Where to shop for neccesities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forestboy

Hi Guys

We're getting quite excited now, saw our son off on Friday, now we've started thinking about our first trip which is only a couple of weeks away now.

When we pick p the RV we will need to fit it out with EVERYTHING.
We will need the usual RV items e.g. sewerpipes, hose pipes, fittings, cables for hookups etc etc (will I need a macerator). I was going to get these items from Camping World.

Also BBQ, outdoor table & chairs.
Indoor
Cutlery, cups, plates, storage containers, bedding, kettle, toaster, saucepans infact the whole shooting match.
Where would be the best place to shop for these items? Don't want to spend a fortune happy with cheap n cheerfull.

Any advise appreciated plus advise on any vital items you think I have missed off the list

Thanks Tom
We checked out Walmart when we there in January looked ok.

I was wondering if I should join a club like "Passport America" to get site discounts.

I don't want to join too many as we'll only be there for a few months 6 max each year.

With a new rig the dealer often gives you a beginner kit which includes a fresh water hose, sewer hose, and maybe some samples of various products like tank chemicals. Ask before you buy those.

You don't need a macerator - RV parks are set up to simply dump tanks via gravity flow.

Walmart is a cheap source for many common items - they will have a small RV products section in the Automotive department. And I would not buy common household items like plates & utensils, bedding,small appliances, etc from Camping World. Again, Walmart, Target, K Mart, etc. mass merchandise stores are a less expensive alternative.

You can probably recoup the cost of a Passport America membership in just 3-4 campground stays. Many of us use them.

Passport America will pay for itself in just a few nights stay.  Highly recommended.

forestboy

Are you going to be in the states in July?  National FJR rally is in Colorado first part of July.  I am hoping to make it.

Hi Jim

Unfortunately no we have to return home 1st week June.
Our son will be home from Afghanistan as its half way through his tour 1 weeks leave.
Then we're off to Morocco in our UK RV for 2 months early August.
Probably be back USA end October early November I then need to decide where to overwinter

In talking about "stuff" you'll need, be sure to get the measurements of your bed.  RV beds seldom comply to "regular" bed measurements so you need specific measurements before buying your bed linens.  The measurements should include depth because manufacturers these days are making thicker beds.  I had to buy what are called "deep pocket" fitted sheets because the mattress is about 14 inches thick instead of the "old" nine inches.  You can't make the old sheets stay on a thick mattress.

Buy your regular household items at any of the big chains like Wal Mart, Target, K-Mart, or even outlet stores if one is nearby.  You don't want to spend a huge amount of money on pots and pans that will normally show more wear and tear than in a stick house.  A good investment that is inexpensive is foam dividers that you put between pots, pans, plates, or Corning dishes.  They prevent scratching.  You can get these dividers at Camping World.  I also have foam "sleeves" that I put on the few glass drinking glasses that we carry.  The sleeves prevent the glasses from rubbing against one another.  Most of us try to limit the amount of glass we carry because glass is more likely to break during the inevitable shifting that takes place in an RV.  Tastes vary, but we like Corelle tableware and Corning is good for the oven and/or microwave.  If you have a convection/microwave as many RVs now have, then the Corning cookware is especially good because it can be used with either the convection or microwave.  Metal baking pans can be used with convection but not microwave, so you need to know what you have for baking before making that choice.  I also have a propane oven and can use metal baking pans, but not all RVs have propane ovens.

Assuming you'll be near a Camping World when picking up your RV, I suggest going there and walking all the aisles to see what they have and maybe get some of the things that are unique to RVing.  But then go to another "regular" store to get the remainder of what you need.  If you can't find something, then you can go back to get your camping supplies.

By the way, we may have something here that is not common in the UK.  Our large grocery store chains often have value cards for their frequent shoppers that can save a lot of money.  When we go into an area that has a new-to-us grocery store, I start shopping while my husband goes to customer service and gets one of their cards.  The stores have items that might be, for example, half price to the holder of their frequent shopper cards.  Most of us who travel a lot have a whole stack of these customer cards from various parts of the country.  Years ago the cards were tied in with check cashing so you had to provide a lot of personal information to get the cards, but nowadays, they just hand them to you or ask for minimal information and you can use the card immediately.  They are well worth obtaining.  Also, if you have a Safeway card it's good at Von's or a Kroger card is good at Smith's because they're owned by the same corporate entity.

ArdraF

Good advice, as always Ardra.

more wear and tear than in a stick house.

"Bricks and mortar house" might be a more recognizable term for a Brit  ;D

Hi Guys

As usual great advice and very usefull thanks very much.

Will we be eligible for a store card being visitors.

Tom getting used to the lingo now recognised "stick" house straightn off

Yes, you should be able to get store value cards in most cases.  They often don't even ask for your name and address but just hand it to you.  Realistically, they probably don't care who you are as long as you shop and spend money in THEIR store!  ;)  By the way, not all grocery stores have value cards.  They say they keep prices low and don't need them.  But if you see signs with two prices, then they generally have cards.

ArdraF

...getting used to the lingo now recognised "stick" house straightn off

You've obviously been spending too much time reading  Winnebago Tony's stuff. Just 'cos he wears a western hat doesn't mean he's got the lingo down pat  ;D

Tom said:
You've obviously been spending too much time reading  Winnebago Tony's stuff. Just 'cos he wears a western hat doesn't mean he's got the lingo down pat  ;D

Not only does he wear a stetson you wanna see him dance. New years eve he did a solo in the middle of the pub  :D

New years eve he did a solo in the middle of the pub

Maybe I don't want to know.

Last night we were having dinner with some friends and, just as were about to leave, they started up the karaoke. I couldn't resist singing one of my namesake's songs. When I was done, the MC asked "are you Welsh?" Must have been the talking bit in the middle of The Green Green Grass of Home that gave away my accent  ;D

Maybe Tony and I could do a double act; Me signing and him dancing. Nah, I don't think so  :(

Yeah I know what you lot are like for singing I've been in The Stadium when 75'000 start singing Delila  :eek: :eek: fantastic

Walmart carries the essentials (camping section for sewer hose/fittings, white water hose, pressure regulator, wheel chocks, lynx leveling blocks), and you can also get your bedding, linens, dishes, cookware there too.

I've nothing against Camping World - - except I over spend....seeing all the neat gadgets (that I really don't need). 

I'm not a big fan of Camping World, but for someone like Ror who won't have an address in the U.S., they're a good source for Rhino hose, by far the best sewer hose. The el cheapo that dealers throw in and the regular one sold at Wal*Mart are likely to spring leaks if used on gravel.

That will make it easy for Ror if he finds the Rhino at WM. As for mail ordering, he won't have a mailing address.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom