Yellow ceiling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtjennin

The ceiling in my class A motor home has yellowed in some places. How is the best way to clean the ceiling?

Hard to say. If the material has simply yellowed with age, it may not be cleanable because the yellow is a chemical change in the dye. If the color is something that got on it, like cigarette smoke or cooking fumes, then maybe something can be done.

What sort of ceiling material is it? Kind of fuzzy, like a short nap carpet? Vinyl/leatherette? 

Is there a place where you can experiment, e.g. an area of ceiling that is inside a cupboard or closet? You need a place to make a trial run with various cleaning agents.

Some folks have had good results with those new stain remover (bleach) pens seen in tv commercials. But if the area is larger, you need something more than a felt tip dispenser.

Is it carpet? I got a recipe at a cleaning seminar at FMCA for whitening your carpet ceiling but haven't tried it yet (we have a water stain on ours). Seminar presenter swore it worked.

Wendy
El Cajon, CA

You said yellowing in spots.  That indicates it may be leaking, especially if it is the fuzzy type ceiling.  You can clean that with a solution of 50-percent bleach and 50-percent water.  Don't wet it down much.  Spray it on and dab it off, don't rub.  You could also dab it on rather than spraying.

Check your roof area for leaks and reseal all the joints.

DO NOT use bleach unless you've tried it in an inconspicuous place. You could end up with a '60's tie-dyed ceiling. I contacted Fleetwood a few years ago, and they recommended regular carpet cleaning solution for my 'carpeted' ceiling. I use it in a Bissell(sp?) Little Green Machine and it works well and won't damage the adhesive. For other (vinyl) ceilings, there are any number of vinyl upholstery cleaners that should do the job. 

I have heard some folks have had success using Resolve carpet cleaner however we have used Dri Wash N Guard fabric and carpet cleaner with good results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom