Keeping chassis batteries charged up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, there is no way to do that.  I don't turn off the battery disconnect switch either.

Battery isolator, battery disconnect switch, whatever. You must not have any loads attached to your chassis batteries while parked. Not so with all coaches.

I do have a bi-directional isolator relay, but that's for the aux. start function.  This is in addition to the battery disconnect switch, which is not a relay.  Correct, I have no loads on the chassis batteries.  They connect directly to, and only to, the starter and alternator, unless the aux. start relay is closed.

Many differing systems abound, it appears.

My old W chassis battery will stay good for months. Only the steps are powered by it.
    The LP sensor is hooked up to the house batteries. I simply pull the fuse for that during storage.

The house batteries also stay up that way for a long time. I do turn off the 'house battery switch' every time I leave the RV.(on the dash).

FWIW,
carson FL 85F

Many differing systems abound, it appears.

Quite correct Carson.

Both our last two coaches have/had loads on the chassis battery when parked. In the prior coach I used to disconnect the ground wire from the battery to isolate the loads from it every time I parked it. I eventually installed a battery switch aka isolator. Our current coach came with one installed and I just have to remember to turn it off. I've also installed a switch/isolator on friends' coaches to solve the same problem. No two of the foregoing coaches were the same brand.

Similar story with boats we've had and some we still have.

So far the poll results show that Ned has the only motorhome that isn't configured to charge his chassis batteries from his inverter/charger.  Of course, this is from a total of only 7 samples.  ;D ;D

Carson and Tom, and anyone else reading this:  Please post a poll entry for your coach.  The format is in one of my posts above.  We need lots more entries to be able to draw any kind of conclusions from this poll.

1993      34' Itasca Suncruiser    Hart Freedom 1000      50 amp            NO*

I have a coach battery to chassis batteries jumper wire with a 25 amp inline gauge which I manually connect from coach to chassis batteries, if we are parked for extended periods. My alarm system is powered by the chassis battery and has enough of a power drain that it will knock my chassis battery down in about three weeks. I place a 3" x 5" index card on my instrument console to remind me to disconnect the jumper before starting the engine, since the jumper is only 10 guage and I don't want it paralleled in the charging circuit.

Richard

The LP sensor is hooked up to the house batteries.
I do turn off the 'house battery switch' every time I leave the RV.(on the dash).

So if the LP gas leak detector detects a leak while you're away from the RV, it won't shut off the LP gas.  You probably should either leave the 'house battery switch' on or insure the LP gas valve is turned off before leaving the RV. 

Carson and Tom, and anyone else reading this:  Please post a poll entry for your coach.

Rolf, we're currently afloat and away from the coach. My memory is failing me, and I can't post an accurate response until we get home and I get to the coach. I'll be taking it out of storage next week to get it ready for a trip, and I'll post my response then.

So if the LP gas leak detector detects a leak while you're away from the RV, it won't shut off the LP gas.  You probably should either leave the 'house battery switch' on or insure the LP gas valve is turned off before leaving the RV.
Some LP detectors are 'alarm only', and shutting off power to them simply means they won't alarm when a leak is detected. Other, like the one I have, controls the LP gas valve and fails in the OFF position. If you remove power, the valve closes. Not sure why you would install an 'alarm only' detector; who's it going to alert when you're away from the coach?

Not every RV has a propane shutoff, just like not every one has a charger for the chassis batteries.  Our Endeavor doesn't have a propane shutoff valve other than the manual shutoff on the tank.  If you're looking for standards or rules, you're not going to find them.  There is as much variety in design as there is in manufacturers and models.

I agree that any detector is better than none. I was thinking about the (non)advisability of disconnecting the power to it to prevent battery discharge, and if one were replace a defective unit, you might want to install a gas valve too. Guess I could have been more clear on that.

I forgot that some LP gas leak detectors don't shutoff the gas when they detect a leak (glad I don't have one of those). 

Not long ago, Shirley noticed that the fridge wasn't running on gas while we were driving down the road.  I told her to try resetting it a couple of times and if it still fails, just shut it off until we stop somewhere.  It wouldn't relight so she turned it off.  This happens sometimes when it's real windy.  We stopped for lunch sometime later and found we couldn't light the gas stove.  I went outside and found the LP gas tank gauge showing FULL and the main gas valve ON.  Then I remembered.  Earlier in the day before we drove off, the LP gas detector alarm had gone off while I was walking out the door.  I asked Shirley to reset it and it'll probably be OK because it did that just a day or two before.  I went outside for a minute to get the toad ready and when I came back in again, the alarm was off so I assumed all was OK.  What happened was that when she turned the LP gas leak detector OFF, she thought she was turning it ON.  When the alarm sounds, the switch stays in the ON position.  The darned thing is mounted on an inside wall real close to the floor, so you almost have to get down on your hands and knees to see the switch setting.  And then she forgot that it chirps for awhile when it comes on and then quits chirping.  Anyway, all I had to do was turn it on to get the fridge and gas stove to work again.  ;D

I was thinking about the (non)advisability of disconnecting the power to it to prevent battery discharge...

errr, what be wrong with that? When our coach is in storage, there's nobody close enough to hear any detector, so why does it matter  ???

Tom,
Some people said they would switch off power when leaving the coach. Unless you're in the boonies, there may be someone around who might hear it and take action. I don't think RVers are at the 'car alarm in the shopping center' ignore stage yet. In storage, sure - but I'm guessing you shut off your LP too. You do, don't you????

On coaches with the type propane detector that shuts the propane off when it alarms the same valve is off when power is removed just like when you turn the detector off.

1995  32' Winnebago Adventurer  PD9145    45 amp    No

LP detector is Alarm only. Tank valve closed when in storage. Lp det. ON when RV in use while traveling/camping.

Engine charges chassis and house batteries while driving. Also heats water tank while driving. Fridge ON (LP) while driving. Auto-Pilot ON while napping :)

carson

The darned thing is mounted on an inside wall real close to the floor, so you almost have to get down on your hands and knees to see the switch setting.
Yup, close to the floor is where it's supposed to be. As was mentioned in previous threads, many household cleaning products and aerosols will set the alarm off too. One time I spilled Scotch near it and that set it off. Got blisters on my knees and darn near wore out my tongue cleaning up the mess. :D

One time I spilled Scotch near it and that set it off. Got blisters on my knees and darn near wore out my tongue cleaning up the mess. Cheesy

LOL Karl, either that was some good scotch or else you already had too much before you spilled it!!

We never have determined what it was that set off our LP gas leak detector, but it has always run normally after being reset.  I think we've had 4-5 false alarms in the past year and not once in the prior year.  I wonder if there's anything to clean in there that might set it off if it gets dirty or something.  We do have a cat and she does shed hair, maybe that's a possible cause.  I guess I ought to read the manual.  :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom