Weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleopatrani

Does anyone know of a good website that provides temperatures for the whole of the US?  Im trying to plan the next part of our trip according to the weather, and as a non US resident, I am not sure of which states have which temps, so Im looking for a site thats helps.

Thanks
Hazel

Thanks everyone.  We have now changed our intended route due to the weather. We were supposed to be entering Colorado in about one weeks time, but its far too cold for that yet, so we are going to head west into Arizona and California and then head East and North to the colder parts in a months time. Hopefully they will have warmed slightly.

Hazel,

Be sure to keep us informed of your itinerary. There are more Framily members on your intended (or revised) route.

Ok well so far the plan is this...

we are currently at Fort Davis, texas
In two days we are moving to a site near the Carlsbad Caverns for 3 nights.  Then on to the white sands national park area, both in New mexico. 
From there we are going down to El Paso for a night or two on our way to Saguaro National Park area in Arizona.
Then onto  Organ Pipe Cactus National Park in Arizona for a few days. 
From there we are heading up to the Grand Canyon (stopping somewhere in between probably).  We will spend a few days there before going to Death Valley on the NEvada side, and then on the California side.  From that point of California we havent planned any further although we will be going on from there - this is all dependant on cruise america letting us return the RV in either Utah or Colorado, instead of California.  steve has to phone them this afternoon to find out. 

Thats it for now :)
Hazel

Thanks Hazel. Looking forward to hearing the outcome.

cleopatrani said:
Thanks everyone.  We have now changed our intended route due to the weather. We were supposed to be entering Colorado in about one weeks time, but its far too cold for that yet, so we are going to head west into Arizona and California and then head East and North to the colder parts in a months time. Hopefully they will have warmed slightly.

Be careful about one thing.  You are heading into the mountain and plateaus of the Southwest.  In Arizona altitude is everything in weather.  It can be freezing in Flagstaff AZ and warm in Phoenix.    Flagstaff is on the 7000 foot Colorado Plateau, Phoenix is in the 1100 foot Salt River Valley.  The air is quite dry so that daytime temps can vary 30-40 degrees F easily.    Be sure that the weather report is from the area of Arizona that you are interested in. 

The same applies to the other states of the Southwest, including Southern California.  I live in West LA, my sister in North Hollywood about 12 miles away.  There plenty of days when my backyard registers 70F and the temps at North Hollywood are in the 90s. 

Similar thing in northern California. Lots of British friends and relatives have thought we were joking when I'd tell them to wear sweaters or jackets to go to San Francisco, 70-100 miles away (depending on which house we were living in at the time). There can be 30-40 degrees F difference between here and San Francisco, and SF can be shrouded in fog while it's sunny everywhere else.

Hazel

At Saguaro, make sure to make a trip to Karchner Caverns. There is a campground there which gives you entry to the park and priority for walk in tickets to tour the caverns. Very unique. Between Saguaro and Organ Pipe, make a stop at Kit Peak Observatory and then Sells to visit the Indian reservation where the baskets on sale at Kit Peak are made. Stay in Ajo, AZ which gives you good access to Organ Pipe, Agua Prieta Wildlife Refuge and Ajo. If you stop in the Phoenix area, Cotton Lane RV Park is the usual choice of Forumites and it is only a couple of miles from our house. Let us know if you will be staying there, and if in town, we'd be happy to get together.

Hazel,

Bernie and Marlene are very gracious hosts and have a gorgeous house in a very nice area. Be sure to take them up on their offer if you're in or passing through the Phoenix area. They have an impressive club house on site where they'd probably take you to dinner.

You can't take the RV into their residential area, but we stayed at Cotton Lane, just a few miles away. A nice RV park.

There can be 30-40 degrees F difference between here and San Francisco, and SF can be shrouded in fog while it's sunny everywhere else.

As an example, one August after an enjoyable day on the boat in the California Delta we hopped in the car to have dinner in San Fransisco 70 miles away.  When we got in the car it was 108 degrees (not the car but the outside temperature).  When we stepped out of the car in San Fransisco (t-shirts and shorts) it was a breezy 50 degrees.

Robert,

I recall you and I making the trip between the bay and Stockton and back to shuffle cars. Getting out of the car in Stockton was definitely thermal shock, big time.

Hazel

A correction of the first sentence, should be "On the way to Saguaro, make sure to stop at Karchner Caverns"

cleopatrani said:
Ok well so far the plan is this...
... From there we are going down to El Paso for a night or two on our way to Saguaro National Park area in Arizona...

One night in El Paso was one night too many for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom