Water heater problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fred

I recently installed a new Atwood propane/110v water heater. The 110 side works great, but I haven't been able to get the propane to light. (Turn the knob to pilot, stick a flame to it, won't light.)(The gas is tuned on.) What am I doing Wrong?

Fred said:
I recently installed a new Atwood propane/110v water heater. The 110 side works great, but I haven't been able to get the propane to light. (Turn the knob to pilot, stick a flame to it, won't light.)(The gas is tuned on.) What am I doing Wrong?

Good question.? Since I have done everything wrong at least twice, here is my experience:

1.? Air has gotten in the propane lines caused by shutdown during storage.? ?Solution:? Try to bleed off most of the air by lighting stove burners and then repeating the light cycle a dozen times or so at the water heater to bleed off the rest.

2.? ?I often forget to turn the temperature control lever of the water heater from off up to the operating temperature.? ?Solution:? Move the bloody lever over to operating temp.

3.? ?The propane valve has finally died of old age.? ?Solution:? Install a new valve assembly.? (This probably ain't your problem.)

4.? ?Somewhere in the fuss of installing something, a connection was made wrongly.? Solution:? ?Recheck the installation instruction with particular attention to the gas inlets and connections and trace your job back.

5.? ?You have somehow offended the Propane Fairy.? Go back into the trailer, pour out a small libation in her honor, go back to the cottonpicking heater, turn the knob over to pilot, hold it for a count of 50 and try, try again.? ?;D

Fred said:

Fred,

How long have you held the flame to the burner? Sometimes it takes a while for the gas to make it to the heater. I assume it's a manual light. Are you holding the control knob over on the pilot postion? There's a spring return and it must be held manually for any gas to flow.

Thank you for the input. I'm new at working on propane appliances. I expected it to light right away.
            Thanks again.

Not familiar with your partcular unit, but most with standing pilot lights have a red button you must press and HOLD DOWN while lighting the pilot; then keep holding it down for about a minute until the thermocouple gets hot. Are you doing that?

Hello Karl-

Yes I was doing that, but what I wasn't doing was not getting the thermocouple hot enough. I'll work on that again tomorrow, there is wind out there now. For what ever reason I expected to turn the knob (mine has a Knob in of a button) and apply the flame and instant ignition. But I know now that isn't the way it is.
Like I said I'll work on that in the morning. I will let you Know what happens. I'm sure you will still be there.

Fred said:
Thank you for the input. I'm new at working on propane appliances. I expected it to light right away.
            Thanks again.

Fred,

They seldom light right away. :) I've had some that took a couple of minutes before they'd try to start. Then I might have to relight them a couple of times before there was a good flow of propane. Let us know what happens.

IT WORKS
Many thanks to Karl, Jim & Carl to their good input. No more replies necessary.
Thanks to all.

Hi Fred,

Glad it to hear it works. Be sure to ask any other questions you might have. Also jump in on any discussions where you have an input. Hope you stick around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom