Yellowstone/Grand Tetons - What to do/not to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron said:
Having grown up in Wyoming and having visited Yellowstone on many many occasions I for one have found other places I would rather visit.  It is MHO that driving up the Chief Joseph highway to Beartooth highway over to Red Lodge MT and returning to Cody offers more scenic beauty and is more enjoyable than driving through Yellowstone.  But then that is just me.

And a lot less traffic, especially when the Beartooth is closed.  ;D

Okie,

Be sure and try the ice cream in the park; especially "Moose Tracks".  It's the BEST.  You can find it at the concession area right near Fishing Bridge where you are planning to camp.  And then it's also in West Yellowstone just outside of the park.  There is also supposed to be a great pizza place in West Yellowstone, but I can't remember the name of it.

You are making me wish we were heading there!!

I know others are suggesting you stay in Cody or other places outside of the park; but it's a very long drive from Coty into the Park.  And, the park itself is large.  I think you'll be glad you are staying locally.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Okie,

Be sure and try the ice cream in the park; especially "Moose Tracks".  It's the BEST. 

The Brand is "Wilcoxson's" and is about the best you will find anywhere.  Harold, the owner is a real stickler for everything related to it!!  I worked there while going to the Unversity in Bozeman MANY years ago!!

Wendy -

The broncos I was referring to were the muscled type that wear helmets.  ;D

Gary - You are right on.  Bar J ranch was the place.  an absolutely incredible show and a fun range style dinner.  One of the best $18 per person values in the west!

James Godward said:
The Brand is "Wilcoxson's" and is about the best you will find anywhere.  Harold, the owner is a real stickler for everything related to it!!  I worked there while going to the Unversity in Bozeman MANY years ago!!

One doesn't have to go to Yellowstone to get Moose Tracks ice cream by Wilcoxson's,  We have it right here in Lewistown at the Bon Ton.

Here in Oregon Umpqua Dairy makes Duck Tracks and Beaver Tracks (Oregon and Oregon State team mascots).  The cartons are either green and gold or black and orange, reflecting the school colors.

Margi

A couple of people mentioned Cody and I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation. There was some good advice about the rodeo also - you should definitely sit on the far side.

All six of us (wife, four kids and me) preferred the Tetons to Yellowstone. Both were great, and I would visit either again, but if I had to pick only one to go back to again, it would be the Tetons.

In Yellowstone, we couldn't get into Fishing Bridge and so stayed at Bridge Bay which we found nice, but rather unremarkable. It was certainly convenient.

Touring Yellowstone by car you will enjoy hours of looking at the back end of the rental RV in front of you driving 10 MPH under the 35MPH speed limit with no place to pass.  And be prepared to stop every time the jerk sees a chipmunk or a deer next to the road, cause they will stop to looky loo right in middle of the road.  Its a bit early in the year but a do not miss is Beartooth Pass (Highway 212).

I agree don't miss Beartooth pass.  Go North from Cody 120 to Chief Joseph Hiway 296 to Beartooth hiway 212 to Red Lodge have lunch then return over same route to Cody.  Use your toad I do not recommend taking an RV over this route.  Very scenic both directions.  Could also visit Cooke City on the way back if time allows.

Ron said:
Having grown up in Wyoming and having visited Yellowstone on many many occasions I for one have found other places I would rather visit.  It is MHO that driving up the Chief Joseph highway to Beartooth highway over to Red Lodge MT and returning to Cody offers more scenic beauty and is more enjoyable than driving through Yellowstone.  But then that is just me.

Ron,

I viewed this thread to see if someone had mentioned Chief Joseph Highway and the BearTooth Pass. Should have known it would be you. ;D ;D Awesome drive!!!! Sure glad you and Sam were there with us or we might have missed it. One cannot find a more fabulous drive!

We enjoyed that drive with you and Pat and look forward to doing it again sometime. I don't recall if we took you over to Cooke City too.

Jim Dick said:
Wow, must take a week to see it now!!! ;D ;D ;D

They have the largest firearm display in the nation I am told and they have more that is not displayed than is.  I understand they rotate the firearms from time to time.  In any case it is a great museum to visit but plan more than just one day. :D

Really enjoy this thread.  DW and I are planning a triup to Yellowstone and Tetons in late June.  Have reservations at Fishing bridge and coulter bay.  This will be our second trip thgere. We were there 37 years ago with our 2 kids. 
Then we had only a week , now that we are retired we can stay as long as we like.
It is interesting to get input from RV's who have been there recently.

Tony

Ron said:
They have the largest firearm display in the nation I am told and they have more that is not displayed than is.  I understand they rotate the firearms from time to time.  In any case it is a great museum to visit but plan more than just one day. :D

Ron,

I still remember, and have a photo, the very early 1500's or so gun that looked like ti was just manufactured!!! That is the most impressive display of weapons I have ever seen!!

Jim Dick said:
Ron,

I still remember, and have a photo, the very early 1500's or so gun that looked like ti was just manufactured!!! That is the most impressive display of weapons I have ever seen!!

I agree it is very impressive.

Ron,

Can't find any photos of the museum. I'm thinking now that they didn't allow photography. I do have some from Bear Tooth Pass. At least I think the attached photo was there. :) I thought I had more photos from that trip but haven't found them.

Attachments

• Bear Tooth Pan (Large).jpg
    Bear Tooth Pan (Large).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 33
Jim,

I'm sure that Ron wil agree with me that it is of Beartooth pass.  VBG  I need to make the trip at least one more time before old age and my lungs won't let me.    I find it is getting tough at 10,00 feet anymore!  :-((

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom