Convection Ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newt & Jan

Hi, my husband (Newt) and I are in the process of moving stuff from the house into our Raptor fifth wheel and sorting out what to keep or get. I'm the cook in the family and need some help in experiences (good and bad) and suggestions regarding convection ovens. We will be living full time in the Raptor, once we put our house on the market, so this is for full-time living and not only vacationing.

The Raptor currently has a cooking top and an LP oven along with a wee, little installed microwave. My decision is whether to get a counter top microwave or pay the extra for the convection oven. I have done lots of research on the internet and convection ovens seem to get a pretty bad rap, be rather small  and be a tad pricey.

Can you help me out, please? Thanks.

Jan

Why not buy a combination microwave/convection oven?

Jan,
In my expperience in the past 5 years of serious RV'ing, it depends on where you are going to stay and type of hookups, available. For a long period of dry camping that LP stove comes in very handy!! ( though lighting the pilot light on that, is literally a pain in the neck!!!!) Other than that; I prefer my Micro/Convection. It bakes like a dream and when you get the hang of using it, it is quite easy to operate. We are not full-timers, but we live in our Motorhome for up to 4 months during the summer. We are Snowbirds "in reverse" - trying to escape the hot desert heat. In the end you have to make up your own mind. Good luck with that!!!

Mariekie

We have the microwave/convection oven and it works well.  All my pans fit in it just fine, I too did not think they would fit.  It cooks faster so it took a little getting used to reducing the heat lowering the time or both.  After a year I dont have a problem cooking anything.

Like you, we are seriously looking at a toaster oven, with convection capabilities.  We don't have the convection on the micro, but I've used them before and was not impressed.  We do have a conventional/convection oven at home, and toggle back and forth.  We do little baking, but like to use convection to jump start fish, chicken, fries etc.  Thought the little toaster oven would be just right size for DW & me

We have a combo micro/convection on the coach, and our cook hasn't complained about it being too small. Maybe if we had a bunch of folks over for dinner, she might think otherwise. If we had a bunch of folks over, I'd leave and find the nearest bar.

We're not home and not in the coach, so I don't know which model ours is right now.

Mine is a Sharp and works just sharp - No pun intended!!! The secret is to READ the instructions and follow it. Yes, I know it is quite time consuming in the beginning, but evetually you will get the hang of it.

Mariekie

We have a built-in GE  Spacemaker convection/micro - our second one of that brand and type. It is not small and in fact can hold a slightly larger roast than the gas oven we just removed from our coach. Works great. In fact, it cooks more evenly and more consistently than the typical RV gas oven, which are notorious for hot spots and uneven cooking.

But if you are talking about one of the small countertop units, I can understand your hesitation. Is there any way to replace the little micro with a good combination unit?

We hadn't looked into replacing the little micro with a combination unit but that may be our solution. Thanks for the heads up on the gas oven. Sounds like my world and methods of cooking will be needing some altering.

I've used the little LP oven in our old camper and didn't like it at all.  It would not heat evenly and burned the bottom of things cooking....there wasn't enough room for anything to cook.  Even trying to cook a pizza was a pain.

When we got the coach, it came with a Sharp microwave/convection oven.  It took a bit of time learning how to use it; but I love it.  So much so that when I replaced our oven and microwave units in our old house before we moved, I got a oven/convection combination and a microwave/convection.  I've done the same combination with our new house being built.  One of the things I like the most is I can cook two items at once because you use stacking racks.  And, because it's convection, both items cook evenly and brown beautifully.  Roast come out juicier; baked items are great.

You might want to give a combination microwave/convection oven some thought.  If you decide to go that route, you might want to attend FMCA Convention or Rally.  They offer microwave/convection cooking classes and provide a great deal of information.

Marsha~

DW loves our microwave/convection oven and rarely uses the LP oven.

If you decide to replace the existing built in microwave, a word of caution:
I have replaced two microwaves with convection types, one in my last motor home and one in my present unit.
I would highly recommend getting the "build-in kit" for whatever brand microwave/convection you get.
In convection mode, convection micros get much hotter than the standard ones.  When it was first installed, the temp behind mine got up to 200 degrees F after 45 minutes in convection mode.
I did not get the build-in kit for my first installation and went through a lot of hassle getting the temp behind the unit down to a reasonable level. I ended up adding a grill above the microwave and an exhaust fan blowing air through the side of the motor home. This involved a lot of work and cutting through the side of the motor home.

The second time I got the kit and the job was much easier. There was additional sheet metal in the kit that formed ducts to move air in from the front and back out the front. It also came with decorative grills that make the installation look like it came from the factory with the unit already in place.
Note that there are some minimum clearances in back and on the sides that must be met. You should make sure the convection micro you buy is small enough to allow for the proper clearances.

The one I installed in my present motor home is a Sharp Carousel Grill 2 Convection R-820-BK (the BK stands for black, I think WT will denote a white one).
The dimensions are 20.5(w) X 12.1(h) X 19.7(d).

It was a little too deep but we (DW really) got a little creative and figured out how to trim the sheet metal on the build-in ducts so they fit behind the supplied grills. Also had to move a junction box on the back wall behind the microwave a few inches over.
It looks like a factory installation.

seems like all the postings are about a micro/convection, has anyone tried or use the toaster oven/convection option?

I have a GE Advantium, and I Love it.  I've baked cakes, cookies, and pies.  Grilled hot dogs for dinner today.  Takes a bit of learning, but they work great.  I have also used the toaster oven/convection oven in my last 2 rigs.  Used one for about 10 years. Mine were D'Longhsi.  You need a good quality oven for them to work well.  They run about $80.00.  I have never used one on an inverter.

Hope this helps

Newt & Jan,

I have a Sharp Household Microwave Oven Model R-1870.  At least that is what is on the oven wall plate on the inside.  Do you need any further info?

Barb,

I think I got the GE Advantium for the new house.    Does the GE have a setting for grilling hot dogs?  BTW, where are you guys?  I too, had a D'Longhis toaster oven when we had the house.  I never seemed to use it.  For some reason if I had to bake things, I used the microwave/oven combo.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom