Should I be concerned with RV width

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texas Pines

While investigating the purchase of a motor home, we noticed the fine print on one model stated, "These models are designed at widths greater than 96 inches. You should be advised that some states limit the width on some state and local roads to 96 inches. Please check the regulations of those states you are planning on visiting."

Do states actually enforce the regulations that vehicle widths can not be over 96 inches? The model considered is 5 inches wider than the "limit".

Thanks.

Texas Pines
Magnolia, TX

I stand to be corrected, but muy understanding is 102 inches is the legal width.  Until several years ago it was 96 inches, but perhaps there are some local road restrictions, though I have never come across any.

There are weight restrictions in effect on some roads and bridges, and height restrictions for some underpasses.  These can be learned by buying a trucker's atlas at any truck stop.

What year/model of motorhome were you looking at?

Texas Pines said:
While investigating the purchase of a motor home, we noticed the fine print on one model stated, "These models are designed at widths greater than 96 inches. You should be advised that some states limit the width on some state and local roads to 96 inches. Please check the regulations of those states you are planning on visiting."

Do states actually enforce the regulations that vehicle widths can not be over 96 inches? The model considered is 5 inches wider than the "limit".

To quote the California Vehicle Code:

35100.? (a) The total outside width of any vehicle or its load shall
not exceed 102 inches, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

? ?(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, safety devices
which the Secretary of Transportation determines to be necessary for
the safe and efficient operation of motor vehicles shall not be
included in the calculation of width as specified in subdivision (a).

? ?(c) Any city or county may, by ordinance, prohibit a combination
of vehicles of a total width in excess of 96 inches upon highways
under its jurisdiction.? The ordinance shall not be effective until
appropriate signs are erected indicating the streets affected.

My guess is, given the Feds pushing of the Uniform Vehicle Code, most states are similar, but that is no guarantee.

Many thanks to both Steve and Carl who responded to my beginners questons. After their feedback, I reviewed the legal width limits in various states and, yes, the new width is 102 inches. Which only means the manufacturer probably hasn't updated their sales literature for awhile. I guess I'll be able to get through all the tunnels in Zion National Park!?

Thanks again to both.

Texas Pines
Magnolia, TX

Steve is correct  102 inches.  8 1/2 feet.

I know towing boats is watched VERY closely.  Any boat wider than 8.5 feet requires a special tow license in EACH state.

Somehow I doubt many state police are on the watch for wide motrhomes.  I know for a fact they watch towed boats very closely.  I wonder if there are any current day MHs wider than 102?  I bet not.

The 102" in inclusive of everything except safety devices (like mirrors).  However, nearly every RV has awnings or other attachments that increase the actual width to >102", making all of us illegal everywhere.  Fortunately, the law isn't strictly enforced.

Ned said:
The 102" in inclusive of everything except safety devices (like mirrors).? However, nearly every RV has awnings or other attachments that increase the actual width to >102", making all of us illegal everywhere.? Fortunately, the law isn't strictly enforced.

Ned, you should really start retracting your awnings before starting out.

From what I am told you should have no problems in the US, but if you leave the country (IE: Canada or Mexico) you may be denied entry with an "over width" rig

One thing to consider... that extera half foot makes a BIG difference when you are driving

I don't know about Mexico, but there's no problem anywhere in Canada with a 102" rig!  That's what all the trractor trailers are too.

Carl,

Good one on Ned ;D, now if you can just get him to crank down the 6' WI-FI antenna.....

John in Detroit: I have a 102" and find it no more difficult to 'stay between the lines' than any other vehicle. Took me about 200 miles to get completely comfortable driving it with no previous experience driving anything larger than a 20' U-Haul.

I do agree, the more I drive it (I think I have just about 200 miles on it now) the more comfortable I am getting with it.  The first couple of trips were interesting however as I actually had to re-learn how to drive since I tend to hang to the right side of the lane (most drivers hang left)

Karl,

It wasn't me that removed the bat wing antenna unintentionally :)

reply to Texas Pines

"I guess I'll be able to get through all the tunnels in Zion National Park!?"

Now that is another story!
I have heard that rules have changed. Big rigs still need to pay a fee to pass through, but now also must detach the towed car and have someone else drive it separately.

Ouch, Ned. Got me on that one!

I've found that from my favorite driving position, if I line up one particular screw on the windshield moulding with the center line, I'll be smack in the middle of the lane. Some people place a small colored adhesive dot on the windshield to do the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom