Mountain Dew and Ham Radio!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Anyone seen the new Mountain Dew TV ad?

Has a great shot of a lady ham radio operator hamming in the middle of an electrical storm.  Don't recognize her rig though.

Sounds like a great way to have the equipment damaged if you don't get killed.  We have had a couple of Hams loose all the electrical stuff in their houses during storms but they were either not home or were NOT on the air when it happened.  Not a good idea at any rate.

Yes it is, but the commercial is part joke

They have several women doing stuff that is dangerous in an electrical storm and one male reporter asking them what they are doing, then he asks them something like "Isin't that dnagerous in a ligtening storm" whereupon he is promptly struck by lightening

And the audience is then informed that men are something like 9 times more likely to be struck by lightening

And if that is surprising then... On to the pitch for the product, whatever that is.

One thing about this commericial,,< As someone else said, several of those activities are counter indicated in a thunderstorm due to safety issues.

I do not care to support a product which permotes dangerious activities such as Hamming it up in a T-Storm (My rigs tend to be disconnected when that happens) or riding w/o a helmet or jumping off bridges or ... Well, it's a long, long list of stupid stuff.

Well I simply love that commercial.  It is just tongue and check and certainly also sends a second message that these things are dangerous.  You would have to be a total idiot to misuse that commercial.  So I thank Mountain Dew for a commercial as refreshing as their product!  ;D

I still wish I could figure out what that rig is.  One of the classics I am sure, or a fake rig.  BTW the clip stopped working for me today.

I agree with you Smoky,  But remember my office phone number, back when I had an office, was 9-1-1 so I know for a fact how stupid can people get.

Some stories in the news recently

Arsonist, well the high price of gas was cutting into his fun so he siphoned some from a car in front of his house......

Undercover police car that is.

12 year old decided to "Get famous" by robbing a police station..  Now this story has a good side, several of them in fact

1: nobody got hurt

2: Since he is a jubie they won't release his name so he won't, in fact, get famous

And the stupidest people of all:

Television and newspaper and radio news writers who *DO* release the name of people who do something just so they will "Get Famous"

Those folks need to be shot

summerwinds said:
Well, for once the writers didn't call the ham radio a CB radio !!

Is there a difference between the two?

THONK!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (That is the sound of YOU being struck by lightening Phil)

Yes, there is a big difference between CB and ham.

For one thing.. Hams pass a test before they get a license..(Though with some of them I do admit you kind of wonder)

Alaskansnowbirds said:
They both work on 27MHZ. They both can use sideband. They're both used to shot the bull. What's the difference?  ??? ??? ??? ???

CBers are professionals and Hams are Amateurs?

Alaskansnowbirds said:
They both work on 27MHZ. They both can use sideband. They're both used to shot the bull. What's the difference?  ??? ??? ??? ???

Your first assumption "They both work on 27 MHZ"  By law radios sold for Ham use do not TRANSMIT on 27 MHZ (Though many have either broken the law, two truck stop chains got busted last year, big fines and inventory destroyed) and Every piece of ham gear I've got or seen worked on a whole lot of other frequencies too,,,  I mean my TS-2000 has over 300 frequency memories, Yes, memory channel 19 is set to CB 19, Receive only (This is due to the location of the radio in the motor home) however memory channel 10, where it sits at the moment, is a long way from 27MHZ (3.935 IIRC) and it operates on things like 14.070 and 7.070 and  a whole bunch of others.

Plus, everybody I talk to has a license.. Usually, if I"m living in the motor home at the time (If I have internet active in the coach) By the time I finish the QSO (Conservation) I have verified their license, made out the QSL (Confirmation) card and logged the chat.  NO license for the Chaos Band

John In Detroit said:
Your first assumption "They both work on 27 MHZ"  By law radios sold for Ham use do not TRANSMIT on 27 MHZ (Though many have either broken the law, two truck stop chains got busted last year, big fines and inventory destroyed) and Every piece of ham gear I've got or seen worked on a whole lot of other frequencies too,,,  I mean my TS-2000 has over 300 frequency memories, Yes, memory channel 19 is set to CB 19, Receive only (This is due to the location of the radio in the motor home) however memory channel 10, where it sits at the moment, is a long way from 27MHZ (3.935 IIRC) and it operates on things like 14.070 and 7.070 and  a whole bunch of others.

Plus, everybody I talk to has a license.. Usually, if I"m living in the motor home at the time (If I have internet active in the coach) By the time I finish the QSO (Conservation) I have verified their license, made out the QSL (Confirmation) card and logged the chat.  NO license for the Chaos Band

Plus, CB is for business and professional use while ham radio is for hobbyists.

Don't forget that CB is useful for up to 10 miles only, while Ham radio is useful from the transmitting station to virtually any country on the planet, when conditions are right for the band selected. Hams even bounce signals of the moon, talk to the space station and so on..... Repeaters are prevalent on several bands to extend normally short range communications to hundreds of miles at times.

Comparison: Its like having a "little red wagon" vs. a super jetliner. ;)

What can I say, there is no comparison.

carson FL

carson said:
Don't forget that CB is useful for up to 10 miles only, while Ham radio is useful from the transmitting station to virtually any country on the planet, when conditions are right for the band selected. Hams even bounce signals of the moon, talk to the space station and so on..... Repeaters are prevalent on several bands to extend normally short range communications to hundreds of miles at times.

Comparison: Its like having a "little red wagon" vs. a super jetliner. ;)

What can I say, there is no comparison.

carson FL

Carson:

You mean Hams can shoot the bull across the country. ;D ;D

Across the country, or around the world, or even off planet, all possible and what's more in many places you can do it using a hand held radio (Thanks to repeaters and IRLP) I've sat in Las Vegas and chatted with hams in Australia  and  in Ireland, among other countries. USING A HAND HELD VHF/UHF RADIO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom