Yellowstone/Grand Tetons - What to do/not to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okie

Howdy all.  My family and I are taking our TT on a 10 day trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.  Looks like we'll be staying at Flagg Ranch located between YS and GT.  I checked the library for some info on YS, but can anyone give me some tips on what to do or not to do while in the area?  I love trout fishing and will surely do my fare share of it while on vacation.  Any good lakes/streams you can recommend.  Also, are there any golf courses close to YS or GT?  Any other info you can relay would be much appreciated.  TIA!!!!

Okie

Okie said:
Howdy all.  My family and I are taking our TT on a 10 day trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.  Looks like we'll be staying at Flagg Ranch located between YS and GT.  I checked the library for some info on YS, but can anyone give me some tips on what to do or not to do while in the area?  I love trout fishing and will surely do my fare share of it while on vacation.  Any good lakes/streams you can recommend.  Also, are there any golf courses close to YS or GT?  Any other info you can relay would be much appreciated.  TIA!!!!

Old Faithful, Canyon, West Thumb and the entire south loop road in Yellowstone is a nice drive from Flagg Ranch. 

Jackson, Teton Village, Colter Bay, Jenny Lake and the Lodge are within an hour south of Flagg Ranch.

Phil

Visit the NPS websites for both parks - Yellowstone and Tetons, especially the sections titled "Plan Your Visit." You'll find all sorts of useful info there and can figure out what kind of things you want to do. Get the park paper - it usually has sections on what to do if you have an hour, a day, a week. Also, when you're in the park, check out what Ranger Programs are being offered. There are usually evening programs, hikes, patio talks, all kinds of things. Talk to the rangers and volunteers .... they live in the park and can point you in the right direction for whatever you're looking for, maybe even provide directions to their favorite secret fishing hole.

Enjoy
Wendy
San Onofre SB

Wendy has great advice.

We found the Tetons breathtaking and Yellowstone boring and over commercialized, except for the east exit to Cody.

Be sure to spend time in Jackson Hole.  Some say it is also over commercialized, but it is a real gem in the middle of a mountain "bowl".  Sharon and I believe it has the best Western Hoedown dinner show in the nation, run by a family.  Great price too.  Last time we went it was $18 for dinner and 2 hours of wonderful music and gut splitting humor.  Be sure to get there an hour early for a good seat, as people start lining up at the door.

Cody is not far from Yellowstone and has a Western museum that will take you 3 days to tour.  The firearms section alone is worth at least a day as is the Indian section.  Good campgrounds there plus an RV friendly Wal-Mart that is next to the 7 day a week rodeo.  If you go to the rodeo, be sure to walk to the other side of the arena from the entrance and get a seat right above the chutes.  Luckily a rodeo oldtimer volunteered this information to us and we were rewarded to a "show within a show".  It was fascinating to watch and listen to the cowgirls and cowboys assembled there, getting ready to ride their mount.  We could never have seen or heard this from the entrance side of the arena where most of the tourists end up because they choose to avoid a long walk over to the other side.  The long walk is also interesting because it takes you right along side of the holding areas for the bulls, calves, and broncos.

I even saw Wendy in there petting the broncos.  ;D

Smoky said:
I even saw Wendy in there petting the broncos.   ;D

Cody sounds great. And I love your tip about where to sit at the rodeo. But, Smoky, you don't "pet" a horse...it's not a dog, you know.

Wendy
San Onofre SB
lots of great dog places around here

Sharon and I believe it has the best Western Hoedown dinner show in the nation, run by a family.  Great price too.  Last time we went it was $18 for dinner and 2 hours of wonderful music and gut splitting humor.  Be sure to get there an hour early for a good seat, as people start lining up at the door.

That would be the at the Bar J Ranch Wranglers. Good food, great entertainment and reasonable prices. Highly recommended.

There is so much awesome scenery in both Yellowstone and GT that all you can do is keep driving around and stopping wherever the sight moves you to look in more detail.  I would drive all the roads in Yellowstone - the main park roads take you right to all the major sights. In the Tetons you have to get off the main north-south highway and look around a bit more to find things, but it isn't hard with a park map.

A couple of suggestions:

The Lamar Valley section (northeast portion)of Yellowstone is beautiful and fairly remote.  If you are into flyfishing the river that runs through the valley (can't remember the name at the moment) is a great fly fishing location.  This is also the area where the grizzlys are most prevelent.

The road going east out of Lamar Valley heads into Cooke City which is unique and quaint.  From there you can visit go up through Bear Tooth Highway, but don't take the a motorhome on that road; although I have seen some 40 footers in the first 2 campgrounds.

Then there is "Artist Point".  It's a beautiful gorge where there are brillant colors.  Even in the rain, it's very pretty.  Yellowstone is one of my favorite parks, I love the diversity and I love the interaction between humans and the animals.  When you see cars parked along the road, just pull over and look around.  Someone has spotted something!!!

Marsha~

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.  Looks like we're changing plans a little bit.  We really wanted to stay in the park at Fishing Bridge, but when I called for reservations they only had 3 days of the 7 that we'll be there available.  So, I called the next day and they had some cancellations and we were able to get 5 of the 7 days.  We just have to call back every day or so to check for cancellations and hopefully we'll be able to stay at Fishing Bridge all 7 days.  It will just make life a little easier, esp. w/ my 16 month old son going! 

Fishing Bridge is very tight and is restricted to hard sided campers; you are right on top of each other with very little space inbetween campsites. 

Madison campground has electric hookups and you can make reservations.  It is much more open and has larger campsites.  So if you have trouble getting all of your days at Fishing Bridge, you could try there.

Marsha~

Be aware fishing in Yellowstone is fly or lure only for the most part and that I think the biggest part of it dont even open to fishing till late july or early august.

Personally we wouldn't even consider staying at a campground within the park.  We recommend staying in Cody, or West Yellowstone.  West Yellowstone is a shorter drive to the park but Cody has more to offer such as the buffalo Bill museum and nightly rodeos.

Okie said:
Thanks to all of you for the feedback.  Looks like we're changing plans a little bit.  We really wanted to stay in the park at Fishing Bridge, but when I called for reservations they only had 3 days of the 7 that we'll be there available.  So, I called the next day and they had some cancellations and we were able to get 5 of the 7 days.  We just have to call back every day or so to check for cancellations and hopefully we'll be able to stay at Fishing Bridge all 7 days.  It will just make life a little easier, esp. w/ my 16 month old son going! 

Fishing Bridge is a good place to cover both the north and the south loop roads.  It is a very old park with narrow spaces but, it is in the right place if you want hookups in the park.

Gros Ventre Campground in The Tetons is lovely . . . I camped there in the August and had 6 bull moose in the campground for TWO days! Flagg Ranch is REALLY expensive - I would recommend that you stay IN the parks to really enjoy both. Yellowstone is AWESOME - be sure to see The Lemar Valley, The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, and stay at Mammoth Hot Springs - visit the town of Gardiner from there. Slough Creek outside of Tower Junction has some of the best fly fishing in the world. Most of the campgrounds do not have hook-ups, so you might need a generator - worth it!

Enjoy!

We found the Tetons breathtaking and Yellowstone boring and over commercialized, except for the east exit to Cody.

We actually found the opposite to be true.  We liked the Tetons and they were beautiful, but we found that we loved Yellowstone more than and there with much more to do there (for us).

We did drive into Jackson Hole for dinner one night, but we didn't go to the dinner show that was suggested.  That sounds like it would be fun.  It was pretty much just a town, really...like something you'd also see in Colorado, so it was sort of no big deal, but we went and now we can say we've been there.  They did have in the ski area a new thing that was going up that is probably finished now that is suppose to be the highest something or another (gondola?) that will take you up the side of a large mountain.  That would have been fun, had it been open, so if that interests you, you could check into that, too.

In Yellowstone...

We stayed at Fishing Bridge in our 39ft motorhome.  It was a little tight, but worked out great and we were glad to be in the park...a lot less driving, especially if you're trying to get to different places or are staying out looking at wildlife...or meeting a bus for a tour early in the morning...or going out early in the morning in your own car.  We just found the location to be convenient and we weren't spending a lot of time there, anyway...no picnic tables or fire rings because of bears, I guess.  You park your toad next to your MH/TT pad, so it's wide as opposed to long...and gives you a little more "forgiveness" room to back in...it can be narrow in some spots trying to back into a sight with a spot on the left and trees on the right, but we managed it just fine.  Very glad we stayed there.  There was a momma bear and cubs roaming around near there and some coyotes, so be careful of pets.  We were there last year in the first week of June, so it's a great time to see a lot of mommas and babies.  When will you be going?

You cannot fish off of Fishing Bridge...just fyi...but there's some great fly fishing there...as another poster mentioned.

We ended up taking a few of their bus tours, which I was really not that excited about but my husband wanted to (and with our two kids ages 12/14 I wasn't sure how that would turn out), but it actually turned out to be a great time.  We signed up at the Yellow Hotel near Fishing Bridge (can't remember the name, sorry) and we did the tour of Yellowstone and then the Ring one.  The full day tour of Yellowstone was nice because it gave an overview of the park and then you know what you want to go back to.  The other one was fine, but we did see some of the same things...but it did take us to a few places where they had the bubbling spots that flowed into the river and we might have missed it had we not gone.  On the full day Yellowstone tour you'll hit the "hot" spots like Old Faithful and some of the geysers, so it was really nice.  You could also get a list of where those tours go and that would be a good starting point for you to plan.  Also you can always go to those areas and "listen in" to what the tour guide is saying...they are full of neat information and you'll learn some really interesting facts that otherwise you might miss or not know you missed.

I agree with another poster that said to stop if you see some other people stopped and don't be afraid to ask what they see...just be polite and not yell so you don't scare anything off, if it's close.  We stopped at one point and watched a grizzly and her cubs for about an hour and all of a sudden she hauled down the mountain, the crowd split and they walked right behind our jeep! (my husband and kids were inside videoing and I was behind the car behind it snapping shots...it was scary and exciting and I got some great shots!)  It was awesome.  I also happened upon a coyote and cubs when noone else was around, saw moose, marmots, bald eagles, bison, prong horn, sheep, elk, deer...you name it...we saw it...and usually with babies.  It was sooooooooooo awesome.  Right down from Fishing Bridge is where we saw the coyote and where bear were spotted.  Be careful when driving, too...the animals may cross the road, so you don't want to go too fast and kill anything...which does happen quite often.  And the bison think they own the road because actually they do during the winter...so just be patient and enjoy them.  We only had one instance when we had to stop and wait and they had rangers on horses herding them through.  When we went, we didn't find the traffic to be bad at all, but we were also there early in the season.

We also did a photo tour, which was good, but I think you could just do the main Yellowstone one and have fun just driving yourself around the rest of the time.  It 'was' fun to go in the old yellow bus, though!  (they've brought these back...starting last year)

You definitely need to try to hit all the areas...Lamar valley is also a great place to see animals.  Depending on the area, you will see different animals...so be sure to ask...where do see the "X"?  Take a map and write it down so you'll remember, too.  That's why you'll want to hit all the roads, if possible...it's a lot of driving, but the different areas are so different in and of themselves and the animals may be different, too.  Some places are know for the wolves...some for the sheep...some for the bison and bear...you get the picture.

Also don't be shy to strike up conversation with folks...there are a lot of people there that come yearly and if you spot some people with really long camera lenses, they are a good source, too...and they have radios so they let each other know when things are spotted.  Moose are not seen as often since the fire (they've gone more north), so you'll want to really try to see one of those if someone mentions it.  Be sure and take a good set of binoculars (and tripod, if possible) and a good camera, if you're into that sort of thing...sometimes in the valleys, you'll be up high and the animals are quite a ways off.

Have fun and just remember that even though they look calm and harmless like cattle, the bison are actually very dangerous and have killed just as many people as bears.  Even though they don't look like it, they can run very fast (sprint) and leap a 6ft fence...so if there's one on a path, be careful...they can be mean...and you won't win that fight.  Some good advice that we were told about the bison...regarding their tail...if it's up and curved they could either "charge or discharge"...either way...you don't want to be close!

We also drove to Cody for the day and I have to say...although it was a long drive...the Buffalo Bill museum there was awesome.  There's no way you can see it in one day, though...but regardless, it's was really neat ?

HAVE FUN!!!!  Can you tell we did?  I just can't believe it's over...and I'd love to go back and would in a heartbeat.  Sorry for rambling, but hope my information will be helpful.   ;D

N8iveTexan said:
I agree with another poster that said to stop if you see some other people stopped and don't be afraid to ask what they see...

Please, please, please, if you do stop because other visitors are stopped, make sure that you are stopped LEGALLY. Do not just stop in the middle of the road. Major traffic jams occur in Yellowstone because idiots going in both directions stop in the middle of the road to jump out of their cars and take pictures. And never, ever, approach wildlife (or have your kids approach wildlife) even if there are idiots doing just that. Wildlife is, and is supposed to be, WILD.

Wendy
NPS wife
Silver Strand SB, Coronado, CA

IMO I think anyone who does not luv and enjoy the splendor and beauty of yellowstone has never really looked at it.  Commercialization I can agree with down in the Old Faithful area but once you get out of there, there is so much to see and enjoy.  I go to yellowstone every three or four years and we try to make it at different times of the year since everything changes colors including mud pots and geiser formations.  Wildlife can be seen one time of the year and not at others.  I will give an example last year we went to yellowstone twice once in july and once in aug.  In july you could not find a buffalo or a moose anywhere in the park and believe me we were there a week and traversed all the possible places we could by car and short walks.  In Aug you saw buffalo and moose all over the park.  In July I took many many photos of eagles.  We saw one eagle in aug.  Two years before that we were in yellowstone in Sept and saw grizzlys and black bear in abundance, last year very few black bear and no grizzlys.

I think that's what keeps people coming back...it's contantly changing and you see different things each time.  We can't wait to go back!

Having grown up in Wyoming and having visited Yellowstone on many many occasions I for one have found other places I would rather visit.  It is MHO that driving up the Chief Joseph highway to Beartooth highway over to Red Lodge MT and returning to Cody offers more scenic beauty and is more enjoyable than driving through Yellowstone.  But then that is just me.

Thanks again for all the info, esp N8ive Texan!!!!  There's going to be 4 of us and a toddler in our TT...that's why we wanted to stay in the Park.  It will just be easier and more convenient for us when we are there....plus w/ 5 people in the TT and being there for 7 days we need the full hookups.  Plus, we don't want to feel rushed...we don't want to have to wake up every day at 5:00 or 6:00 am b/c we have to hurry to get going to beat the crowd into YS.  Most of our time will probably be spent sight seeing and just enjoying the surroundings.  Please, if anyone has anymore info please share....I will probably print this off and take it w/ us on our trip!!!  Thanks again everyone....keep'em coming!!

Okie

Back
Top Bottom