Wireless network

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elkhartjim

Just bought new hp laptop with Vista.  It was working with my network printer ( not hard wired)for a while now when I print something the printer prints "Unsupported Personality: PCL".  Any advice? 

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver?

Vista's printer support is ... Marginal at best,  Many older printers are not supported at all (or at least not yet) They shipped Vista at least six months (More like  a year) before they should have and this is one of the areas where they needed to make serious improvements

PCL is "Printer Control Language"

Is that printer an HP?  Try the oldest HP driver VISTA has if it is.  Alas, a new printer may be the only other option or an upgrade to an older more stable operating system as the spin doctor says on the TV spot.

Are you using a Laserjet 1012 or similar? If so, a Google search will turn up LOTS of people having the same problem, but HP has yet to come out with a solution. One possible solution was to use the PCL5e driver instead of the newer PCL6 driver.

Are you getting the error from all programs when printing or just some, or just one?  What is the printer make and model?

Do as Jeff suggests, uninstall and reinstall the driver for that specific printer.  Do not try a driver for any other printer model as drivers are model specific, even for the same manufacturer, unless recommended by the manufacturer.  If it was working before, it should work again.

Another temporary fix was to power down the printer every so often, which clears out the buffer and supposedly lets it work again for another period of time before quiting again. A search of Microsoft Vista Hardware Compatibility HERE will show which devices are certified for Vista. The 1012 is not listed.

Karl said:
Another temporary fix was to power down the printer every so often, which clears out the buffer and supposedly lets it work again for another period of time before quiting again. A search of Microsoft Vista Hardware Compatibility HERE will show which devices are certified for Vista. The 1012 is not listed.

Karl

That link is not compatible with FireFox  :D :D :D

The link works for me on FF, and I didn't need to use IE Tab either.

Works here in a FF tab too. I wonder why it behaves differently for some folks  ???

"We apologize for the inconvenience"

You think they really mean that  ???  This is Microsoft up to their old tricks again, trying to squeeze everyone else off the browser scene.

Thks for all the advice.  It is a HP Laserjet 1012.  What makes no sense at all is it worked for a while and then not.  Damn Microsft.
I'll let uyou know how it come out.  Can't work on it till later.

Karl said:
Guys, the first page comes up in FF, but try going to the Hardware Compatibility List (fourth option).

Thanks Karl, that was where MS blocked me also, and I do use IE Tabs. Retried in IE and it worked OK.

Ya gotta love computers.  Turned the printer off and now it works...don't know for how long.  Double damn Microsoft.  Thanks for all the help.

elkhartjim said:
Ya gotta love computers.  Turned the printer off and now it works...don't know for how long.  Double damn Microsoft.  Thanks for all the help.

Jim

How do you get the printer to work when it is turned off ;D ;D ;D

Often, if Windows has lost track of the driver, toggling the printer power will cause Windows to sense the printer as new hardware and automatically reinstall the drivers.  This is a common technique to restore missing or non-performing hardware on Windows, typically USB devices like WiFi adapters.

Back
Top Bottom