Convection Ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Marsha. We've gone through all responses and continued to do additional research (thank you Google) and have just ordered a SHARP R930AK 900 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Convection Microwave Oven. It looks to have everything we need and then some. I have a few months before we move into the Raptor full time so will be using it in the house to familiarize myself with the features.

The microwave only, that came installed in our Raptor, is small and there just weren't any practical ovens that would fit in that area and we can't see any other logical place to have one mounted.

Thanks to everyone for your time and help.

Marsha,

In both of our 5'ers we had just a micro.  In our last 5'er our micro was not useable unless we put our the slide.  So for I used my toaster/convection for cooking when we overnited.

I use the speedcook setting for grilling on the advantium.  Place the metal plate in upside down. Set on HI, HI.  Dogs split and brown just like on the grill.  I've done steaks, hot dogs, brats, and burgers. 

Barb

Newt,

I think you'll be happier with your newly-ordered Sharp microwave-convection combination.  By all means, attend some rallies so you can go to some of the Sharp seminars.  Also, if you want to do a lot of boondocking, I recommend keeping your propane oven.  I use mine a lot.  Sometimes I use it, the range burners, and the Sharp simultaneously if I'm cooking a variety of dishes.  Personally, I wouldn't want to depend on just the Sharp and range top, but I know others who do and who are perfectly happy.  We probably cook differently and that makes a difference.  I don't use a lot of frozen and prepared foods because of food allergies, therefore I cook things that other people undoubtedly buy prepared.  I've tried using just the range top and microwave-convection for multiple dishes and trying to get them all done at the same time can be quite a balancing act.  Or, maybe I'm just not coordinated enough!  :eek:

ArdraF

Like Ardra, Sam uses both the microwave/convection oven, including the convection feature, as well as the propane oven.  She also would not want to be without either.

We have no use for a propane oven. Don't have one in our current coach, although we had an unused one in our prior coach. The only use it got was when a momma mouse made a nest on the middle shelf while the coach was in storage. I don't allow propane appliances down below in our boat, so no propane stove there either. We haven't yet gone hungry.

Karl, I can put the food in front of him, but I can't make him eat it.  I think he'll be skinny forever!  ;)

ArdraF

hlfx cdn:

Getting in late in the conversation, but we bought a combo toaster oven/convection/broiler for the house and love it.  (Black & Decker brand).  Decided the regular stove oven too big for small items to be efficient.  I'm finding I'm using the smaller unit much more than I thought I would and love it, expecially the broiler.  Convection comes on automatically with the bake cycle, has pre-heat and you can set timing options, and then goes off automatically when time is up.  Also has several pre-settings for various cooking areas.  I'm finding it works much better than did the early version of the micro/convection we once owned, and which I hated.

We also carry an electric oven/broiler combo in the mh along with the regular gas stove top and oven.  I did not want the micro/convection oven, because of my bad experience with the other.  I find this smaller oven useful for the small items, and when we have good power.  It is fairly large, and we store it under the bed and only drag it out when we need to.  Have had it since before 1994, and it is still going strong.  However, if and when it does die, I'll replace it with the Black & Decker toaster/ convection oven/broiler combo, like we bought for the house.

I also conquered the uneven heat in the gas oven in the mh by using an airbake cookie sheet on the bottom of the oven to more evenly distribute the heat.  I don't have any more problems that way.  Others use baking tiles, bricks, etc.
Daisy

I too use a combo Electric Convection over/toaster when camping on occasion, Prefer it since ...Well  I pay by the day for electricity no matter if I use it or not. (part of the CG fee) I pay for Propane by the gallon

Ardra,
I can put the food in front of him, but I can't make him eat it.  I think he'll be skinny forever!
Jerry is always in constant motion, so it's no wonder the peas won't stay on his knife! Jim Johnson and I had a discussion of the relative merits of driving in your coach with you driving or with Jerry driving. I said "With Ardra? No problem. With Jerry? No way! He'd have a camera in one hand, his shaver in the other, and drive with his knees!"

What I was really going to say is that I just bought a counter-top convection oven to reflow solder circuit boards, and can't wait to try it.  They tell me it will also cook food! Who woulda thunk?? :) It'll do two 12" pizzas at one time. No fancy electronic timer (modified sine wave inverter), and no rotisserie - chips would slide off the board  ::). I thought about how many times I would do a rotisserie chicken, and that came up to just slightly more than zero. 

Daisy, thanks for the heads up on the oven. I thought it was just going to end up a totally wasted amount of space.

I'm happy to report that I have successfully baked a couple cakes in my new convection oven and made some nice crispy fries. This weekend it's check out the broiling on some inch-thick pork chops we got at Sam's club. Also have used the sensor reheat a lot and love that feature.

Jerry is always in constant motion, so it's no wonder the peas won't stay on his knife! Jim Johnson and I had a discussion of the relative merits of driving in your coach with you driving or with Jerry driving. I said "With Ardra? No problem. With Jerry? No way! He'd have a camera in one hand, his shaver in the other, and drive with his knees!"

Karl, thanks for a great laugh.  We both love the image you conjured up.

ArdraF

I'm trying to bake some pie crusts to make lemon, chocolate, and coconut cream pie.  I'm a scratch baker............but I learning to cut corners, and bought some pilsbury just roll out and bake crusts.  I use fork and stab the bottom several times.  I've reduced the temp, and cooking time.  But they look more like a taco salad  shell.  I've had no luck with graham cracker crusts.  They seem to melt in the oven when the meringue is browning.  I'd give up and just make a cherry pie, but somebodys favorite pie.  No I'm not gonna just go buy one.  I'm gonna learn to do it right.  I hope.

I just checked with the baker in the family and She says to prick the crust all over, about 1/2" apart on the bottom and sides!! 
Another thing is to put anothr pie tin inside the crust while baking.

On the GC crust, you might try pre-baking it before pouring in the filler.  I have done that, but then I am a man!

I've been baking pies for 45 years.  I did prick all round the top and sides.  I'm gonna try another with an additional pie tin.  If that doesn't work, I'm gonna assemble the pie, and hope the crusts bakes ok, while the meringue is browning.

I'll let you know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom