Importing to the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simsy

Hi there! l was wondering if anyone could tell me if l have to pay VAT on an RV bought in the US, and imported to the UK, as l am disabled, (leg amputee). Just thought someone may have come across this before. l get conflicting reports over here. One tax person informed me that l wouldn't pay VAT if the vehicle was adapted. But l am an amputee below knee, left side, and l really don't want any adaptations, l can function normally, with the exception of needing a seat in the shower. Thank You, Craig.

Maybe one of our UK-based members can answer your question. Meanwhile, you might find some interest in these articles in our library.

Hi Craig

Im not an expert on this - in fact I am just relaying info from HMRC website.

The key statements are :-

3.1 What is an eligible adapted motor vehicle?

It is any motor vehicle (such as a car, light van, multi-passenger vehicle (MPV) or motor home) that is:

designed, or substantially and permanently adapted for the carriage of a disabled wheelchair user ? see paragraphs 3.2 to 3.6;

and

has a carrying capacity of no more than 12 people ? see paragraph 3.7.

So, it does seem the vehicle must be adapted - sorry !

Here is the form - http://tinyurl.com/yvn55m

Of course, you could still go down the 12 month outside EU route and get VAT & Duty Free - see links on this website.

Paul

Paul,

Reading the definitions of 'Adapted', it seems to me that it wouldn't take much to comply. At the simplest end, add a (removablel) knob to the steering wheel, or add a couple of floor mounts to secure a wheelchair. There's no requirement for the handicapped person to be sitting in the wheelchair if so secured.

In the unlikely event that the vehicle has to be inspected, just be sure it's not one of those people with a tape measure at the DVLA in Swansea.

Edit: The photos attached to this message show how an easy chair was secured in one forum member's coach. Seems to me that a couple of similar clamps securing a wheelchair would satisfy the definition of 'adapted'.

The kicker might be the word 'substantially'.  Just adding clamps probably wouldn't do it.  Adding a wheel chair lift to the door probably would.

The next part of the weblink states:-

A motor vehicle is adapted for the carriage of a disabled wheelchair user if it is:

adapted to suit his specific needs; and the adaptation:

allows him to enter and travel in the vehicle whilst seated in the wheelchair or on the stretcher;
allows him to enter, travel in or leave the vehicle;
enables him to drive the vehicle; or
allows a wheelchair to be carried on or in the vehicle.

I guess that if Craig is registered disabled he can claim that he doesn't need any special adaptions to the vehicle but he does need to use a wheelchair from time to time.

The text states "allows a wheelchair to be carried on or in the vehicle". That perhaps could even be read as simply having space to store the wheelchair.

It must be worth an email or letter (NOT phone call) to HMRC. It could also be worth a follow-up email or two if they say no (as you know from my VAT/Duty Free chats with HMRC it is worth chasing).

The key is to get everything in writing so you have proof if/when you go for it.

Added: I just reread Craigs statement "l can function normally, with the exception of needing a seat in the shower". Perhaps choosing an RV with shower seat would also satisfy the "designed, or substantially and permanently adapted for the carriage of a disabled wheelchair user" part.

Paul

allows him to enter and travel in the vehicle whilst seated in the wheelchair or on the stretcher;

This one will be the decider.  Difficult to enter an RV in a wheelchair without a lift or crane of some sort.

Ned,

I didn't read it as saying that all those examples have to be met. Their exaplanation of a knob on the steering wheel sure sounds like they have a liberal definition.

It's understandable that someone who speaks Amlish wouldn't be able to correctly interpret English  ;D

Under that interpretation, any vehicle would qualify as they all can 'allows a wheelchair to be carried on or in the vehicle'.

It will come down to the inspector and how he feels that day.

Ned

The text reads ;

allows him to enter, travel in or leave the vehicle;
enables him to drive the vehicle; or
allows a wheelchair to be carried on or in the vehicle.

You dont need to meet all 4 clauses, just one of them as highlighted with or

In fact, the first condition is the easiest for Craig to meet - "allows him to enter, travel in or leave the vehicle" as it doesnt state how you have to do this.

Paul

As I said, any vehicle could meet those requirements in that case.  And it follows then that why are there any such requirements if they are so loose?  Something is missing here.

Well! what a response! Thanks you guys, l will start to get e-mail moving to the authorities, and see what transpires. This forum sure is a wealth of information, and like minded people. Many thanks to all, Craig.

Hi Craig
whilst at the 2006 Americana in Newark  i got talking to a RV owner that imported his RV tax free through the disabled clause.Now there was nothing wrong with him or his wife  but his mother- in- law was registered disabled and the RV  was in her name and she had never been inside it.He then went on to say that he was about to import a new RV while she was still in this world.Anyway i did notice a nice Southwind with full side slide at Lazydays boasting an extra wide entry door,would this count as being adapted.
just an idea
IAN

....an extra wide entry door,would this count as being adapted.

That would definitely appear to meet the spirit and intent of the restrictions Ian. If the coach ever got inspected, I'd take along a couple of planks as wheelchair ramps.

Thats food for thought Ian, l am sure there is a way round this. When l get to the importing stage, l am sure l will have all the info to do it without throwing away thousands of pounds in tax. Craig.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom