Best Value for a Class A Diesel under $60K?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would suggest calling Coachmen and find out if they did make a diesel and if so what prompted them to quit making diesel.  Was it problems or just they didn't sell as expected??

Pack;
Well that coach you linked to is a 97 model with NO slideout. Trust me on this one, regardless of what you get, you want at least a slideout for the kitchen and living area. Monaco is a good company and make good coaches, but to find one in the 60K range with slide and diesel is gonna be a challenge. The coach I have is a Harney Renegade, an orphan, sold out factory to Monaco and is a 99 model. I have $75k in it initially and have added another $10k in amenities, tires etc. Now, I have a 99 model diesel pusher, Cat 330 engine with 50,000 miles in great shape with $85K in it. I really like it because I customized to my liking. They wanted $84.5 for this one, its a 97 and had twice the mileage as mine and I guarantee my coach is nicer than this one. Point is, look around and if you can find a good solid coach that has been well maintained at a decent price, buy it and then add the goodies you want. You should be able to find something around that $75 to $85 range that would work for you. (I assume you want diesel).

Im curious about this also.? I have zeroed in on a used Foretravel.? Cat 250 hp, 36', one on an Oskosh frame, the other on a Foretravel unibody.? Anyone have any comments on these units?? Thanks for your help.
[email protected]

yetchtoo said:
Im curious about this also.  I have zeroed in on a used Foretravel.  Cat 250 hp, 36', one on an Oskosh frame, the other on a Foretravel unibody.  Anyone have any comments on these units?  Thanks for your help.
[email protected]

Mike

I have no knowledge of the Foretravel but the Oshkosh chassis is the forerunner to today's Freightliner XC chassis and is a very good one.

yetchtoo said:
Im curious about this also.  I have zeroed in on a used Foretravel.  Cat 250 hp, 36', one on an Oskosh frame, the other on a Foretravel unibody.  Anyone have any comments on these units?  Thanks for your help.
[email protected]

Mike,

Check the bed. If you can lift it and see the engine you most likely will have dirt coming into the bedroom when underway. Also check the GVWR. If the coach is over 25,000lbs you will most likely be under powered.

Okay, I have looked quite a bit now and I am pretty discouraged what 60K will buy....  I am now looking at Gas, as 60K getsmuch more coach....  PLEASE STOP ME IF I AM MAKING A MISTAKE....  We will only drive 20-30K a year, two week long trips and a dozen trips to the race track....  I pull a 6,000lb trailer....  not very heavy....  What is the best GAS power plant....  the V-10 Triton?  Help!!!

Thanks!

Don't get discouraged too soon.  I talked to a guy in the campground in Cheyenne on our way back to Sam's Camp that had just bought a diesel pusher for $65K that looked real good from the outside. As I recall he said it had a 270 Cat in it.  He seemed very happy but this was their first trip since he got it.  There are some good buys out there you just have to keep looking.

Okay, it has been a while since I have posted, but I have gone and done a fair amount of Homework.  I feel like I am ready to buy, but I am still a bit nervous.  I have raised my budget in hopes that if I buy a higher quality coach, the resale will be better and thus a lower cost of ownership.

This is pretty much my dream coach, how is the deal on this for 109k?  Please, any suggestions will be apreciated....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=4576705068&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEBI:IT&rd=1

The 2002 Monaco Diplomat will be a nice coach, although I don't think it's a great deal at that price. You can check out prices of coaches you're looking at by going to the NADA web site.

Also, please check out the checklist(s) in our library for things to look at when evaluating a used RV. Click on the Library button above and then select Checklists. Don't buy it sight unseen.

Checkout the older Beaver and Country Coach rigs. The 1989 through 1993 models are going in this price range. I've seen several in with 40-65,000 miles on them for 65-85K in the last two years. Remember these were built on 1,000,000 Gelleg bus chassis, before the motorhome manufacturers started making their own (cheaper??) frames.  We have a 1991 Beaver that is one of the best built coaches on the road. All the wiring is marine grade with circut breakers. We've had ours for 10 years and have no desire to get rid of it.  For power, ours has a CAT 3176 electronic diesel engine that has 350 hp and it gets 8.5 mpg, don't even notice the Jeep Grand Cherokee we tow behind it.--No it's not for sale.

Chet18013

Is there a magic number as compared to NADA that seems right?  Is a good deal anything LESS than low Value, or should it be substantially less???

Well, the ad sure makes it an appealing unit...but that is the job of a well written ad.

The pics and  history suggest a creampuff.  Would the factory be willing to tell you of any correspondence with the owner that might suggest lemon problems?

I bought my first rig, a used 3.5 yr old Hawkins with no better data and used it happily for 4 years before getting a factory fresh coach that I continue to live in now.

The price looks reasonable. I suspect the reason it is on eBay is because this is apt to be a slow selling season for RVs in the sunbelt.

Good luck.

The price looks reasonable based on the iknfo in the listing.  They list the tires in good condition, but after 5 years I would replace them even if they do not look worn.  If it were me I would insist on a coach with IFS.  So be sure to test drive that one before you buy it.  I never found a coach I test drove without IFS that I was comfortable driving.  Even minor steering adjustments become tiring on a trip of 5 hours or more.

Just a quick note to THANK everyone on this forum for your valuable information......  After 9 months of searching, we finally purchased a fine used coach....  feel like we got a heck of a deal too!!

We purchased a 1997 Monaco Windsor, 275HP Cummins with Banks (350ish?) 51k, 7.5K Quiet Diesel Generator, pretty much loaded, Satelite, Washer/Dryer,BIG SLide, etc....    $59K...  We spent a few extra bucks to get a three year, (almost) bumper to bumper warranty.....  but took it on a 1500 mile trip, right off the bat and it purred the whole way and EVERYTHING works.....

Thanks again.....

PS: One last question...(right)  THis coach has a non-computer controlled diesel motor in it....  I was convinced that some like this better (more reliable??)  any comments??

Congratulations on the coach purchase. I'll let our experts discuss the relative merits of mechanical vs electronic diesels.

PS: One last question...(right)  THis coach has a non-computer controlled diesel motor in it....  I was convinced that some like this better (more reliable??)  any comments??

That's an easy question.  For us that have  the electronic controlled engine that is the best for us.  For those that have the mechanical that is the very best for them.  ;D ;D ;D  Bottom line is it works great either way.

Congratulations on the new coach. Sounds like a winner.

We now have an electronic 350 Cummins that averages around 7.5mpg. My mechanical 325 Cummins averaged 8.5!

Back
Top Bottom