Generator advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawkfan57

I'm starting to price out some generator options for my TT.  Obviously the Honda eu3000is would be the best for noise, but I don't know if I can afford $1700 before July when I'll need it for the first time.  I'll be in a campgrounds with LOTS of tent campers so I need to keep it as quiet as possible.  Has anyone used one of these?

At 68db, it seems pretty quiet for that type, but I'm skeptical that it'll be alot louder than that.  If there's any other "quieter" options out there that don't cost $1700+, please let me know. 

Oh and I'll need ~3000 watts as I'll need to run the AC with this.  Thanks.
[edit]Fixed link[/edit]

Several people do use Champion generators.. I have heard one horror story, (just one)  However I very strongly suspect that Champion makes more than one kind of generator.  The one linked to appears to be a'Contractor's model, not all that quite

You might check out Yahama, you get a few more watts, a db or two less, and a lower price tag than Honda.

68 dB is NOT quiet. The Honda EU3000IS at 58dB at full rated output, is half as loud. It would be bad enough amongst class A or C rigs, but tent campers and PUP's might just pay you a visit with a potato for your exhaust. Of course no well-mannered camper would do that. ::)

You want the inverter type generator if at all possible.  The inverter is quiet in and of itself (its electronic rather than mechanical) and it allows the engine to run at lower RPMs at anything less than full load. That makes a huge difference. Non-inverter generators must maintain fixed RPMs regardless of load (to keep the proper voltage and frequency), so they always sound like they are running flat out (they are).

There is also a qualitative difference in the sound between cheap models and the better units. Cheap ones throw off a lot of harsh vibration sounds while better models simply drone and tend to fade into the background after a few minutes.

Some people have been satisfied with the less expensive Kipor brand of inverter-type generators.
Kipor 3000

I didn't realize the difference in the inverter types.  Looks like I'll be stuck with a fairly pricey one.  Maybe Honda offers financing.  ;D

The alternative is to get a cheap one at Home Depot (etc) and consider it a throwaway. Replace it when you can afford it. You might get $100 back when you unload it.

RV Roamer said:
The alternative is to get a cheap one at Home Depot (etc) and consider it a throwaway. Replace it when you can afford it. You might get $100 back when you unload it.
If I do that, I'll get run out of the campgrounds! 

I use a Honda Eu3000i/s and it is VERY quite...... In economical mode one can hardly hear at 30 ft, if at all....
Worth the money..... at least for me.

I think I mentioned Yahama.. IN 2007 at QZ I stopped by the Yahama booth (IF I ever buy another portable that's gonna be it)

They had two of them running, no load, I could hear (just) one over the noise of the crowd but I have very "Good" hearing in this regard (Years of practice pulling voice out of noise, if I know what to listen for, and it's there,I'll hear it)  The other one the only way to be sure was to stick a hand in the exhaust flow a few inches from the exhaust port. 

He plugged in the load board,  at half load we did not have to raise our voice,  At full load we did have to speak up.. Slightly

Below is a link to the place I got my Yahama. It has enough juice to run my heater or my A/C, 15,000 BTU. Depending on the age of the unit and model this may or may not be enough juice for you. I don't typically camp where I need the generator since most campgrounds that are dry camping are small and have twisty narrow roads which don't go well with 36 foot of 5'er.

lWise Sales

Nelson

Hawkfan,
Just for your info., generator noise level is generally measure at 21 feet(7 meters approx.) at full load. Some manufacturers will measure at a greater distance thus reducing the measured noise level, or will measure it at something less than full load. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. ;)

Nelson posted a good price on the Yamaha EF2400iS and I see they are saying it can surge as high as 3000 watts, which should handle your start-up load peak. If you have a single 13,500 btu air it should be fine. Might be marginal with some 15k units (some 15k units  draw 15-16 amps, while others are around 13).

RV Roamer said:
Nelson posted a good price on the Yamaha EF2400iS and I see they are saying it can surge as high as 3000 watts, which should handle your start-up load peak. If you have a single 13,500 btu air it should be fine. Might be marginal with some 15k units (some 15k units  draw 15-16 amps, while others are around 13).
This is the one I'm leaning towards now for a few reasons.  1. its only 70lbs and my wife should be able to lift that out of our jeep and start it on her own.  I'll be gone on really long bike rides a lot so she may need to get the generator running on her own.  2. its only $1200 compared to the $1700 of the Honda eu3000is.  3. 2400 watts with surge to 3000, should be plenty since all I really want to run is the AC or charge my cell phone and laptop with it.

I have a friend at the Yamaha dealership in town and I'm hoping I can get him to cut me a deal.  Thanks for all of the advice guys, it's much appreciated.

Rumor has it that the slightly lower priced Yahama is also slightly better built too, (Longer life) just so you kinow.

Alas, the source was a salesman so you know to take that with the proper size crystal of sodium chloride :)

I own a yamaha 2400, it is super quiet, my neighbors all love it. It also has more than enough power to run a/c on high.

pghcmper said:
I own a yamaha 2400, it is super quiet, my neighbors all love it. It also has more than enough power to run a/c on high.

Do you have the 15k or 13.5k AC unit?  Dometic, Coleman?  Just wondering, since my trailer will have a 15k Dometic DuoTherm and I am eyeing that EF2400is generator also.

Thanks
Gary

It also has more than enough power to run a/c on high.
Just as a point of information, The high/low settings of an a/c unit merely change the blower speed. The compressor gets full power when it's called for on either setting. The blower, on "Low" will use somewhat less electricity than when on "High", but doesn't really enter into the equation when figuring out how large of a generator to get. Go strictly by the listed ampere rating, and add 50% for the starting load; which only lasts a few seconds.

my generator is a 13500 unit, i do not know if the yamaha will run a 15000 unit, but i purchased a meter that tells if you are pulling too much power, and there is allways plenty of green left.

if anyone is interested this seems to be the best place to purchase.

http://www.wisesales.com/YamahaEF2400iS.html

I bought a big Husqvarna chainsaw from these guys in the past. Good price on that Yamaha generator, and free shipping:

http://www.wisesales.com/YamahaEF2400iS.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom