We too wish to buy in the USA and import

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maryjane00

Hello, we are new members to this site and are going to be buying an R.V later this year. We have recently being looking at American Sales sites and have been going through the messages on here about taxes and import duties to the U.K - confusing or what? So, is there any way of avoiding paying duty other than living in the U.S for 12 months?
I noticed something about the Montana option. Are there companies that will 'hold' a vehicle for 12 months, I'm looking for advice on 'loop-holes' here  ;D
I do have a house in Spain, if that is of any help.
At the end of the day, what are the realistic savings of buying in the U.S compared to the U.K? We will have about $100,000.00 to spend in total and want something that will last us through to our retirement.
Any advice would be gratefully received!

Anne-Marie & Si

Anne-Marie,

Take a look at some of the articles in the Visitors to the USA area of our library.

Are there companies that will 'hold' a vehicle for 12 months...

I don't know about that, but you might be able to find a storage place to rent for 12 months.

Hi Anne-Marie

Firstly, the references you see on here to VAT Free or Duty Free relate to legal ways of avoiding these taxes. It isn't complicated once you understand the basics.

You MUST be out of the EU for 12 months (and have owned the items for 6 months) to qualify for Transfer of Residence Relief (ie saving those taxes).

Just by having the vehicle stored outside the EU for a year wouldnt qualify. HMRC require proof that YOU have been "out" for 12 months.

I would seriously reconsider any "dodgy" ways of avoiding these taxes - if you are found you will have to pay the taxes and are likely to be fined etc too.

It is not all bad news though...........

You can buy and import a great RV for $100,000 (?50,000) - whether it will last thru retirement depends somewhat on how old you are now (if you're in your 30's then forget it  ;D).

Paul

Paul,

Good catch on the requirement for the owner to be outside the UK for 12 months. I missed that one.

Annie-Marie have fun doing your research on buying an RV in the States and shipping it back to the UK  ;D

We are in the final stages of doing just that & the advice that has been given from this forum has been fantastic  ;D

Loads of people have done it as you will read if you look back through the forum pages plus the library has loads of info & is very useful.

We hope to return in 5 years or so to buy another RV, but this time tour America & Canada & stay outside the EU for long enough to get VAT/TAX exemption  ;)

Good Luck & have fun,

Andy

Back
Top Bottom