TireTalk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strikenmike

Let's talk tires.  I am quite sure that I will be buying a 3500 series truck with single rear wheels to carry a truck camper having a "dry weight" of about 3600 pounds. 

I want to install 19.5 inch wheels/tires.

I need input on tire brands, sizes, weight ratings, air pressures, customer service, etc.  If you have information on wheels, please share that also.

Thanks for the input.
Mike

Each tire maunfacturer provides the weight ratings for their tires.  Replacing tires with higher capacity tires will not increase the GVWR of the vehicle though.

I went with Goodyear Duratrac on my 2001 DRW 4x4 Dodge 3500. $1,700 installed. Low road noise, great traction, many are getting 90k on them. Filled them with nitrogen to keep inflation consistent at altitude. I also have Ride Rites inflatable air bags and overrides. My AF 1150 feels better now going down the road fully wet loaded. Bounces a bit more when dry.

I think you're smart to be considering the load before you buy the truck (lots of people don't).  My 3500 is pretty close to its max axle rating with my camper on it, and it's 3300 lbs fully loaded.  Virtually all the camper's weight is on that rear axle.  With 3600 lbs of dry weight, when it's loaded with all your gear and a tank of water, you have a good chance of getting in the mid-4000 lb range.  It's really worth considering duallies with that kind of load.  If that's absolutely not an option for you, you'll almost certainly be over your axle rating, but RNoll is right - air-bags will help with the handling.  I believe you'll be in the F or maybe even G class of tire for that load. 

When you're considering a specific truck, I suggest you weigh it for the rear axle load, then add the expected wet weight of the camper to that to see what you'll be dealing with.  I, myownbadself, am careful not to exceed tire ratings.  A blown tire at speed with a top-heavy camper can really ruin one's day.  I'd also suggest running at least the rear tires at max pressure for max load capacity.  If you have the loaded weight of the front axle, you can adjust the front tire pressure accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom