I want a dishwasher!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bamagene

I have a '03 Mountain Aire 3778 and I am seriously thinking about adding a dishwasher to it. I've read about a Fisher-Paykel which is a bit expensive at $1200-$1600. I've also looked into the VESTA dishwasher that CW sells at $399 (Was on sale at one time for $320). I think it's called a 2-drawer unit. I think it fits in the space where the 2 top drawers under the stovetop are located. Can anyone give me a comparison of these 2 units-capacity and functionality? Also, has anyone with a Mountain Aire had the 2-drawer unit installed under the stovetop and does it fit there properly? I measured and it appeared to be a tad to high to fit there.
I've read about problems if one doesn't purchase a dishwasher with a feature that "sucks the dirty water out" in lieu of using "gravity". Does anyone know if either of the above units have that feature?
A 3rd option I have is buying a standard home-style dishwasher and having it installed in the space where a washer/dryer combo is designed to go. I even have it plumbed for the washer/dryer. Has anyone attempted to install a home-style dishwasher in their motorhome?

I was told that Bernie Dobrin had recently installed a dishwasher in his RV and maybe he had some good advice for me!
Thanks in advance!! :)

I am the one who tattled on Bernie.  ;D

Welcome to RVforum Bamagene and glad you made it over here.  This is my favorite of all the RV forums and you will meet some very nice and knowledgeable people here.  I am sure when Bernie sees this message he will share all the information on his and Marlene's dishwasher.

Smoky

Hi Bamagene

Yes, we had a D/W installed 3 years ago. Our coach came from the factory with a washer/dryer which my wife didn't want. She wanted a dishwasher, so when we bought the coach the deal was that the factory would replace the w/d with the d/w. We stopped by the factory a couple of months later and the factory pulled out the w/d and installed the d/w. The model is a Kenmore apartment d/w, fit nicely in the space and does a very nice job. Larger capacity than the Fischer/Peykel but uses a little more more, about 7 gallons per cycle.

We have a pair of Fisher & Peykel dishwashers in our kitchen at home and I would not recommend them to anyone. The two drawers can either be stacked to take up the space of a conventional dishwasher or, like we did, placed one each side of the sink. Unfortunately, their capacity is less than half of a regular dishwasher. Furthermore, their water-conservation technique means they don't really get the dishes clean unless we pre-wash the dishes.

It sounds like Bernie has the ideal dishwasher for an RV.

Thanks, Bernie! And thanks, Smokey too!
I was leaning toward the VESTA D/W that CW sells, but didn't really want to lose the 2 large drawers under the stovetop. Plus, I don't think it holds very many dishes! The area designed for a washer/dryer in my RV is not being used very often now, and it was plumbed for a washer/dryer combo. I even have the combo unit in my garage but I have never installed it b/c it really doesn't hold a lot of clothes. I'd rather just use the laundry at the RV park for clothes when I am gone long enough to need to wash clothes (which is not very often). So, I think the ideal situation is to buy a D/W similar to the one Bernie got and install it in the space where the washer/dryer was to go.
Bernie, can I ask a couple of questions on your unit? I read a thread not long ago about RVers who had installed a D/W that had a "gravity" pull and they had real problems getting the dirty water extracted. They strongly suggested getting one that "forces(or sucks) the dirty water out". I have no idea what that means! LOL Do you have any problem removing the dirty water? Also, could you give me the Brand & model # of your unit?
Thanks for the help! 

Howdy, Bamagene.

I have a '03 Mountain Aire 3778 and I am seriously thinking about adding a dishwasher to it.

I had a regular house-type dishwasher in my 1995 Serengeti. It was located under the kitchen counter and the brand was a Westinghouse-White. It worked very well.  I don't have a dishwasher in my present Bluebird Wanderlodge. And there are times that I wish that I did. The info about the so-so performance of the Fisher-Paykel is very interesting.

Regards,
Liz

Bamagene

You have the same feeling about the W/D as Marlene, too small, too long to do.

All the paperwork for the D/W is in the coach so I can't give you the model number, but it is a Kenmore (Sears) and we did see it on the floor at a Sears store back in 2002. If you ask for an apartment size model, a little smaller than the normal house D/Wers, you should be fine. Also check on water usage per load, ours uses 7 gallons. We've even used it when boondocking. The space in the coach plumbed for the W/D works fine for the D/W. The only issue we had was that the W/D was vented so we had to have the vent covered

It sounds like our D/W is a pump driven model and most of the water is out of the unit when it is thru.

While visiting a Best Buy store (www.bestbuy.com) I had to go somewhere that took me past a compac dishwasher, I think the price was under 300, (I think itwas 200)  wife says "not needed" I'm not so sure.  but it's worth checking out

Will it fit where thewasher/dryer is supposed to go in the MH... Don't know..but it's worth a check out

Thanks Bernie/John/Liz!!!
I'll check out Sears & Best Buy and see what the dimensions are and see if it will work in my W/D area. It's not something I just "have to have" in the next few weeks, but it is something I think would be used a lot, certainly moreso than the washer/dryer. And, I plan to get this "little convenience" sometime in the near future. Thanks for the help! ;D   

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom