Too many thermostats!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel G

This will be a stupid question for you old time pros but I'm still learning the ropes about my 1996 Tropical.  There are three thermostats for the heat / air system.  I understand that each of the roof units has its own thermostat control but what is the function of the third controller.  It has no on/off switch, just a slide switch with temperature increments and is located directly beneath one of the other controls.  Is it directly hooked to the floor furnace and serving as a master switch for the other two?

I searched the owner's manual and can find no mention of this controller.

Thanks.

Daniel G

One for each roof unit if they have heat strips/heat pump
One for propane furnace
or
one for basement heat.

All shear speculation.

Daniel,

Could it be for a Fantastic Fan in a ceiling vent?

Daniel,

I think Tom is the winner. Many of the newer coaches are coming with a thermostat on the wall for a Fantastic Fan. Some are elaborate and have an auto and manual operation. Look at the ceiling and see if there is a Fantastic Fan there. If so, and it has a motor, then I'm pretty sure that is what is controlled by the thermostat. If you move it just a little to the right the fan should start to open.

Daniel G said:
This will be a stupid question for you old time pros but I'm still learning the ropes about my 1996 Tropical.  There are three thermostats for the heat / air system.  I understand that each of the roof units has its own thermostat control but what is the function of the third controller.  It has no on/off switch, just a slide switch with temperature increments and is located directly beneath one of the other controls.

Your description sounds exactly like my furnace control thermostat, next to my front A/C thermostat.  I have two A/C thermostats, one by the entry door (for the front A/C) and one in the rear bedroom (for the rear A/C).  The front A/C thermostat has a selector switch for "Gas Heat".  If that is selected, then the furnace thermostat is active and the heat level is selected using the temperature slider.  My furnace will then kick on after a few seconds, the fan first and then the flame ignites and the hot air starts blowing out.

I think Tom is right, but a picture of the thermostat might help us to better identify it exactly.

I'll further expose my rookie rv ignorance as I don't have clue what a Fantastic Fan is.  There is an electric driven fan located in the roof area near this controller but when you crank open the vent manually it begins to run.  It's also bi-directional and moves a lot of air.  Could also be thermostatically controlled with just a slider temp switch.

I'll try and take a picture and post it.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Daniel G

1996 Tropical

Daniel,

With the vent open and the fan running, try changing the setting on the thermostat to see if the fan stops.

Daniel G said:
I'll further expose my rookie rv ignorance as I don't have clue what a Fantastic Fan is.  There is an electric driven fan located in the roof area near this controller but when you crank open the vent manually it begins to run.  It's also bi-directional and moves a lot of air.  Could also be thermostatically controlled with just a slider temp switch.

I'll try and take a picture and post it.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Daniel G

1996 Tropical

Daniel,

That sounds like the Fantastic Fan. It should be so stated on the unit, I think on the blades. If they are a clear plastic it's Fantastic. If they are solid then it's a competitor. Most competitors are manual fans.

I forgot to mention that pulling down on the knob releases the automatic operation so you can manual crank up the vent. Pushing it up re-engages the motor. It's fairly difficult to move the cover when it's engaged for automatic operation.

Thanks, everyone!  You are right.  It is for the fan.  I thought the fan was broken because it wouldn't run all the time.  Just returned this evening from a weekend trip and this week the Oklahoma weather was perfect and the fan came in very handy.

Set up the RV at the Lake Elmer George Recreational Area (LETRA) which is located on the Fort Sill Army Base in the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge in SW OKlahoma.  This was our first trip there.  It is open to the general public.  A very nice, well maintained facility.  Great scenery.  Check it out!

Thanks again.

Daniel G

I thought the fan was broken because it wouldn't run all the time.

That's exactly what I thought with our fan, and why I pointed you to that prior discussion. See, it wasn't a "stupid question" after all. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom