2500 HD pickup capability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pontoonwilly

I sell Arctic Fox slide in campers and trucks--recently a cuastomer came in with a 2500 hD chevy pickup--he was going to buy a
Camper but found a sticker inside the glove box that states not recommended for slide in campers. Has anyone seen this before?
I know the truck is capable and the tie downs are available for that model--bit of a mystery. any help appreciated.

Pontoonwilly

Don't know about Chevy, but Ford requires a "camper package" which essentially increases front and rear GAWs  thru springs and adds a stabilizer bar at the rear. Not all trucks have this option...it must be ordered with the new truck. Perhaps Chevy has the same deal.

A 2500 doesn't have all that much rear axle GAWR and many current model truck campers would indeed overload it if there were any passengers and gear onboard as well as the camper. And as Bruce mentioned, the top-heavy weight also makes heavier sway bars just about a necessity.

So what did the camper weigh and what was the trucks payload rating and rear axle GAWR. Until you can compare those, you can't "know" anything about the trucks capability to carry the camper.

[edit]Fixed typos[/edit]

In this case, I would go directly to the horses mouth - Chevy - and ask why they placed that sticker there. Could have something to do with short wheelbase (sway), too much lightening of the front end for safe steering, etc. Only they know for sure.

Karl said:
In this case, I would go directly to the horses mouth - Chevy - and ask why they placed that sticker there. Could have something to do with short wheelbase (sway), too much lightening of the front end for safe steering, etc. Only they know for sure.

Excellent advice Karl.  I would also make the point of going to the manufacturer with VIN handy.  I wouldn't go to a dealer.

I have a gmc 2500 crew cab 4x4 and glove sticker says camper wt not to exceed 2112 lbs. My gawr rr is 6084 lbs. As I mentioned in an earlier post a salesman told me he though the low glove wt was due to the assumption that the crew cab would carry 5 passengers. He also said he saw a glove sticker on a dually that reccommended it not carry a slide in camper. Maybe this is a liability issue more that a structural one with the manufacturer. 

ste said:
I have a gmc 2500 crew cab 4x4 and glove sticker says camper wt not to exceed 2112 lbs. My gawr rr is 6084 lbs. As I mentioned in an earlier post a salesman told me he though the low glove wt was due to the assumption that the crew cab would carry 5 passengers. He also said he saw a glove sticker on a dually that reccommended it not carry a slide in camper. Maybe this is a liability issue more that a structural one with the manufacturer. 

BUT it maybe it is more a structural issue.  Best not to guess when your safety may be at stake.

A truck camper makes the entire rig extremely top heavy and the truck manufacturers have reduced camper load ratings in recent years to reflect that danger (and their liability if they rate it too high).  Your truck can carry more weight if it is bricks low in the bed rather than a tall camper body.  They also add anti-sway [stabilizer] bars as well as helper springs in a "camper package" to reduce body roll.

RV Roamer said:
A truck camper makes the entire rig extremely top heavy and the truck manufacturers have reduced camper load ratings in recent years to reflect that danger (and their liability if they rate it too high).  Your truck can carry more weight if it is bricks low in the bed rather than a tall camper body.  They also add anti-sway [stabilizer] bars as well as helper springs in a "camper package" to reduce body roll.

I know what Gary is saying to be generally true. It's surprising that insurance companies write such inexpensive riders to cover such expensive campers. I would appreciate knowing more about how the camper changes my total center of gravity vertically. Handling is of course dependent on other things but I've never seen one tipped over yet have felt that top heavy feel while driving plenty. Have any of you ever heard of one tipping over? We are probably older more cautious drivers as a rule - average age 49 and all.

Can't say that I've ever seen a report of one tipping over, certainly not in anything like routine highway driving. But a top heavy rig will dramatically affect the steering long before it tips over. And in fact you will automatically react in your steering input as you feel it start to lean heavily, let alone tip. That means you won't turn as sharply as you might in an emergency maneuver and who knows what effect that might have.

RV Roamer said:
Can't say that I've ever seen a report of one tipping over, certainly not in anything like routine highway driving. But a top heavy rig will dramatically affect the steering long before it tips over. And in fact you will automatically react in your steering input as you feel it start to lean heavily, let alone tip. That means you won't turn as sharply as you might in an emergency maneuver and who knows what effect that might have.

Hi All,

This is the best discussion about heavy camper suspension I've found anywhere on the web - we're lucky everyone here is rounding out the subject.

As for my situation, my 2000 Superduty F-250 has a factory rear stabilizer bar but no factory rear overload springs. So many posts advocate airbags but I'm feeling like some heavy duty Helwig overload springs are for me, because they may help some with the sway - more than airbags anyway. Thoughts, anyone?

My next question is, do you think upgrading to a heavier stabilizer bar would make a marked difference in feel? Some folks do both the added helper springs like Super Springs AND adjustable airbags, are the two cross canceling or mutually beneficial? Anyone been there done that?

Thanks all,
Bob

i have a dodge 2500 Hd 4x4 quad cab with an 8' bed ..hemi engine automatic trans and 410 rear and gvw of 8800#s and load range E tires .. truck weighs 6250 with me on the scale .... this is the best truck i ever owned ... it has carries my '96 starcraft roadcraft 8'slide in poptop ... i can NOT even tell when it is there .... my owners manual aslo says this truck is not designed for use with pickup campers ... i think in this case it is a lawyer thing ..... this camper has also been hauled with a '95 dodge 4x4 1500  360ci engine and load range E tires, that i installed air bags over the springs/axel, this was done more for sway control than load carrying ... the gvw for the slide in is about 1700 #s ... recently i bought a travel trailer, so it is time this spring for the pickup camper to change hands ... before you ask, i live near lancaster, pa

on the subject of chevy you also are not recemended to put a snow plow on any of there trucks but you can buy snow plows all day long for them and even have the dealer put them on for you BUT if anything happens to that truck parts fail because of snow plowing the warranty will not be honored! the same goes with overloading the truck beyond its capabilities. I cant count how many trucks all brands that I personally have had to weld frames back togeather because of cracks and such and even worse! just because it will bolt on or fit in your truck does not make it a tank.

I had this same discussion on this site a few years ago and it is always interesting.  I own a Travel Lite TC which weighs in at 1819 lbs wet.  I originally had this on a 1/2 ton extended cab pickup until I noticed that the rubber suspension bumpers were pressing on the axle.  I went to a 2500HD extended cab with the Duramax-gvw is 9200 and my glove box says that this truck should not carry any more than 1795 lbs!  With a notation to see the owner's manual (which I didn't do)!

Last summer we drove from Maine to Oregon taking a 7 week vacation and putting on 9100 miles.  We drove interstate, secondary highways, and dirt roads.  You could notice the weight on the truck, but never experienced any issues with cornering, swaying, or stopping.  The truck did not sag in the rear end either.  I am not an advocate of overloading a vehicle, but a 2500 HD will handle a ton with ease (I just picked up 2100 lbs of fertilizer with it this spring and drove over 150 miles to get home), even a camper which sits up high.  I do not have any suspension add-ons on this vehicle either. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom