Re: Importing an RV into the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe we could organise an RV swop with some South Africians ?

Dunno about SA Andy but, if we were looking for a swap with some Wallabies supporters, here's what we'd get. So be careful what you wish for  ;D

Attachments

• RV_down_under.jpg
    RV_down_under.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 39
Went to Lazy Days yesterday, with the plan to call on lots of people, but like the best laid plans of mice and men it went pear shaped ???

To cut a long story short we saw nobody, but we did get to have a good look around.

Didn't see anything that we liked and could afford  ;D

We may call in again later this week in which case we look forward to meeting everyone ;D

Don't know when I will next be in a Wi-Fi zone, but I will do my best to keep in touch.

Thanks everybody :)

Haven't needed my cardigan yet Tom 8) , wished I'd brought more sun tan!!

Andy

Just keep on looking Andy, you'll find something sooner or later. Meanwhile, remember to leave the cheque book behind while you're window shopping.

Andy
we are on site 244 Rallypark cant miss us got a British Flag tag on the front of the 5th wheel ,we are off to Fort De Soto tommorrow (thursday) to do some fishing on the pier .They got a very nice beach plus a popular campsite,if fishing is your bag your all welcome to join us .
Ian

Hi everyone,

Our holiday  8) is almost ended and we are flying home tomorrow :'(  .

I have called in to pick up my emails in readiness for getting back to work  :(

To cut a long story short, in between having a family holiday, we did find an RV that Tanya fell in love with, a GulfStream Sunvoyager 8292.  unfortunately it wasn't at Lazydays, but that is just the way the cookie crumbles.

Thanks everybody for all your help, sorry I didn't see anybody , too little time, too much to do....we will just have to come out again for much longer!!! Maybe for our next RV (3 years time - see earlier postin ;D ), but hopefully much sooner  ;)

Now I just need to get it over to the UK, registered and get the electrics converted.. Suggestions anybody?!! :p

THANKS EVERYBODY, THIS FORUM HAS BEEN A GREAT HELP & GIVEN ME THE COURAGE TO STOP THINKING ABOUT MY DREAM AND START LIVING IT!!

Andy &Tanya  :-*

Congratulations on the Gulfstream Andy. Hope you have a lot of fun in it.

Don't forget to post photos and stop by the forum now and again to let us know where your travels take you.

We might have something in our library on converting to UK electrics, courtesy of one or more Brits who have blazed the trail before you. I believe that what most folks do is install a 240/120V transformer and leave most of the U.S. electrics alone. However, you'll need to switch the TVs out for PAL sets anyway. Hopefully, Paul (UK-RV) will see your post and jump in.

Say hi to the Taffs for us.

Tom

Its pouring with rain outside so it almost feels like home.....except i'm still in my shorts and t-shirt :D

I'll post photo's when I see my baby again (4-6 weeks depending on shipping schedule)  ;D

LOL Andy, the rain is just preparing you for your return to (not so) sunny South Wales.

Congratulations on your purchase Andy ,if Tanya is happy thats more than half the battle.If you take a visit to motorhomefacts.com a UK forum with a good RV section im,e sure someone will give you a contact for your conversion .Keep in touch on the forum and if you visit Cornwall be sure to look us up
Ian & Doreen

Hi Andy

Well done on the purchase.

Electric Conversion

Buy a 230-110 Transformer from Airlink Transformers. We got the 5600 model.

DO NOT BOTHER to have all the RV converted to 230V - you cant do it all anyway (fridge/washer/microwave/etc) so it isn't worth doing at all in my opinion.

Contact Darren or Martin at Motorhome Medics in Cheltenham and they will connect the Transformer for you (plus all other work).

By keeping everything in the RV at 110V you are running it all as it was intended to be run - it wasn't designed to run half at 110V and half at 230V so why change it.

If you have an Energy Management System onboard it will operate fully as all the electrics will be monitored - if you change half to 230V it won't work as it should.

If you have a generator and wish to convert to 230V, you will need another Transformer for that (yet more expense) and extra wiring. If you keep everything at 110V the generator will work without any changes.

Motorhome Medics DID fit us a single 230V supply into the RV for emergency use. If you decide you want to convert to 230V later (an ill-informed buyer may insist on it) then it will be an easy and low cost job to do.

Televisions

You can buy multi-region and multi-voltage TVs in the USA (www.110220volts.com) BUT you need to be 110% sure of all the dimensions before you buy - we found out the hard way with one of the two TVs we purchased.

I would try (before you leave the USA) to get a supply of wood to match the TV cabinet for your RV and buy the TVs in the UK - the wood will be invaluable if you can't get a good size match.

Then, I would use a small 300W 110-230V transformer (for each TV) from Maplins at ?30 - see Here

Lights & Fog Lamp

If you need amber lamps/lenses for the rear, try and source ones to match in the USA - much easier. Motorhome Medics will fit no problems (you will struggle to find a red fog lamp in USA so leave that til you get back).

Shipping

You can do this yourself very easily, but for less hassle I would contact Bernarr at RV Exports.

If you have a gas RV you can only ship with 1/4 tank fuel so you may have some driving around to do first. Diesel can be full.

Bernarr will empty and certify LPG tank for you (even if the way he does it is far from safe  :eek:).

UK Forum for RVers

Nearly all of the RVers have left motorhomefacts and can now be found at Motorhome Fun.

Facts costs ?10/year whilst Fun is free.

Hope the above is of use.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I should get that info into a file in our library so we can point folks to it in future.

Hey Paul
i had a quick look at Motorhome Fun looks a good site but Doreen said if i spend any more time on forums i will be wearing the laptop as a necklace ;D ;D ;D

The direct link for that 5600 model Transformer is - HERE

I should add that nearly all RV owners in the UK are insistant that the vehicle should be converted to 230V - the debates can get fairly heated.

Unfortunately (I believe that) unless you are going to replace all your appliances within the RV at great cost, you will NEVER get a full 230V conversion and will end-up with a motorhome running two voltages. I'm not an electrician but I would imagine there must be some safety issues with this?

My view is that, as long as you have the option to install 230V sockets later-on, it is easier and cheaper to leave at 110V.

People will question using a "foreign" kettle and toaster but are happy to use the "foreign" microwave ;D. Remember, 110V kettles etc are available cheaply in the UK.

But, the final choice has to be yours.

Paul

PS Without getting into the usual arguments associated with UK forums, it would be good to have the views of someone in favour of going down the 230V conversion route.

Hi Ian

Yes, MotorhomeFun is much better than Facts - and cheaper  ;D

One issue is that you have to put-up with Tom calling by but it's a small price to pay in order to save a tenner.

Paul

PS What are your thoughts on the 230V conversion issue. I know you converted the Revolution, but would you do it again?

One issue is that you have to put-up with Tom calling by ...

LOL Paul, just my attempts to keep everyone straight. But, of course, it's a losing battle  :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom