Roof Air Vibration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rollie

Just tried my back roof airconditioner and it has a vibration.  More so when the fan is in the high position.  This makes me think I have a fan that is out of balance.  Since this is the first time this has happened I am wondering if I have had a wasp build a nest on one of the fan blades.  Has anyone out there had this experience?  Any other thoughts on what could cause this?  If I get on the roof and take off the cowling will I be able to get to the fan?
An ideas?
Rollie

Rollie,

It's unlikely that wasps are your problem because the evaporator and blower are sealed (or should be) from the outside, and should be accessable from the interior of the MH. Could be something else on or in the squirrel cage or a bad motor bearing. If you don't find anything wrong there, check the compressor mounting grommets (they get hard with age), mounting gasket (also gets hard), and the condenser fan and motor on the roof. Also make sure all mounting bolts/screws are tightened properly, but not too tight that they overly compress the grommets and seals. Good luck! :)                           

I thought that that would be the answer on the fan ... but since it has happened all of a sudden I was trying to think what could have happened so quickly.? ???? Thanks for your response.
Rollie

I don't think I have ever seen an rooftop a/c fan that was accessible from the inside of an RV.  Pull the shroud off the exterior and see what you can see.  All kinds of things have been known to nest in there - birds, mice, etc.

Give it a good visual inspection both inside and outside (remove covers as needed)

YOu may find something,  A nest is possible, even a broken fan is possible

I had that for a while,, temp repaird by breaking it even more.... Perm fixed with a replacement fan

Even better fix..... Sold the trailer (Bought a MH) Now I can have twice tOhe fun (2 ac units)

Oh the joy... Today's job..... Installing the Pressure Pro sensors on the towed (Successful)
and temp installing the 2mtr ham rig (also successful far as I know but can't full test till later due to lack of a jumper cable)

Tomorrow it's get patch cable, test, hit road for hamboree

Gary,

When he said he had a vibration on the high setting and not the low, that led me to believe the problem was in the evaporator blower; not the condenser fan which runs at a constant speed regardless of high or low setting. On my Coleman units, the air circulating blower is indeed accessable from the inside by removing the shroud, and the whole lower unit can be removed by removing 4 bolts which secure it to the upper unit, which would give access to the blower motor itself.

Back
Top Bottom