6.7 Cummins MPG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goat1966

I just ordered a 2008 Dodge 3500, 6.7 Cummins, AT, SLT, Megacab, 4x4, 3.73's. I was wanting to know what kind of MPG to expect not towing? Also I have a 30ft TT weighing close to 9000 loaded, if anyone with a similar truck is pulling close to this I would like to know the MPG towing also? Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Brian

From first hand experience, I own a 2007 6.7 Cummins and I'm getting about 13.7.
Disclaimer: I only have about 6K miles on it, and most 85% is starting and driving it 5 miles to work and back. Also the 13.7 is the readout on the overhead computer, hand calculated I'm averaging about 10% less. So around 12.4.

I have only towed a considerable load (1969 Chevy 3/4ton on a car hauler) once and I got about 12.5. Again, disclaimer, I was only able to travel about 60-65 MPH due to the snowy conditions.

I'm probably not the best person to ask, but thought I would throw my 2 cents in. That being said, mileage is the ONLY thing I don't absolutely love about the truck. The 6spd auto is great, and the exhaust brake is incredible. I usually run around town with the exhaust brake on and in tow haul, just so it doesn't shift so much, and to save on brakes. Okay, I have to admit the exhaust brake gives me a little testosterone rush as well, it's pretty cool.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. The way I looked at it, I bought it to tow, not as a commuter, so I knew the MPG wouldn't be there.

And to think just a few years ago a Dodge with the 5.9L Cummins got 21+ mpg.  Better than most any car and all SUVs. Now its a real dog on fuel. Where did it go wrong????
I hear the new Ford diesels are also fuel hogs. What a shame...

It's all the emissions junk they have to put on now.  So we clean the air, but now clean out the oil reserves.  Good trade-off???

I'm not sad to see the smelly old diesels gone, but there has to be some balance in this.

The bigger diesels are not taking such a severe hit in mpg from the new emissions controls - the technology must favor larger displacement engines. On the other hand, the Europeans are building very clean and highly efficient small diesels. Passenger car size, not large enough for hauling big RVs around, though.

I have to believe also that the emission additions caused the break down in the MPG as well.  I'm sure as we get more technology improvements out, someone will design a chip that will increase the gas mileage. I know there are already a few chips out there, but I'm waiting for them to perfect it, since I'm in no hurry to void my warranty.

However, I have to say, as a previous owner of a 99 5.9 cummins, I was only getting an average of 16. Some were getting better than had performance chips, but I know the people I know that had the 5.9 were only averaging 16 - 17 mpg. So hopefully someone will come out with some proven technology that will increase the MPG. I don't need more horsepower, but a few more turns of the tires per tank would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom