Boise to Medford

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okiejoe

Whats the best route from salt lake to medford oregon pulling a 35 ft 5th wheel

okiejoe said:
Whats the best route from salt lake to medford oregon pulling a 35 ft 5th wheel

Are you looking to travel from Boise to Medford as the subject implys or from SLC to Medford as stated?

Probably the most direct route from Salt Lake City would be Interstate 80 to Reno, Highway 395 to Susanville, Highway 44 to Redding and Interstate 5 to Medford.

If you are coming from Boise, and if the weather is poor, Interstate 84 through the gorge to Portland and I-5 south would be safest.   A beautiful and direct route if snow and ice over the passes are not a threat  would be I-84 to Ontario, Highway 20 to Salem and I-5 to Medford.

If you're not in a hurry, and the weather is favorable, there are many alternate routes through that beautiful country.

Margi

Opps

What i mean is I will be leaving SLC to Boise then to Medford, What I have seen on the map is a route from boise on Hwy 20 to 395 south to 140 at Klamath falls then over to medford. Has anyone been that route and whould it be ok with a 35 ft 5th wheel.  I will be traveling near the end of july.
Thanks

We drove route 20 from Bend to Boise last August and other than a low pass just west of Boise it is rolling hills all the way to Bend. US 97 is fine down to 140, it is also an easy drive. I haven't driven 140 so can't comment.

For summer, I reccomend 20 to Bend, then south to the turnoff to crater lake. Crater lake is probably the high point and it is an easy climb. Go SW from there to Medford.

We do the Salt Lake City to Boise to Bend route at least once a year and have done it at all times of year. It's an easy drive with a few climbs (Swee****er? Drinking water?), some of it very scenic. South from Bend on Hwy 97 is also easy. But from there to Medford, I'm no help at all.

I know this is an old thread but it brings back some memories. I drove a heavy, underpowered truck from Klamath Falls to Boise and it was a looong day. That is one lonely road with little traffic. I could not get a state permit on a Saturday to buy diesel so was unable to fuel up in Burns. I stopped by the highway, filled my one fuel tank with Jet A aircraft fuel I was carrying, dumped a can of motor oil in to help lubricate the pump and carried on. Really have no desire to retrace that trip. ::)

Back
Top Bottom