?

Dunno about SA Andy but, if we were looking for a swap with some Wallabies supporters, here's what we'd get. So be careful what you wish for  ;D
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

AJHales

• ---
  • Little Haven-More than a destination
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2008, 12:15:57 PM »
Thanks everybody for there help.

Next stop Florida. 8)

I'll be sure too let you all know how I get on  ;D

Andy
Andy
If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin.
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »
Have a safe trip Andy be seeing you next week
Ian
Ian and Doreen
Dodge 3500 Dually   Cedar Creek 5th Wheel

Cornwall UK   when not touring USA

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2008, 08:16:33 AM »
Went to Lazy Days yesterday, with the plan to call on lots of people, but like the best laid plans of mice and men it went pear shaped ???

To cut a long story short we saw nobody, but we did get to have a good look around.

Didn't see anything that we liked and could afford  ;D

We may call in again later this week in which case we look forward to meeting everyone ;D

Don't know when I will next be in a Wi-Fi zone, but I will do my best to keep in touch.

Thanks everybody :)

Haven't needed my cardigan yet Tom 8) , wished I'd brought more sun tan!!

Andy
Andy
If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin.
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »
Just keep on looking Andy, you'll find something sooner or later. Meanwhile, remember to leave the cheque book behind while you're window shopping.

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2008, 03:05:21 PM »
Andy
we are on site 244 Rallypark cant miss us got a British Flag tag on the front of the 5th wheel ,we are off to Fort De Soto tommorrow (thursday) to do some fishing on the pier .They got a very nice beach plus a popular campsite,if fishing is your bag your all welcome to join us .
Ian
Ian and Doreen

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2008, 01:29:50 PM »
Andy
Don't forget, those are sticker prices. 
Matt and I had lunch today, you need us, we are here.

Bill
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

Our holiday  8) is almost ended and we are flying home tomorrow :'(  .

I have called in to pick up my emails in readiness for getting back to work  :(

To cut a long story short, in between having a family holiday, we did find an RV that Tanya fell in love with, a GulfStream Sunvoyager 8292.  unfortunately it wasn't at Lazydays, but that is just the way the cookie crumbles.

Thanks everybody for all your help, sorry I didn't see anybody , too little time, too much to do....we will just have to come out again for much longer!!! Maybe for our next RV (3 years time - see earlier postin ;D ), but hopefully much sooner  ;)

Now I just need to get it over to the UK, registered and get the electrics converted.. Suggestions anybody?!! :P

THANKS EVERYBODY, THIS FORUM HAS BEEN A GREAT HELP & GIVEN ME THE COURAGE TO STOP THINKING ABOUT MY DREAM AND START LIVING IT!!

Andy &Tanya  :-*
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2008, 03:58:35 PM »
Congratulations on the Gulfstream Andy. Hope you have a lot of fun in it.

Don't forget to post photos and stop by the forum now and again to let us know where your travels take you.

We might have something in our library on converting to UK electrics, courtesy of one or more Brits who have blazed the trail before you. I believe that what most folks do is install a 240/120V transformer and leave most of the U.S. electrics alone. However, you'll need to switch the TVs out for PAL sets anyway. Hopefully, Paul (UK-RV) will see your post and jump in.

Say hi to the Taffs for us.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 04:04:28 PM by Tom »

AJHales

• ---
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2008, 04:09:55 PM »
Its pouring with rain outside so it almost feels like home.....except i'm still in my shorts and t-shirt :D

I'll post photo's when I see my baby again (4-6 weeks depending on shipping schedule)  ;D
Andy
- Ivan Turgenev
Enjoying lifes Journey

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »
LOL Andy, the rain is just preparing you for your return to (not so) sunny South Wales.

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2008, 09:10:51 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase Andy ,if Tanya is happy thats more than half the battle.If you take a visit to motorhomefacts.com a UK forum with a good RV section im,e sure someone will give you a contact for your conversion .Keep in touch on the forum and if you visit Cornwall be sure to look us up
Ian & Doreen
Ian and Doreen

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2008, 09:57:11 PM »
Congratulations on the Gulfstream Andy.  I am sure you will enjoy it.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2008, 03:41:51 AM »

Hi Andy

Well done on the purchase.

Electric Conversion

Buy a 230-110 Transformer from Airlink Transformers. We got the 5600 model.

DO NOT BOTHER to have all the RV converted to 230V - you cant do it all anyway (fridge/washer/microwave/etc) so it isn't worth doing at all in my opinion.

Contact Darren or Martin at Motorhome Medics in Cheltenham and they will connect the Transformer for you (plus all other work).

By keeping everything in the RV at 110V you are running it all as it was intended to be run - it wasn't designed to run half at 110V and half at 230V so why change it.

If you have an Energy Management System onboard it will operate fully as all the electrics will be monitored - if you change half to 230V it won't work as it should.

If you have a generator and wish to convert to 230V, you will need another Transformer for that (yet more expense) and extra wiring. If you keep everything at 110V the generator will work without any changes.

Motorhome Medics DID fit us a single 230V supply into the RV for emergency use. If you decide you want to convert to 230V later (an ill-informed buyer may insist on it) then it will be an easy and low cost job to do.

Televisions

You can buy multi-region and multi-voltage TVs in the USA (www.110220volts.com) BUT you need to be 110% sure of all the dimensions before you buy - we found out the hard way with one of the two TVs we purchased.

I would try (before you leave the USA) to get a supply of wood to match the TV cabinet for your RV and buy the TVs in the UK - the wood will be invaluable if you can't get a good size match.

Then, I would use a small 300W 110-230V transformer (for each TV) from Maplins at 30 - see Here

Lights & Fog Lamp

If you need amber lamps/lenses for the rear, try and source ones to match in the USA - much easier. Motorhome Medics will fit no problems (you will struggle to find a red fog lamp in USA so leave that til you get back).

Shipping

You can do this yourself very easily, but for less hassle I would contact Bernarr at RV Exports.

If you have a gas RV you can only ship with 1/4 tank fuel so you may have some driving around to do first. Diesel can be full.

Bernarr will empty and certify LPG tank for you (even if the way he does it is far from safe  :o).

UK Forum for RVers

Nearly all of the RVers have left motorhomefacts and can now be found at Motorhome Fun.

Facts costs 10/year whilst Fun is free.

Hope the above is of use.

Paul

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2008, 07:08:08 AM »
Thanks Paul. I should get that info into a file in our library so we can point folks to it in future.

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2008, 07:41:18 AM »
Hey Paul
i had a quick look at Motorhome Fun looks a good site but Doreen said if i spend any more time on forums i will be wearing the laptop as a necklace ;D ;D ;D
Ian and Doreen

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2008, 07:42:53 AM »
The direct link for that 5600 model Transformer is - HERE

I should add that nearly all RV owners in the UK are insistant that the vehicle should be converted to 230V - the debates can get fairly heated.

Unfortunately (I believe that) unless you are going to replace all your appliances within the RV at great cost, you will NEVER get a full 230V conversion and will end-up with a motorhome running two voltages. I'm not an electrician but I would imagine there must be some safety issues with this?

My view is that, as long as you have the option to install 230V sockets later-on, it is easier and cheaper to leave at 110V.

People will question using a "foreign" kettle and toaster but are happy to use the "foreign" microwave ;D. Remember, 110V kettles etc are available cheaply in the UK.

But, the final choice has to be yours.

Paul

PS Without getting into the usual arguments associated with UK forums, it would be good to have the views of someone in favour of going down the 230V conversion route.

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2008, 07:46:52 AM »

Hi Ian

Yes, MotorhomeFun is much better than Facts - and cheaper  ;D

One issue is that you have to put-up with Tom calling by but it's a small price to pay in order to save a tenner.

Paul

PS What are your thoughts on the 230V conversion issue. I know you converted the Revolution, but would you do it again?

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2008, 08:09:37 AM »
The file is now in the library here. Thanks again Paul.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Re: Importing an RV into the UK
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2008, 08:11:51 AM »
One issue is that you have to put-up with Tom calling by ...

LOL Paul, just my attempts to keep everyone straight. But, of course, it's a losing battle  :(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 08:14:12 AM by Tom »

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2008, 08:45:23 AM »
This is what i did to the Revolution

I fitted an 8kva 240v to 110v transformer with dual 110v outlets to duplicate 50 amp service.
We used 110v throughout the coach (because it was full of 110v appliances) the only 240v was for the front TV which we ran a seperate power lead.

The rear TV ,sattelite reciever ,dvd etc was cheap items from ASDA (UK Wal Mart) and were dual votage 110v or 240v some were 12v and came with there own power pack.

Whilst talking to a Tech at Lazydays in 2005 he comented that the wireing may get hot because of the length of the 50Hz cycle compared to 60Hz cycle

My findings on this conversion and it seems most arguments on conversions tend not to mention are .

The A/C units make a lot of noise,as if they are working very hard  .This has been confirmed by other UK RVers so not just ours
The heat pumps were the same

The Microwave/convection oven makes noises,buzzing etc plus the timer is out of sync

The washer drier worked fine but timer was also out of sync

The EMS had gremlins ,i found it hard to control heat pumps to furnace etc

All these problems corrected themselves when on generator (the EMS took a while to sort its

Terrified of a fire (and i dont scare easily) i constantly felt the wireing ,and yes some of the heavy AMP wire got warm ,the rear heatpump burnt a wire,The ceramic heater wire got hot and burt through.

So is there any truth in what the Tech at Lazydays said or not ,i dont know im'e a practical chap not into science and can only post my experiences.

My thoughts on conversion are ,If i was going to keep the coach i would go for full conversion and i mean full conversion TV ,A/C Microwave and if the wire issue is proven i would get it rewired.Just see the thread on the RV fire .

As it was our plan to sell the Revolution and we already had the appliances we just did the bare minimum and the new owner did a full conversion.
Ian and Doreen

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2008, 09:17:47 AM »

I fitted an 8kva 240v to 110v transformer with dual 110v outlets to duplicate 50 amp service

Cheers Ian

Did you ever get enough (230V) power to run at 50 amps (110V)?

As I understood it, 16amps at 230V (generally the max you can get in the UK) would only give you just over 32amps at 110V.

I was told that even if you got above 16amps you would be in danger of burning the orange power hookup lead.

Confused.

Paul

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2008, 10:04:26 AM »
Hi Paul
We never had any problems with supply,although we never used the A/C  only in fan mode and stopped using the heatpumps
Ian and Doreen

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2008, 12:06:49 PM »

OK

We just turn on whatever we want to run and let the EMS work out what we can have.

We've used the air con heat without too many problems - if there are too many things on for the available amps the air con will blow cold instead of warm air.

We do know that we can't run both air conditioners together so don't even try - unless we're on the generator (which we try to avoid for obvious reasons*).

Paul

* price of diesel for anyone it wasnt obvious.

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »
Andy
Sorry we couldn't help you, wish you had stipped to say hello, maybe next time.  Best of luck with the Gulfstream, they make a pretty coach. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2008, 12:49:46 AM »
Paul,

Does the 50 cycle vs 60 cycle power enter into it?
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »
Does the 50 cycle vs 60 cycle power enter into it?

Hi Ron

Yes, the difference can cause minor "inconveniences" - such as the problems with clocks on various appliances as mentioned by Ian.

Unfortunately, there isn't too much you can do about that.

You would have to swop all the appliances to 230V to get around it, which is obviously expensive - asuming you find appliances to fit the holes the 110V stuff came out of.

Paul

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2008, 05:46:03 AM »
Induction motors, like those found in air conditioners, are always playing a game of 'catch-up'. That is, the armature is always trying to rotate fast enough to catch up with the rotating magnetic field of the stator. It can never do so, so the motor shaft will always turn somewhat slower than the theoretical maximum. That's why you typically see motor speeds of 1725 rpm or 3450 rpm - not an exact multiple of 60 Hz. When operating a 60 Hz motor at 50 Hz at the same voltage, it must work harder to handle the same size load, so it turns slower and uses more power, possibly causing overheating of the motor and the wiring going to it. Very simply, a 10hp/60Hz motor will only put out 8hp when running on 50Hz. Under load, such as the a/c compressor, it's drawing more current, working harder, and therefore making more noise. If the service factor of the motor is 1.2, running it at 50Hz should not present an overheating problem, but if it's only rated at a service factor of 1.0, it very well could overheat. Hopefully it will have a thermal cutout that will prevent motor damage or possible fire.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Ian H

• ---
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2008, 06:38:02 AM »
There you are
I knew someone would know why the A/C is noisey working on 50Hz,I knew why it was noisey but dont understand electricity that well  and that it didnt sound right .We never had cause to use the A/C in the UK although we did use the heatpumps,I should imagine if you used the A/C whilst wintering in Spain the noise would drive you mad by the end of the day,it just drones throughout the coach.After a while all the gremlins in the EMS ,timers,microwave etc start getting to you.
Although i loved the Revolution i wasn't sorry to see it go.
Ian
Ian and Doreen

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
Thanks Karl

Even I (mostly) understand that.

Paul

Hosted by Over The Network