axle change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willjm3931

Has anyone ever changed their axle to a heavier axle?  What kind of problems could I run into?  I want to go from a 2500 to 3500 lb. axle.  My current axle is bent.  Is there an easy way to find out the specs. on my axle.  The tag says Hayes 3  109  97.  I figure the 97 is the year of manufacturing.

I am not trying to change the GVWR, I am trying to change an axle.  Every place I check goes from 2000 - 3500 lb. axles.  I can't go lighter, so I have to go heavier.

Changing trailer axles is a pretty routine thing - RV dealers and spring shops do it all the time. However, a heavier axle may or may not have the same distance between the spring shackles as the original so make sure you are getting one with the same physical measurements. Generally speaking, with in a model or class of axle, they simply increase the spring capacity to increase the weight, i.e. either a stiffer spring or more leafs in the stack of spring, but at some point they shift to a larger (wider or longer) spring.

Hayes Axle has a web site and you can contact them for help in identifying what you have and what is available, but I would guess that most spring manufacturers have models that will fit. Have you checked with a local spring/suspension shop?

[edit]Changed spelling - KK[/edit]

No, I haven't check with a local shop yet.  I am doing the foot work on the net and catalogs.  I am the typical DIY'er. ;D
I figured since it was only a few dollars more to go to the heavier axle that it would be worthwhile.  So my axle may be the same specs. as a 2000lb. axle but different springs?
One thing that I was wondering about.  Is the bolt pattern the same for different size brakes?  If I have 8 " and the 3500lb call for 10" and my brakes bolt up, can I use my brakes?  I am not trying to stop 3500lbs just the 2500 that the brakes were designed for.

John

Well, Hayes couldn't help me out.  They said there wasn't enough info. on the tag.  I guess I will get an axle and see what happens.   

Go to the Dexter Axle website and click on the link to their "Resource Library."  You will find enough axle tech information there for several days of reading.  A 3500 pound axle will have larger spindles than a 2500.  You can order a 3500 with the same overall length and spring spacing as your 2500, with or without brakes, with the bolt pattern of your choice, and it should bolt right in.  On the other hand, have you considered straightening the axle you have? 

Dexter Link

-

One thing that I was wondering about.  Is the bolt pattern the same for different size brakes?  If I have 8 " and the 3500lb call for 10" and my brakes bolt up, can I use my brakes?  I am not trying to stop 3500lbs just the 2500 that the brakes were designed for.

I'm pretty sure the larger brakes need larger hubs and therefore larger wheels & tires.  I would strongly advise larger brakes - trailer brakes are marginal at best, so oversizing is goodness as far as real world stopping ability is concerned.

If you want to keep the same brakes, tires and wheels, a "helper spring" would seem the best solution. Maybe one of THESE would work?

Back
Top Bottom