just began full time RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prairie

Greetings... my first question is what do they call full-time RVers? We are located in western washington state and hope to actually be on the road either this winter, or springtime. For now, learning about how to organize items in this motorhome, which is 32ft!  ... PrairieDan

Fulltime RVers, or fulltimers for short.? However, unless they're RVers, many people won't understand :)

There are many issues to consider as a fulltimer which we can explore in this discussion.

One of these is that you carry a comprehensive medical history along with your most recent diagnostic tests.? ?Ask your dentist for your last X rays and have a copy of your eyeglass prescriptions plus your prescriptions for medications.? All this will come in handy if you need medical help on the road.

Next, keep all this in an Emergency Bag? next to the main entry/exit door of your coach so that if your coach is on fire or other emergency, you can grab it and run.

Your emergency bag should also contain a twenty dollar bill, a credit card, a cell phone and your address book containing important phone numbers like your insurance agent.? Also copies or originals of all your important documents like driver's license and vehicle insurance.? You may want to add a few days of prescription drugs and update these regularly since they have expiry dates.

My emergency bag also contains the installation disks for all my software plus a copy of regular backups of my data.

You may have other thoughts about must have items in your emergency bag.

We have seen all too many cases of motorhomes destroyed by fire or accident where the owners were left high and dry without money, clothing transportation and no means of contacting people who could help.

Our lifestyle is second to none, bu there are some basic precautions that need to be taken

Preparing for this contingency can save a lot of anxiety...in a situation that will, hopefully? never happen to you.

Have a look at this posting, along with the attached photo to better understand my point

Install a fire retarding safe in your coach for your valuables, your important papers like your wills and living wills

Because we are traveling from one place to another, and not always familiar with our surroundings, we also need to be alert against today's threat of identity theft.

My comments are not intended to be a portrait of doom and gloom, but on the contrary to inform you of strategies and means to protect yourself against some of the common situations that face fulltime RV travelers.?

It's better to be prepared and to avoid problems than to be unprepared and find yourself a victim of circumstance.
[edit]spelling[/edit]

Hi Prairie!

My wife and I just this month began fulltiming also!

I can feel what you are going through.  I am amazed at the depth and complexity of the lifestyle changes.  In fact today I just posted an inquiry on RV finance management because I am working my way through how to deal with billing and payment when I am in a different town each week.  This is just one of literally hundreds of issues we have worked our way through.  Steve has already mentioned some biggies.

Mail forwarding is another area.  I am going to use escapees for now, and tie that in with paperless statements from payees, electronic banking, and a key relative.  I also now have two completely separate banks.  I added one to my new official domicile and kept the one (both are national in scope) at my old domicile.  Why?  Too many times over the last ten years a bank site went down or had problems.  I was able to get around the issue because I was not full timing.  Often a trip to the branch squared things.  Now I want redundancy.  So I have one bank company in Montana and a second bank company in Maryland.  Both are national and could care less where I live, both have paperless statements, bill pay, and superb Internet banking.  One has me well covered out west and the other has me well covered in the east and parts of the west.

Smoky

prairie said:
Greetings... my first question is what do they call full-time RVers? We are located in western washington state and hope to actually be on the road either this winter, or springtime. For now, learning about how to organize items in this motorhome, which is 32ft!? ?... PrairieDan

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us.  Please join in any of the ongoing discussions or start new discussions relating to the RVing lifestyle.

Most the time full time RVers are referred to as fulltimers.  If you can set out before the snow flys head on down to Az and join us South of Quartzsite for the RV Forum rally in January.  Then spend the winter in sunny Az and attend the Moab rally on your way North.

Back
Top Bottom