WiFi speeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caltex

I am sitting here in a RV park using their free wifi.  It has been like lightning all week, but tonight it is like dial up.  Just curious, does anyone know how bandwidth is allocated on these systems? And how much there is?  Although the park has filled up today, it?s not much different than other days. I just thought that it would be unusual for a few extra people to slow the thing down so much.

Robert

Bandwidth can vary,, Wi-Fi can easily hit 11MegBits per second.  however DSL is only about 2 megs and cable tops out at around 4 or 5, so clearly the Wi-Fi is NOT the limiting factor

Now, Let us assume they have a 2meg-a-bit per second DSL.  You are alone among the users, you have a full speed DSL connection.

Now assume 10 other people,, now you have 1/11th DSL

If you hit 100 users.. dial up

caltex said:
I am sitting here in a RV park using their free wifi.? It has been like lightning all week, but tonight it is like dial up.? Just curious, does anyone know how bandwidth is allocated on these systems? And how much there is?? Although the park has filled up today, it?s not much different than other days. I just thought that it would be unusual for a few extra people to slow the thing down so much.

Robert

Besides the point made by JID, the position of other rigs cause degradatiion of signal and weather plays a factor as well. Most free systems are bare bone single antenna and thus subject to many issues.

Robert,

WIFI is flaky to say the least. It's a radio and subject to all kinds of interference. When we were at Moab I was parked no more than about 40' from Jim Johnson. I could not could not connect to him most of the time. I could see the campground WIFI which was several hundred feet away. Sometimes I could get connected and sometimes I couldn't . It was a very frustrating week but Verizon worked very well after hours. :)

Well I'm back on the air.  I spent a couple of days unable to use the WiFi at all, so when the holiday
RVs began to clear out, I was able to move closer to the office (and antenna).  Made a big difference.  I decided after walking around with the computer that the signal strength had a big impact on the speed.  I assume that's because of having to retransmit a lot because of the error rate.  This was my first experience with WiFi, and I agree that it is variable (flakey, I think Jim said).  This weekend I had everything going against me, full park, a lot of big rigs between me and the antenna and thunderstorms. Anyway thanks for the replies. I used the brute force solution - get closer to the source!

Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom