Which Hybrid Camper For Us??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolverine18

Hi, I'm Jeremy, new member.

I'm just getting back into the RV scene with my immediate family.  We're currently shopping around for a small hybrid camper.  My wife and I have been tent campers for many years.  We now have to precious girls that we want to introduce to the camping World.  Some of my best memories are with my parents/grandparents in Maine.  I took my 3 year-old tenting last summer.  She had fun, but I spent most of the time, setting up and breaking down camp, not too mention throwing up tarps for the down pours.
        So, we're ready for the next step.  We have a toyota seinna to tow with, any suggest OTHER THAN the pop-up?

Looking forward to many suggestions
THANKS !  :)

Have fun!

Some members of my family have hybrid campers.  Two things you need watch are:  1) the capacity of your tow vehicle and 2) your expectations on what you need/want to take with you.  These well really drive your selection.  The first is obvious (to most people) but the second....  It is very easy to overload a hybrid (start adding clothing, toys, food, etc.) the manufactures do not "allow" much weight allowance for this stuff.  Then through in such stuff as a roof A/C unit, extra/bigger house battery, screen room, larger propane tank(s), etc. and the total weight can get out of control.  Just remember to try and consider all of these "extras" when spec'ing out your rig.  Think of the 'live in' weight.

Thanks for the suggestions, we're not giving up hope on the hybrid travel trailer.  Right now it's between the "Cub" 16 ft and the Jayco Ex-port 17C.  Both under weight, before the personal add ons, of course. 
Pros and Cons between the two?  Or, does it come down to a personal preference?

Thanks again

First you need to know your towing capacity.

Then within that range, view the various models - taking the time to lay on the beds, sit on the potty (some might have been made for midgets), fake a shower (did you hit the wall or bring down the shower curtain?), and of importance is faking the preparation of a meal - is there enough counter space?

You will need to determine the floor plan that will work for you and your family especially when cooped up inside during inclement weather.  Take into consideration the next 3-5 years, is your family to grow?  The amenities are pretty standard, but some models have features you might want to compare (such as heated/enclosed underbellies - good if you will be camping/traveling in freezing weather, or you plan to full-time in the future).  Some have outside kitchens which might be a plus if you prefer to cook/eat outside.  If your family may be growing, you might consider a 'bunkhouse model' (which if not filled with kids is a great storage area).

Consider attending an RV show to get the maximum of models in one location at one time.  Pick up the brochures and make notes as you view them.

Have fun!

wolverine18 said:
Thanks for the suggestions, we're not giving up hope on the hybrid travel trailer.  Right now it's between the "Cub" 16 ft and the Jayco Ex-port 17C.  Both under weight, before the personal add ons, of course. 
Pros and Cons between the two?  Or, does it come down to a personal preference?

Thanks again

I have a 1999 Aerolite Cub 16 and really like it.  It only has 700# cargo capactiy so the cautions about overloading are valid.  I have really enjoyed mine and don't have any problems with it. It's small but has all the comforts of home. it's easy to tow and usable when turtled up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom